Sign in to follow this  
Chesney Hawkes

Jez Moxey interview transcript

Transcript as posted on official site. I don''t take issue with anything he has said and the message is simple: immediate improvements are needed or AN will lose his job.

--''--''---------

CEO spoke to Norwich City TV on Wednesday

The key questions from Jez Moxey''s interview with Norwich City TV...

Q: It’s been a tough couple of days with the Boxing Day defeat at Reading followed by some passionate and angry opinions being expressed by supporters and by pundits in the media. Is the Club aware of those critical voices and the strength of feeling out there amongst Norwich City fans?

JM: Absolutely. We’re acutely aware of the fans’ opinion. The Board constantly listens to the fans, whether it’s via social media, letters coming into us, phone calls, meetings with supporters on the street – we’re fully aware of how they feel about things.

We’re all concerned, but we’re clear about what we’re trying to do and how we’re trying to achieve it.

Q: The defeat at Reading made it eight defeats out of the last ten Championship games for City. Does the Board agree that’s unacceptable considering the strong squad we have?

JM: The Board acknowledges that results just aren’t good enough. We must do better, we must do better quickly, hopefully starting with three points away to Brentford.

This is a results-orientated business, everybody knows that, and we need to start winning matches and doing it very quickly.

Q: Many clubs faced with a run like that would change their manager – is it fair to say Norwich City have shown more loyalty to Alex than some might have expected?

JM: Well I think Norwich City is unique in many ways. For 20 years, the club has been run as a community club, a co-operative style football club.

Unlike some, it’s owned by genuine Norwich City fans who want nothing more than to serve the community, serve the fan and do what’s in the best interests of Norwich City Football Club. They have no other motive.

While we’re prepared to take whatever action is necessary to improve results, we don’t believe in just following the norm in football by replacing our manager to solve an immediate problem.

We think it’s much more complex than that. We think the manager needs some time to get things right, and we want to support him.

Q: How much of the responsibility for turning our current poor form around rests with Alex Neil as the manager?

JM: He’s the manager. Ultimately, the responsibility rests with him.

After 23 games, I think everyone accepts we shouldn’t be in 12th place and we expect this team to start moving up the table very quickly.

Q: Promotion was the objective underlined by you and the Board at the AGM in November – but has the recent bad run put paid to that objective for this season?

JM: No, absolutely not. We’re 23 games into the season, we’ve got half the season remaining. Promotion remains the aim.

That may sound hollow or a really big challenge given that we’re in 12th place, but things can change so quickly in the Championship. Put a string of results together, and you can see the team climbing up the table and that’s what we expect Alex Neil and our players to deliver for the fans in the coming weeks.

Q: If we were to pick up a negative result at Brentford, would that cost the manager his job?

JM: I’m not into answering hypothetical questions or getting drawn in on timetables.

Alex Neil knows, we know, the fans know, the Board knows, everyone knows that we need to improve results quickly. But we’re also saying that we need to give Alex time.

We’re behind him, we’re in this together, we win together, we lose together and we hope that he will be able to turn this thing around.

Q: : Have members of the Board had discussions among themselves about the current situation?

JM: Well the Board talk about the football club daily. We have meetings, we go to games, we talk about the football, we talk about the manager and we talk to the manager. I’m speaking to the manager daily.

We’re all concerned about the current situation, so it would be remiss of us not to be talking about the very thing that makes us tick, which is how results are going, how performances are, how the manager is performing.

He knows he’s under pressure, we know everybody wants him to do well and so of course it’s a topic of discussion

It''s a shame that Phil Collins didn''t release all his material this way

Cheers for posting that, net too slow to watch YouTube here.

Playing devil''s advocate, am not sure what else people expected him to say?

Yes but full credit to Moxey for coming out and saying so!

It''s not what I or most would like to hear but they are sticking to their man and ethos, credit to the BOD.

It might be wrong but at least they stick by AN. Time will indeed tell if it''s the right choice.

By the way Morty, did you have a nice Christmas in the Gulf of Mexico? Happy new year to you, my thoughts and a pint will be with you on New Year''s Eve, I can sympathise with being offshore this time of year, not nice. All the best matey!

So Phil,

You don''t have a problem with any of this?

So you think the manager needs more time, like Moxey suggests? Most supporters feel he''s had more than enough time. How many managers who have experienced such a downturn actually turn it around? Our Alex is not Sir Alex. Is he really listening to what supporters are saying? I would suggest there is a difference between listening and hearing. The one thing I would agree with is that the issues go well beyond the manager and are complex, but we have good players not performing well, and a defence that looks unorganized and at times shambolic. Surely the manager takes responsibility for that? And as an aside, what on earth are we doing appointing Irvine? That''s an example of the poor decisions that have been made over the past few months. It would be great if Moxey sorts things out, but he doesn''t exactly come with a great track record.

Times have changed and the supporters have little influence on the BOD, they pay the money and make the decision on the staff.

Good for them by sticking by what they believe! Not that w have to agree.

When you try and digest that, Moxey does make it clear several times that the Board are "concerned", "that its a results driven business" and they expect results to improve and improve quickly".

Whilst they are "giving AN time" to turn things round, I read that as AN''s been given a final stay of execution, but by heck the clock is ticking loud. And it sounds like a very clear message that he''ll be gone if he doesn''t get results quickly!

So maybe not all doom and gloom. Trouble is AN loves to stick by the underperformers so not sure how he can or will turn it round

JM: The Board acknowledges that results just aren’t good enough. We must

do better, we must do better quickly, hopefully starting with three

points away to Brentford.

Is that a promise ?

Thanks for going to all the trouble of typing that Phi. Sterling work buddy. I did it the other day with that Times interview. Took forever. Took even longer for my grandad to proof read it....

[quote user="Samwam27"]When you try and digest that, Moxey does make it clear several times that the Board are "concerned", "that its a results driven business" and they expect results to improve and improve quickly".

Whilst they are "giving AN time" to turn things round, I read that as AN''s been given a final stay of execution, but by heck the clock is ticking loud. And it sounds like a very clear message that he''ll be gone if he doesn''t get results quickly!

So maybe not all doom and gloom. Trouble is AN loves to stick by the underperformers so not sure how he can or will turn it round[/quote]Agreed. The "full support" at the AGM is definitely waivering and it does just seem a matter of time now. If indeed the aim for this season is promotion, not next season or the season after, then AN really needs 2 wins out of the next 3 and Derby is a must not lose game.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Thanks for going to all the trouble of typing that Phi. Sterling work buddy. I did it the other day with that Times interview. Took forever. Took even longer for my grandad to proof read it....[/quote]How old''s yer Grandad?