Sign in to follow this  
south stand corner terrace

How important is this man Safri

Attended the Brighton Game on Saturday (Lucky Me) and although 2-1 up at half time.  Second half we were under the cosh something cronic.  Was it because a certain player went of at half time injured? 

All I do know is that he would of been the first man closing down the guy who scored for Brighton when he had a shot from outside the area.

Comments?

I fear we''ll have to get used to life without him, not through injury but through Ramadan. Expect to see him on the bench in upcoming games.

i think people are doing saf and worthy a diservice by assuming that worthy won''t play him or that saf won''t be able to perform. last year he was coming back from injury and was not on form anyway (liverpool away i seem to remember was a particular mare) - i don''t think the fact he didn''t get many games at the time was entirely due to Ramadan.

it''ll be interesting to see what happens, but i think if he''s fit nigel will pick him and he will be ok. i''m more worried about him going to play in a world cup qualifier with a minor groin strain already. selfish, but i hope he doesn''t go!

i have to say that when he first arrived here i was really not excited about him coming, i thought if we wanted to stay up we needed better players than him, but to be fair to him, in time i think that he has shown what a player he is, i do think that worthy should have played him more often last season as well as Helveg but thats history no. he can ping the ball around anywhere he desires to and can tackle well. regarding the ramadan of course i hope that he plays but if it affects Norwich and more importantly his health he should not play. if he is out maybe we might see the man who we thought would be decent jason Jarrett, because at the moment he is looking a waste of money.

"Not all Norwich fans are from Norfolk some are from Suffolk so there!"

Hopefully Ramadan wont affect us too much.

But am I right in thinking the African Nations Cup is this winter?

Does anyone know how much ( if at all) this will affect us/ Safri?

Ok then peeps I''ll repeat what I was told by Neil Doncaster (and Pete can back me up on this) yet again.

At an informal gathering a few weeks ago at the Fat Cat in Norwich, I asked Neil Doncaster "what would be the situation regarding playing Safri during Ramadam?" To which he replied " Nigel has made a decision that he will not be playing him during Ramadam as it''s not fair on the player or the team"

If NW does do a u turn, I for one, will be very pleased, but somehow I can''t see it happening.

It will be interesting to see what time that the international does kick off between Tunisia and Morocco though? I''ll bet it''s after sunset, as I would have thought that most of the players will be Muslims, so hopefully Saffers could play in our evening kick off games i.e. Luton, Brum and Cardiff.

As for the ANC I think Pete has posted the dates on here before, and as Morocco always do well, I would expect him to be missing for most of the weeks it''s on.

Perhaps regarding the will he/won''t he play during Ramadan issue we can glean some encouragement from this:

If Worthy has no intention of Safri playing at all during this period, why when quizzed on Safri''s groin strain and participation in Morocco''s qualifiers did he respond thus:

"If it''s (the injury) nowhere near right then he has got to get back here as soon as possible so we can make sure he is fit for our next game."

>> "Nigel has made a decision that he will not be playing him during Ramadam as it''s not fair on the player or the team"

I hope thats not true and that Worthy will live by Safri''s claim that since he has done this for 10 years, he knows how to handle it.

Personally, on Safri, he IS 50% of our team at the moment. I''m scared shitless whenever he isn''t on the pitch. He was an absolute bargin at £500k.

Not just his commitement, his positioning, his covering of roving defenders, his passing, his shooting, etc etc his touch and control are first class - he truly is a class player, and we''d be in *so* much trouble without him!

Whether Saf plays Ramadan or not he clearly is important with regard to doing anything this season.  IMO he should start and withdrawn if it becomes too much.  He has played through it before.

Of more concern is that his contract expires June 2006.  I would think with current good feeling toward Saf the club ought to be looking for a contract extension certainly before Jan. 

[quote]Ok then peeps I''ll repeat what I was told by Neil Doncaster (and Pete can back me up on this) yet again. At an informal gathering a few weeks ago at the Fat Cat in Norwich, I asked Neil Doncaster "wh...[/quote]

Don''t believe everything the PR spin machine tells at these so called meetings, after a time of attending these the same answers come out to every question. Infact I could probably answer the question before doncaster could!

On safri only time will tell if plays or dosen''t. I for one don''t think we can do without him.

I think the African Nations Cup is from 20th January til 10th February in which case if Morrocco went the distance he would miss:

Watford (h)

Reading (a)

Ipswich (h)

and possibly Hull (a) as that is on 11th Feb

All in all not too bad (thanks to an international weekend in the middle) although we would do with him away at reading and the scum will be delighted he won''t play for us against them!