Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

As bad as the Chase era.

You can have your opinion and I''ll have mine. I believe our support has been numbed down by years of mediocrity, almost more interested in the attendance than what''s happening on the pitch. Football as a game has changed in that time, also our fan base has changed. The fans that protested against chase are older now and our crowd on a match day I would hazard a guess is quite a lot older average age than a lot of other clubs.

Opinions are opinions but facts are facts.

Are you being hypocritical and admitting you only protest on here JF? Or is your support confined to on here? Whichever, this continual criticism of our fans is unpleasant and tedious.

Sorry I forgot to add ....... to the end of my post for sarcastic impact

You can take it how you want but as I''ve already said I am including myself in this criticism. I still attend matches but the feeling I had for the club and events has numbed significantly

So after all this time you''re actually saying you''re a happy clapper who turns into something else posting on line. We''ll done.

No I wouldn''t say happy clapper. But I certainly don''t care so much

A Load of Squit wrote the following post at 01/01/2017 1:24 PM:

JF wrote:

I believe our support has been numbed down by years of mediocrity,.

"Years of mediocrity". Well, that''s not true.

Yes it is.

decent years under Delia Smith.

The season we were promoted with Huckerby was good.

Lamberts 1st year in the PL was very good.

Hughtons 11th place finish in the PL was a great league place on paper but not too great on the pitch. Still a Very successful season.

The promotion at Wembley was great but a minimum expectation for that season.

Every other season has been mediocre and in many cases worse than mediocre with an unacceptable relegation to league 1 thrown in.

[quote user="JF"]A Load of Squit wrote the following post at 01/01/2017 1:24 PM:

JF wrote:

I believe our support has been numbed down by years of mediocrity,.

"Years of mediocrity". Well, that''s not true.

Yes it is.[/quote]

May 2015, the ''mediocre'' semi-final win over 1p5wich, and the ''mediocre'' day at Wembley.That''s unless these examples did get you pulse racing a bit?

Already said that the promotion season at Wembley was great but a minimum expectation for that season. As I is for this one

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 01/01/2017 1:48 PM:

*clap clap clap* "my behaviour disgusts me so much I can''t wait to get online and all angry at myself"

No you have finally accepted your shortfalls you can move on and do something about it.

[quote user="JF"]decent years under Delia Smith.

The season we were promoted with Huckerby was good.

Lamberts 1st year in the PL was very good.

Hughtons 11th place finish in the PL was a great league place on paper but not too great on the pitch. Still a Very successful season.

The promotion at Wembley was great but a minimum expectation for that season.

Every other season has been mediocre and in many cases worse than mediocre with an unacceptable relegation to league 1 thrown in.[/quote]

It''s the exceptions that prove the rule.I recently watched the excellent dramatisation about John Christie starring Tim Roth. Apart from the murders and the petty crime he was a very mediocre chap but he''s never remembered for that.

A Load of Squit wrote the following post at 01/01/2017 1:57 PM:

JF wrote:

decent years under Delia Smith. The season we were promoted with Huckerby was good. Lamberts 1st year in the PL was very good. Hughtons 11th place finish in the PL was a great league place on paper but not too great on the pitch. Still a Very successful season. The promotion at Wembley was great but a minimum expectation for that season. Every other season has been mediocre and in many cases worse than mediocre with an unacceptable relegation to league 1 thrown in.

It''s the exceptions that prove the rule.

I recently watched the excellent dramatisation about John Christie starring Tim Roth. Apart from the murders and the petty crime he was a very mediocre chap but he''s never remembered for that.

I refer you to your username.

[quote user="JF"]A Load of Squit wrote the following post at 01/01/2017 1:57 PM:

JF wrote:

decent years under Delia Smith. The season we were promoted with Huckerby was good. Lamberts 1st year in the PL was very good. Hughtons 11th place finish in the PL was a great league place on paper but not too great on the pitch. Still a Very successful season. The promotion at Wembley was great but a minimum expectation for that season. Every other season has been mediocre and in many cases worse than mediocre with an unacceptable relegation to league 1 thrown in.

It''s the exceptions that prove the rule.

I recently watched the excellent dramatisation about John Christie starring Tim Roth. Apart from the murders and the petty crime he was a very mediocre chap but he''s never remembered for that.

I refer you to your username.[/quote]

And I accept your apology, [:)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Pops, there were moans at sir Arthur. "No Reeves, no future, no fans". But nothing like the protests against Chase. And those protests didn''t just happen in Chases last 3 seasons, they also happened in his first 3 seasons. EGM to try and remove him? Never happened before or since. Protests, police horses on Carrow Road? Never happened before or since. Now it could be that for that small window in our history the fans were more militant than the other 107 years. Or it could be that the disconnect between the board and the fans was wider than it it has ever been in the other 107 years. I wonder.....[/quote]

Maybe there was more conviction that we were on to something really good playing wise during the majority of the Chase reign. Thing is, Double N, even if we had won the league in 89 or 93, that would not have altered SKY or BT pumping money into the game and creating a new elitism that we will never be part of.

Different era now and too many ready to make excuses about ownership and finances and miss the real point of football.

The protests against Chase had little to do with the PL until the season we got relegated. The EGM brought about by local businessmen to try to get chase removed happened many years before the PL was formed. As I said so much of this is revisionist nonsense.

But the thread was brought about because the accusation was, as I understood it, that the disconnect between the board and the fans was as bad as the Chase era. Really?

...well its not, but there''s grounds that it maybe should be.

As I said .we were relegated in ''95 after 9 consecutive years in the top division and it was considered entirely avoidable.

We spent the last 10 years bouncing around English football''s top 3 league, so promotions/relegations have become just the norm now.

Are our current owners / board members helping or hindering us presently as a club?. Clearly not enough people currently feel strongly enough that it''s the latter to make a concerted protest but an apparant unwillingness by Delia/Wynn-Jones to even entertain the idea of selling up can only be damaging?

It''s not but it should be. Really?

Why isnt it GJ? 20 years? It hardly took 20 weeks with Chase. What has been stopping you?

well if the rumours are true that the club was "minutes away from going bust" following Chase''s departure....and that Delia''s money helped saved the club, then quite obviously that buys a fair amount of credits, at least in the earlier years of her tenure.

But now that our owners no longer put money into the club and have had/are having their loans repaid back to them, we need now to question where we are going.

We still have 18 months of Premier Lge parcahute payment money coming, but if we''re still in this league when they run out, then clearly a plan of action is required to gain an advantage over any other Championship club.

If Delia/Wynn Jones have stopped putting their money in- which I would in no-way criticise them for not doing, they then need to sell to potential people who might, and a reluctance to is something I absolutely would.

Not bad nutty, six pages over what some goon said on Canary Call, who probably wasn''t even old enough to have been there. [:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]The protests against Chase had little to do with the PL until the season we got relegated. The EGM brought about by local businessmen to try to get chase removed happened many years before the PL was formed. As I said so much of this is revisionist nonsense.

But the thread was brought about because the accusation was, as I understood it, that the disconnect between the board and the fans was as bad as the Chase era. Really?[/quote]

I think you have misunderstood my post. Why I introduced the PL was because I hold the belief that even though we had two spirited attempts at winning the top division, and one was in the first PL season, even winning it would not have put us among the elite clubs.

And my point was, there aren''t skinheads calling Delia a dyke and whereas in the 1980''s the disconnect was certainly ugly, the disconnect could be equally as big but less demonstrative.

It was 30 years ago.

So the only ever EGM for the football club has been reinvented as skinheads calling Chase a homosexual. LOL.

Were you there Pops?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So the only ever EGM for the football club has been reinvented as skinheads calling Chase a homosexual. LOL.

Were you there Pops?[/quote]

No I wasn''t. I don''t think its a reinvention. I think I made the point to reiterate my earlier point that today the protest toward the owners would be totally different but perhaps no loss sincere.

But as an aside, I wonder how many people at the EGM had changed their minds by 1988 and the emergence of, in my opinion, the club''s best manager, assistant manager and team.

The EGM is totally different to the incidental of a few skinheads outside the hall. So yes it''s a reinvention.
But I agree with people changing their minds. And yes they did 1988 to 1993. With a blip in the middle when Stringer resigned and was replaced by Walker. Just like they''ve changed their minds constantly during the last 10 years dependent on results. But in essence just like with Watling, South and the current two the times where fans weren''t moaning was the exception rather than the rule. However, none of the others endured the concentration of protest and hatred that Chase did. Now you can say that was because people were less likely to protest outside of the years 1985 to 1995. I would contend that is absolute bollix. Human nature didn''t change for just 10 years and then revert back to type. So back to my original point I still contend that anyone who believes the disconnect now is as bad as during Chase era is talking poppycock.

Any comparison of footballing success between Chase and Smith and Jones has to take account of the vastly different financial circumstances in English football between those two eras.. In short Chase (and South before him) had the best of times, and Smith and Jones inherited a hospital pass.And any comparison between the antagonism of fans (and the press) then and now has to take account of the multiplying (and distorting) effect of the internet. Chase was very lucky that was not around in his day.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Any comparison of footballing success between Chase and Smith and Jones has to take account of the vastly different financial circumstances in English football between those two eras.. In short Chase (and South before him) had the best of times, and Smith and Jones inherited a hospital pass.And any comparison between the antagonism of fans (and the press) then and now has to take account of the multiplying (and distorting) effect of the internet. Chase was very lucky that was not around in his day.[/quote]

Agreed. Social media emphasises discontent but tempers the feelings as people feel more likely to give their own opinion.

People tend to be like sheep when in a crowd. I remember being at an away game in the early 70''s and probably because were drunk we started any silly chant we wanted, and the travelling support sang along without any idea why or what they were singing.

Remember the Barclay singing the rude version of Alouette at games in the late 60''s. Just a skinhead song that a few boot boys started and before you knew it the Barclay were joining in.

Baaaaarclay