Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

As bad as the Chase era.

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 31/12/2016 7:51 PM:

Which one of you lot just rang canary call blaming the fans who suport the team?

For goodness sake Nutty!

[quote user="Indy"]Chase was more successful end off. The difference is the fans have diluted to old family types who are just happy to have a club.

Bowkett is sorely missed, he was the drive behin our success over the past 6 years.

No coincidence that our serious decline is without that drive.[/quote]Wasn''t he the one who promised us mid table and we got relegated?

Not my fault Winky. The guy phoned up and blamed the fans for not protesting. Even though he was talking about himself. Just like you guys were. Stand back and look at it!

I''m amazed some of the things that are said. People who claim to have "been there". There was only just over 14,000 at Chases last game.

The Chase era is remembered badly because, at the time the relegation in ''95 after 9 consecutive years in the top division was the worst thing that has happened to our club in most people''s memories

But history has since shown, both to our club and to many others that, that was pretty smallfry and actually the norm.

I asked earlier how many bad seasons we had under Robert Chase''s 10 years here?...as under his tenure, we won Division 2 in 86, finished, 3rd,4th and 5th in the top league in other seasons, played in Europe in another, also got to 2 FA Cup semi finals, with the odd other quarter final in both competitions thrown in aswell.

Yes it turned sour in the end, and had there not have been the falling out with Martin O''Neill ,I think we would have come straight back up that season too.

I can only really rememeber 87/88 prior to that where we ever looked in any danger of relegation, where midway through the tough decision was made in sacking Ken Brown and replacing him with Dave Stringer, who then sold Steve Bruce for £800k and replaced him with Fleck for £500k and Linighan for £300k, we survived and then finished 4th the following season.

......Under Delia Smith , we''ve been down to Division 3 for the first time in 50 years.

We''ll you tell me. The complaint seems to be that we are accepting what we didn''t accept then. I guess if moaning on here counts then you''re not. But SDP probably doesn''t have keyboard police horses...

...depends what you mean by "as bad a the Chase era"?

...do you mean that the club''s situation today is as bad as it was then ?......or that the animosity toward the board is as bad as it was then?

...as I''ve said ,in ''95 after 9 consecutive seasons in the top division relegation was akin to the end of the world, especially having only having been in Europe the season before.

But a quick glance at what has happened elsewhere in football in general over the subsequent years to ourselves and the likes of Portsmouth,Coventry, countless others who have slipped to the third tier and below ie Leeds,Forest,Sheff Weds,Southampton has shown it to have been a wider trend.

Yes I spent countless hours protesting outside the main stand during the Chase Out era, dodging galloping police horses, and having police dogs let loose on me around the River end car park....but that was what the situation was back in ''95, Delia came along and bailed us financially, but that model is defunct. She is not able to move us on in our present guise and to dismiss the very notion of selling the club to more moneyed owners could be viewed as as damaging as the end of the Chase reign.

I think the guy was talking about the disconnect between the supporters and the board. It clearly isn''t. If it was then there would have been some protest even if we''re getting old and doddery. 20 years and correct me if I''m wrong but thre hasn''t been a murmer. Chase was subject to demostrations at least 3 separate occasions over his 10 years. Even when we were at our best the disconnect was there. That''s why I wonder how many people who claim to have been there actually were.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]JF was last season not another crucial time in the Premier League history with the increase in TV money?[/quote]No. The increase in TV money is essentially an illusion, since it disappears in increased wages and transfer fees. And as things stand the TV money goes up every three years, so even if it did matter there is a good chance a Norwich City relegation will sometimes coincide with the end of one deal and the start of another. There is also a good chance other clubs will get relegated in coincidence with this phantom cruciality, while we will stay up, as we did the last time the money shot up.

At least Delia wouldn''t be able to drown out the protests by deafening the Barclay with mucic as load as an AC/DC concert, as there is a hotel and big screen there now!

Purple, seriously? All the players that remained in the Prem didn''t all of a sudden renegotiate their contracts did they. More money would have been available to purchase better players and yes prices will have gone up but I don''t think they have to the amount the money increased. With the increased money we now also have enlarged parachute payments (although ours is shorter than average) which due to there very nature means we will be left further behind in the finance stakes the longer we remain in the Champs. And by judging our recent form that will be quite a while!

...for the vast majority of Chase''s era , TV revenue wasn''t even something that could have been budgeted as it was pretty much non-existent, with the amount of football that was on TV in general, we would appear once in a blue moon.

Gate receipts wouldn''t have been huge as our attendances ,even over the "golden years" would hover around the 15k mark in the 80''s early 90''s.

The only real source of income was of course player sales, whch is what Chase was most heavily criticised for , at least one big name would invariably be flogged every year....Woods,Watson,Bruce,Drinkell,Phelan,Towsend,Gordon,Fleck,Fox,Sutton etc......but what we seemed fairly good at was replacing them with decent replacements from the lower leagues or other Division One club''s reserves (the Tottenham quartet)....sadly we did this one season too far in 94/95 and this coupled with a squad of players who all aged at the same time lead to that demise.

What would Robert Chase have done if he had the Premier League millions swilling about now at his disposal in his time here...who knows?

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Indy"]Chase was more successful end off. The difference is the fans have diluted to old family types who are just happy to have a club.

Bowkett is sorely missed, he was the drive behin our success over the past 6 years.

No coincidence that our serious decline is without that drive.[/quote]Wasn''t he the one who promised us mid table and we got relegated?

[/quote]

Unlike the current BOD who made the comment.....promotion, promotion, promotion!

If we talk about the era in comparison then Chase was by far the better times. Just the way it is. You can see things different,y if you like.

As for the end, yep it was not good, but how far before this BOD deserve the same treatment? Relegation to division 3? Running up a debt of 8 million, having to sell players to cover the cost of running the club? Not allowing outside investment because it''s not what they want, even if it might be best for the club to move forward?

It''s about opinion and I loved the times under Chase, who didn''t till 95?

No one knows. Exactly GJ. Just like no one knows if Delia eng MWJ would have made us even more successful after 1985 if they''d inherited the South legacy.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Mediocrity clapped. Greedy PL eschewed. Lambert''s legacy in tatters.[/quote]

Look, get it right! It''s Lamberts GOLDEN legacy.What''s the point of these lazy cliches if you''re too lazy to use them correctly?

[quote user="Indy"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Indy"]Chase was more successful end off. The difference is the fans have diluted to old family types who are just happy to have a club.

[/quote]

Unlike the current BOD who made the comment.....promotion, promotion, promotion! [/quote]

Yes, but two wrongs don''t make you right. [:)]

It''s going to be worse than Chase.

Chase could of sold of all the land assets to clear the debt but chose to walk for the sake of his family.

Now that Delia has sold off any remaining land assets there is no pot of gold left, she''s spent the lot.

[quote user="dibbler"]It''s going to be worse than Chase.

Chase could of sold of all the land assets to clear the debt but chose to walk for the sake of his family.

Now that Delia has sold off any remaining land assets there is no pot of gold left, she''s spent the lot.[/quote]

Colney....nice bit of land...affluent area... we don''t need all those pitches and facilities after all!

Not living in Norwich I have no real idea what the Chase protests were like but all I want to add is that he was voted in by supporters as an inaugural member of the club''s now controversial Hall of Fame.

Double N, as was Arthur South who had his bad periods under his managers. Remember the sale of Reeves? And Saunders and Bond''s anger toward him over signings? Yet he was one of the spearheads of dragging this club forward.

I don''t know she still has the stadium to sell? Before Bowkett, McNally and Lambert dragged her out of that financial black hole there was talk of the ground being sold. Let''s overlook all this though cos she''s a lovely lady and a Z list celebrity

There won''t be any protests against them because people don''t seem to care as much anymore. I was 18 when we forced Chase out and I simply don''t feel the same way about football now as I did then.

JF I was 26 and big part of the anger directed to chase at the time, the funny thing was we were all angered of the forced sale of what we called the family silver, the lack of backing a good manager and the collapse and relegation, the last straw was the finances and his relationship with Carters who were lined up for more building work.

The thing is Chase prior to that was investing in land around the ground, had nine good seasons, but for some they only see the end, it Wasn''t pretty and will never be repeated as our fans like me are different now.

The Chase era was a fantastic timefor our club but went sour fast, funny enough his season is going sour fast too.

Blinkered response, no more than normal from some. Don''t tell me you lead the revolt and everything positive Chase did you write off!

I can be bothered to argue with you today Numpty, happy new year, hope you clap your heart out this year.

The current mood amongst the Canary Callers, social media and general sense of apathy amongst many of the fan base is shaping up to be a lot of anger and frustration at our unambitious owners.

Pops, there were moans at sir Arthur. "No Reeves, no future, no fans". But nothing like the protests against Chase. And those protests didn''t just happen in Chases last 3 seasons, they also happened in his first 3 seasons. EGM to try and remove him? Never happened before or since. Protests, police horses on Carrow Road? Never happened before or since. Now it could be that for that small window in our history the fans were more militant than the other 107 years. Or it could be that the disconnect between the board and the fans was wider than it it has ever been in the other 107 years. I wonder.....