Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Oliveira

Yes, ever since he went up to Mr Neil with his little wooden bowl and said, "please sir, I want some more", he has been a revelation.

Wouldn''t say he''s been a revelation - he''s not had a previously bad spell for us, a cup game here or there to get up to speed yes, but he''s grabbed the first choice striker role with both feet since coming in. The question is will he still be here after this summer, or maybe even January? He''s a talented player for sure.

Nelson Oliveira: One man''s solo mission to make play offs! If this peps Jeromes''s ideas up even better though I''m starting to think Jerome had his time in the sun 14/15.

Just watching those highlights back again, he really is absolute quality - irrespective of the calm finishing, even that smart perfectly weighted back heel that went to Jacob I think, he was just brilliant - the difficult effort from the angle on to the crossbar as the ball was moving from him was simply superb as well and underlined his ability. Love CamJam but Nelson''s comfortably the best striker we have at the club, sheer class 👍

I''m taking a bit of credit here, as was in the dressing room before the game, as part of the match day sponsors, i noticed that Pinto''s boots are layed out totally different to the rest of the players, so moved Oliveira''s boots so they were were the same and Pintos, seemed to have done the trick lol

My ''concern'' with Oliviera is that he is the type of striker who drops deep to link the play up as opposed to getting into the box - the chances we had against Brentford were due to Jerome getting into the box

However yesterday, all 3 goals & the chance that hit the bar were different types of goals

Goal 1 - running at defenders & picking his spot in the bottom corner

Bar chance - actually running against a defender before lifting it over the keeper

Goal 2 - a really well taken header from a cross that was slightly behind him

Goal 3 - reading the situation well & waiting for ball to drop instead of aimlessly trying to win the ball in the air

Another thing I have noticed is his level of footballing ''intelligence'' - his interview after the Villa game explaining how he picked his spot based on the keeper not being able to see him as he struck it etc. They are the attributes of somebody who could easily get 10+ goals in the Premier League & not your average ''blood & guts'' championship forward

Perfect hat trick yesterday if i remember correctly as well.

Haven''t seen a hustle like that from an NCFC striker since

Dare I say it

Grant Holt

what i like about Oliveira is he can score from outside the box playing as a lone striker that''s a great asset to have

places his shots alot better than Jerome

might not have jeromes workrate but workrate alone does not win you games finishing chances does

he is there to score goals and that''s what he is doing

[quote user="Alex "]Just watching those highlights back again, he really is absolute quality - irrespective of the calm finishing, even that smart perfectly weighted back heel that went to Jacob I think, he was just brilliant - the difficult effort from the angle on to the crossbar as the ball was moving from him was simply superb as well and underlined his ability. Love CamJam but Nelson''s comfortably the best striker we have at the club, sheer class 👍[/quote]He''s definitely settled really well since his short cameo at Newcastle, where he looked lost and way off the pace.  Funnily enough the only good thing about that evening was Jerome who was excellent that night.  He scored a stunning goal and kept the Newcastle defenders occupied until he came off. Not a criticism of Nelson, but you could see the difference immediately when Jerome came off, the Newcastle defenders had a much easier time, a lot less pressure on them and hence Newcastle were able to build their attacks more easily and the rest as they say is history.

When we''re looking to dominate play and probe the opposition box patiently Oliviera should play. If we''re gonna play on the counter and try to work crosses Jerome should play. In any other case it should be Oliviera first still. They''re both good strikers at this level and both have a part to play going forwards.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I also thought in 2014/15 that Jerome always had a much better impact coming off the bench. He was awesome in that play off final starting but I feel he''s at his best as an impact sub against tiring defences. That''s how Stoke used him for years and as he''s starting to get on a bit now could be a good role going forward for him.