Sign in to follow this  
Gary  Hinchliffe

The "Worthy out" boys are pathetic!!!!

2 wins on the bounce and you have all gone quiet.....................which I for one am very happy about. I admit to not agreeing with all of Nigels decisions but still believe him to be the right man to lead us back into the Prem.But do you know what annoys me most with the "Sack him" brigade...it is that not one of them has thought it through. Put the money issue to one side (it would cost us to sack Worthy and pay compensation to get a new manager.....) but I am yet to read anyone who has come up with an alternative........So until you guys can put a decent arguement together,....get off Nigels back. The players are certainly playing for him  and so as fans should we.......

[quote]2 wins on the bounce and you have all gone quiet.....................which I for one am very happy about. I admit to not agreeing with all of Nigels decisions but still believe him to be the right man...[/quote]

Of course they''ve gone quiet.

The reason people were calling for Worthy''s head was because we only had 9 points from 10 games which was and still is completely unnaceptable. It''s not a case of having a personal grudge against Worthy, just wanting the team to perform well and win games. Most of us don''t care who''s in charge as long as we''re winning. If he''s beginning to turn it around then great, the pressure will ease off.

Have you not thought that maybe without all the pressure from the fans and press, Worthy might have carried on making the same mistakes, losing games and carrying on thinking everything was all fine and dandy?

As I have said before, this board is totally, totally unrepresentative of the feelings of the majority of true fans.  The reception Worthy got from the fans at Brighton yesterday was A1.

Worthington''s green and yellow army...................

[quote]2 wins on the bounce and you have all gone quiet.....................which I for one am very happy about. I admit to not agreeing with all of Nigels decisions but still believe him to be the right man...[/quote]

Yeah , I suppose its to be expected that the " Worthy outer`s "  [ of the more rabid  variety ]  are now  significantly muted , LOL   ,  what worries me  is they must now be in a schizoid  condition ..... the more  we progress up the table , the more  ridiculous  becomes their  , knee jerk  ,Worthy out clamour !!

Even more worrying is that they may , actually , be hoping that  it all goes tits up again  , so that  they  can , yet again ,  pour scorn on  us " moderates " 

I too have noticed the moaners are quiet at the moment but worthy will only have to **** and they will start again he is doing a good job he has proved he can win the championship BY DOING IT?so he will know how to win it again i think we could do with some coaching changes but if we can''t lets go with what we have

People always come to the solution that if you throw loads of money at a problem it cure it

Leeds utd anyone would''nt want thier debts thanks

[quote]Yeah , I suppose its to be expected that the " Worthy outer`s " [ of the more rabid variety ] are now significantly muted , LOL , what worries me is they must now be in a schizoid condition ....[/quote]

Dead right sheded, and to add to their discomfort we have no match for a fortnight, so not much chance of "going tits up" as you say.

Nice to have a break from all the negativity that has been on here, its soooo depressing! We can at last support the team without being slated for being ''deluded'' - at least for a while!

Hmmm, yes, a break from negativity.

Consisting of loads of people whinging at all the people that were whinging, which will then lead to all the whingers whinging at the whinging that was being directed at them and so on and so forth.

Also, it''s always nice to get a patronising lesson from the Gospel according to Football on "How to be a real fan" etc etc.

Yes, a nice break from the negativity.

I think this board IS representative of feelings towards Worthy and NCFC, Dicky but that doesn''t necessarily mean that supporters are going to criticise their team before or during match or after an away win and surely you wouldn''t want them too either. The criticisms he''s faced throughout the season have largely been merited. Mr W Himself criticised his players after the Watford match and bombed Shackell out of the team and yet he is immune from criticism after the Reading debacle? No.

But credit to him and the players for turning matters around vs Hull and Brighton and let''s ALL hope it continues.

Well it''s actually relatively enjoyable reading these boards again, but do wonder how long it will last and will just become clogged with thread after thread about how doom and gloom everything is...

Sorry but i still want him to go. If it werent for his shocking tactics early on, we wouldn''t be this far down the table. The players have taken a bit of pressure off him for the minute! Still, i think he''ll be gone by Christmas. I certainly dont think it''s pathetic to call for his head following the poor results in early games. And worthless himself hasn''t done himself any favours with us so called ''boo boys'' following ''that statement'' he made about ''that substitution''!!!! I''ll be the 1st to call for his head when things start going wrong for him! Lets wait and see.

I''m still very anti Worthy.           

All of you pro Worthy people are dead cocky now, especially old Dicky, but wait till we play Luton soon, I''ll judge Worthy on that and the Reading game, and not on beating little clubs like Plymouth, Hull and Brighton.

Or even a depleated 10 man binners side come to that.

We have as yet, not beaten a quality top side in this division, and under Worthy, I don''t believe we ever will, sorry for the reality check.

dicky et al - you all know my feelings towards worthington - but if the team are winning then of course the pressure will ease off him, i personally dont think he is the right man to keep us in prem - BUT yesterday, he did a fine job and i was in the merry band and was perfectly happy applauding him and chanting his name, as he didnt put a foot wrong!!! the thing that angered me was bizzarre tactics, and bizzarre subs - aswell as THAT comment....yesterday there were no bizarre subs, all were enforced thru injury and he replaced them with the right players, the tactics were spot on and he acknowledged the fans at half time and right at the end aswell - if he does a good job, like he did yesterday then i will back him, he still got a lot to prove imo after our awful start but things do seem to be turning!!! OTBC

What is really pathetic is the notion that no-one should question Worthington because we havent actually named his successor.

The logical corollary of your argument is that should Worthington step under a bus, or get a better offer from somewhere else then NCFC would have to close down because there is no ''alternative''.

Whether he goes next week, next year, or next decade there will be plenty of alternatives so perhaps you should start thinking your own arguments through a little further.

" Have you not thought that maybe without all the pressure from the fans and press, Worthy might have carried on making the same mistakes, losing games and carrying on thinking everything was all fine and dandy? "

That surely takes the biscuit. At what point do you seriously think that Worthy or anyone else connected with the club thought everything was all fine and dandy'' ?

But nevermind, in the scramble to prove that the ragbag of fairweather supporters and closet binners can always outdo each other in their stupidity up pops one who is now claiming that it was ''shocking tactics'' that led us to being so far down the table.

On that rationale he must have changed the tactics as we are now climbing up the table. Yet the dimwits have always claimed he is incapable of change, that it was this inflexibility or even his incompetence that would always lead to us failing so he had to go.

So either he is not up to it or he is.

If not why the '' Lets wait and see'' cop out ? Lock of conviction in your beliefs perhaps ?

If he is up to it then shut ya gob and get behind the team and club

[quote]Sorry but i still want him to go. If it werent for his shocking tactics early on, we wouldn''t be this far down the table. The players have taken a bit of pressure off him for the minute! Still, i thin...[/quote]

I can''t agree at all, Johnny, but I have to respect the consistency of your position and for poking your head above the parapet to be shot at!I still say we would have had a better start to the season if we''d been able to field a settled side. Injuries disrupted the first half-dozen games and the results have come once we''ve been able to stick to the same 11/13 players (especially the four in defence since Watford!)Maybe I''m deluded, maybe you''re blinkered, at least we both want the best for City - we just can''t agree what that would be - I''ll keep an open mind if you will!

For all those doubters, football is all about peaks and troughs. Compare the team Worthy inherited to the team we have now. It is starting to get better, and I admit it has not been great, but the team we have now are far superior and this is down to Worthy. Fact Huckerby would not be at this club had it not been for Worthy''s man management and we would have not had our season in the premiership which has led us investing in a quality player like Davenport.

We should have beaten Reading, I felt they were very lucky.

I have just seen Hendo''s goal, absolute class, lets hope this guy gets a bit of a run

I have always been a big Worthy fan but after last weekend I seriously thought he was buckling under pressure.I still think he tends to let personal issues affect his judgement with team selection but he seems to have buried the hatchet with Mcveigh now so that can only be good for everyone.

The one thing a manager should never do is insult the fans as he did after Reading and that was the sign for all the doubters to double their negativity on this board.He''s said sorry and won 6 points out of 6 since , so of course the Worthy Out brigade are going to pipe down.

The long and short of it is that as long as the guy is doing his job well the moaners can''t moan , so lets hope he keeps the current run going...

It''s not surprising that NW should seem like he''s buckling under the pressure, because the constant sniping, rumour-mongering and undermining based on fabricated or trivial gossip is enough to wind anyone up. To say that he''s in charge is a statement of fact, not an insult to the fans, and is just a response to the sniping etc. mentioned above.

Whatever the anti-Worthy lot say, we have the best quality squad we''ve had for years. That''s to his (and the board''s) credit. However, their performance as a team often hasn''t matched up to their ability, and that''s a charge that Worthy must answer, along with the players individually. I personally see absolutely no merit, from a moral or a practical standpoint, for ditching Worthy, but he must always strive to improve in certain areas. Those areas are the same ones as I (and many others) have been on about for years - excessive loyalty (tough criticism, that one), coaching and recruiting players.

I feel that, despite Worthy''s apparent emphasis on fitness, the reason we can''t maintain the high tempo game that we play so well is a lack of stamina, and also tactical naivete: when one player needs a breather all the others take the foot off the gas, instead of pacing themselves as a team. Footballing standards at last seem to be improving, helped largely by two central defenders who are willing and able to play the ball out, but now it seems a little like we''ve discovered the 30-yard diagonal pass and we''re gonna use it: there are other tactics, and a bit more imagination would be nice sometimes. That''s being a bit picky at the moment, but it''s an example of how things need to improve.

He''s at last bitten the bullet and sidelined Flem, so maybe when he next needs to do something similar he won''t find it so hard. I wouldn''t put the blame on NW for McVeigh not playing for so long - he wasn''t even in the squad for Northern Ireland, which I think sums up how much he wanted to play football. If anything, I think Worthy is too soft, and he just allowed WLY to cruise until he re-discovered his appetite. But I guess it''s hard for a manager to force a player to put in more than his contractual minimum effort. Just as he can''t force Hux to get back down to his weight of 2 years ago, and recover the speed and agility he had then.

Which brings me to the recruitment of players. As I said, we have the best squad we''ve had for years, but we started the season understaffed, with the new signings not bedded in or not match-fit. IMO that''s why we had a poor start to the season. NW''s biggest weakness, however, is buying players and playing them out of position, or not buying players to fill vacant positions. His assessment may be that an individual player''s footballing quality is more important than his abilityin a particular role, but that''s often not the case. So we need to buy early and buy right. But all managers make mistakes in buying and selling players.

In summary, I detest and despise the sniping against Worthy, but at the same time I see that he needs to improve. I''m sure that he, as an honest man, realises that as well.

Sack him still, a year of useless decisions at the top flight and a terrible start to this season are my reasons, a couple of wins against 2nd rate sides dont change this. it is good to see us winning but keep it in perspective, we are only mid table and still way off the pace for the title race....lets see us beat and beat well a good side....then perhaps we can talk about him staying. But a couple of wins hardly changes the appalling decisions he has been making....if he does put it right and learns from his mistakes and turns it around fantastic, I am not sure he is adaptable enough to do this. But while I still want him out I hope he and you supporters of him prove me wrong and we go up as champions...I still can not see it with him at the helm....time will tell!

As far as being pathetic...I thing getting carried away at two wins against two minor sides is pathetic......it is clear people who make such posts are blind, stupid or simply have no understanding of the game.

OTBC

St.John

All I personally have been calling for is the playing of the best 11 in a system that suits the players we have.

For the last couple of games Worthy has done just that and it is no coincidence that  our sudden improvement in form and results coincides with 2 key changes that I have been advocating - a competetive midfield (although I though we wuold have to buy to solve that one) and a secure defence (the solution to which I always thought was already in the squad).  Going back to the diamond has been a major reason for our recent success so well done to nige. 

As others have said the squad is good enough (although still too thin on midfield for my liking - and having a limited safri for the enxt month is a worry) to compete and we are now doing this and can go on a good enough run to secure a promotion if this consistency continues.   Yes we have only beaten poorer teams (and that is all we can do when playing them)  but the quality of the performances is moving in the right direction - even the defeat against Reading was our best performance of the season until the manager started making some subs....  With the run of games of over the next month or so we should secure ourselves in the top six with the squad we have.

We are moving in the right direction but it remains disappointing that it took a near crisis (again - it was the same last year) for worthy to finally identify the weak performers in the team and do something about them.   

My next mini target for Worthy is for the team to be in the top six at least by the end of Oct..  anything less is not good enough.

OTBC

well if i am pathetic, good, i don''t give much thought to how i am thinking or feeling, what i feel about my team counts more

in my very humble opinion we have under-achieved this season and for many reasons - but my main gripe is well documented on this site and that is the constant under coaching and playing out of positions when other more credible personnel are available

we have had a couple of wins, i didn''t go to brighton but have spoken to someone who did go and whose opinion on the game i would say is pretty good and we did well, however brighton are not my idea of a  benchmark as to how good we really are (or can be) and hull certainly are not.  If we had recorded those wins against sheff u and reading then i would be slightly (oh yes, only slightly) more optimistic

there are signs that worthy is at last in tune with what is needed on the pitch and he has given way to selecting favourites (or at least his favourite athletes) and picked the best man for the job, i am genuinely very pleased for doherty and have to admit his goal on tuesday night has been the highlight for me this season so far, ditto the form and generally sparkling play of mcveigh

but the things i am still concerned about still worry me, i am i suppose by nature a worrier and a perfectionist so supporting a football team is not going to change that, however, for those that come on here and insult those that don''t agree with them i have news for you, this wonderful club has seen many disasters and many tough times but we will always be there come what may, it doesn''t mean that the "worthy out" crowd, as some describe us, are wrong and you are right, it means we all see things differently and that we respond to such in a different way.  If i was a truly negative person i would not have been supporting norwich all my life nor would i have inflicted the curse on my two children

we should have played the majority of the games so far and won, if we are to be serious promotion contenders we are going to have to win the remaining games at home and dictate them and win or draw away from home more often than not

[quote]" Have you not thought that maybe without all the pressure from the fans and press, Worthy might have carried on making the same mistakes, losing games and carrying on thinking everything was all fine...[/quote]

I can never quite tell what to make of you Mad Dan.  You are (as far as I can ascertain from reading your posts) an intelligent man, yet you always ruin what is normally a well a structured argument with puerile insults and name calling.

Back to to topic,  I am in agreement with the comments of Zipper and Old Boy.  Worthy has made mistakes (some howlers!) but all in all the club is in a much healthier position that when he arrived.  The squad and team are vastly improved, he did win this league and the finances have improved due to that.  He has done a lot for this club and no one can take that away from him.  This does not mean however that he is immune to criticism nor does it gaurantee that he will get us promoted again.

What I find bizarre about this forum at the moment is that people are not taking it for what it is, A FORUM.  People come on here to discuss all things City good and bad.  No one who criticises Worthy or the team on here wants City to fail, nor do the intend to turn up to games and boo.  On the flip side, people who are backing Worthy are not blind and I''m sure no one will argue we had a good start to this season.

This forum is a place for discussion, it''s just such a shame that some people on here refuse to listen or accept a different opinion, whether it be Worthy In, Out or whatever.  Different opinions are what makes this board great fun but at the moment Nazi Germany was more tolerant to different idea''s than some of the posters on here.

Well I used to be indecisive......now I''m not so sure......no I''m not?.....yes I am?.....Oh'' dear I don''t actually know where I stand?.........

Maybe I''m a ''Path'' without the ''etic'' as I sit on the narrow (ooh!) fence regarding our manager, and his fluctuating performance since being anointed/appointed with the responsibility of running the playing side of NCFC.

He has done an exceptional job to "Ger'' us up thar!" but now we are back to square one, and after a stuttering and splutterring start, seem to be getting our act together on the pitch. I think his personality may be a factor with a percentage of the ''OUT'' brigade, he is a pleasant chap- but maybe comes across to some as stone-faced, predictable and an unemotional monotone dialect "Dalek" type..... 

I (like many) had my serious doubts, when the reins were transferred from Brian (Blarnymeister) Hamilton to Nigel W, as he wasn''t my initial interpretation of a man that could bring success to this club- as he had "peaked and troughed" at Blackpool. He has shown my judgement to be somewhat incorrect after we were successful in achieving promotion with a bit to spare.

A 6-0 defeat againstt ''Harrods 1st XI'' on the last day of our brief excursion in the Prem surprised me. A defeat I could have handled, if the squad had given their all and had left the pitch sweating like a Grand National winner, having performed to the best of their ability. But they didn''t! and that''s what hurt! I think that heavy defeat overspilled to our poor start this season. When the chips are down, a good motivator is required to lift individuals and the team as a whole- and then they get out there and do the business! I think this is where Nigel is probably lacking, but that is my opinion. Sacking him at this time isn''t the answer, and as others have stated; the indication will be how we fare against Wolves, Sheff Utd etc both home & away. Then we''ll see if we are "Worthy" of promotion! OTBC ;~)

I''m not pathetic.......just not easily pleased! 

St John is right- two wins against smaller sides with fewer resources does not suddenly make everything OK.

However its clear that if Worthy is starting to learn from past mistakes and pulling things round then there is little point in a change. The evidence is not there yet to any meaningful degree.

The "Worthy Out" brigade are not (except a few) anti- Worthy full stop, they started to feel that matters were getting to a state where Worthy seemed to have failed to get the most out of his players and matters were getting worse not better. Two small wins does not change that. 10 more wins in the next 12 games may well do so.

So when City lose a couple of matches, I suppose we''ll get some rubbish such as "The Worthy lovers have gone quiet- what a pathetic miserable little bunch".

Of course the best option, which does not appeal to those of an abusive nature, is to look at the hard truth of what happens on the pitch and decide whether what you are seeing is what you expect. And that needs to happen over a good number of matches.

Worthy has accrued many debits in the last 12 months and only a few credits, I am sure that the one thing we are united on is to see more go in the credit bank.

Well said Saint Canary. The general populous of this board want the same thing, to see our team winning, playing good football and in with a chance of the top 6 come the end of season shakeup. We''ve all suffered a lot of frustrations this season and this seems to have led to civil war on the board. Simply put we were underachieving over the first ten games and that led to some of us feeling that perhaps it was time for a change. I myself was in the (moderate wing of the) Worthy out camp, concerned at our tactics and the need to turn things around quickly. With the board backing the manager I am happy to see if these positive results continue over the second block of ten games. Whilst we watch these games I''d love to be able to come onto this board and continue to discuss all matters NCFC with my fellow fans. What I don''t want to see is this petty name calling, I''m a better fan than you mentality, ''loyal supporters'' and most insane of all the whole you''re a binner if you disagree with me line. In the last two months the standards on here have taken a nosedive, lets get back to the standard of discussion we''ve historically had.

I''ll be honest I really couldn''t care less what any of you think of me, or whether you take any account of my views.

I post on here and other boards because I have an opinion and I believe that anyone who has an opinion should voice it out loud and give people a chance to respond.

Unfortunately a group of you do rant on without listening to reasoned argument, fortunately it would appear that there are some at the club (maybe even including Mr Worthington himself) who do listen and have taken account of the views that have been expressed.

For that I am thankful of the more intelligent posters on both sides and am glad to be tagged a WOB rather than a KTF.

If this club does go onwards and upwards then it is because lessons have been learned.

Worthy out as far as I''m concerned, just because we won a couple of games against Hull & Brighton...wonderful stuff.

He''s not the manager to provide us with continuity and consistency - he''s done a good job but we need better.

Saint Canary, put bluntly you are wrong

" No one who criticises Worthy or the team on here wants City to fail, nor do the intend to turn up to games and boo."

Yes the do. A few posters have said they would be happy for us to lose if it led to the sacking of Worthington. And many were on here calling for fans to turn up at Carrow Road and protest loudly. Others have repeatedly booed Henderson as soon as he ran onto the pitch.

"This forum is a place for discussion, it''s just such a shame that some people on here refuse to listen or accept a different opinion, whether it be Worthy In, Out or whatever."

That is ridiculous. An opinion doesn''t have validity simply because it is expressed. Anything posted on a forum is open to debate and examination. All to often this is a defence used by those who cannot support their arguments. A spurious claim that they cannot express their beliefs or that no one is listening.

If I was to claim that City should sell off all their top players in January to finance an attempt to sign Wayne Rooney some suggest that I was an idiot and that my idea should be accepted. Who would then be the idiot ? The person who pointed out my idiocy or the person who claimed that my idea should be accepted.

In that light dimwit is therefore hardly a ''puerile insult '' for someone who hasn''t bothered to think out his or her thoughts. Nor, I would argue, is there much wrong with the ''name calling'' that refers to those who constantly post up anti City thoughts and threaten to stop going to Carrow Road when the sun has stopped shining as "fairweather supporters and closet binners"

" ...but at the moment Nazi Germany was more tolerant to different idea''s than some of the posters on here "

You ask for tolerance but not tolerance for all it would seem. All posters are equal but some more equal than others. This is a football forum. If some replies are robust then that reflects the nature of the game and the passions involved.

Fight your corner and put up your arguments. Lets keep some part of our game a contact sport if it is only the fingers hitting the keyboards.

Woah there MadDan, that soap box is a little big for you.

Unfortunately you have not, once again, noted that there are fervent Worthy Out nutters, fervent Worthy In nutters and a group of us - you included - that would just like to see some improvements made and our only difference of opinion is the timescale within which we would like to see these changes.

Get down off your high horse and stop preaching. Although there are morons who think booing Hendo or Flem is a good thing, and others that want us to lose to get rid of Worthy, there are also an awful lot of people that would just like to see us playing good football, on a regular basis, and see us make the most of the talent we have at our disposal.