Sign in to follow this  
king canary

'Witch Hunt'

My thoughts were more to do with subs effecting on the opposition, and how they have set up on the day, to counter their play.

The ''mistakes'' thing is certainly relevant to the players, that there is no doubt, but it was more in reference to AN admitting, straight after a game, that he had set the team up wrong, or picked the wrong team, having had all week, and a host of coaches by his side, to prepare.

Ultimately it doesn''t matter too much what he says unless it is a window into his psyche and how he relates to the players at Colney.

However I would prefer it if he just came out and said we''ve all made mistakes, including me, certain things have not been working so they have all got their heads together, discussed things and are working on getting things better in the future so that such a run does not occur again.

"Witch hunt" doesn''t seem too far off the mark to me, judging by this thread, the tenor of some of the stuff posted on social media, and the general insistence on putting the most negative interpretations on whatever AN says. He didn''t say he bore no responsibility for the poor results; what he clearly meant was that the flak he is taking is disproportionate and (as in a witch hunt) unjustifiedly demonises him. Hughton was subjected to similar levels of arrogant nastiness. I rather like AN''s pugnacity and his preparedness to give two fingers when fully deserved.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]"Witch hunt" doesn''t seem too far off the mark to me, judging by this thread, the tenor of some of the stuff posted on social media, and the general insistence on putting the most negative interpretations on whatever AN says. He didn''t say he bore no responsibility for the poor results; what he clearly meant was that the flak he is taking is disproportionate and (as in a witch hunt) unjustifiedly demonises him. Hughton was subjected to similar levels of arrogant nastiness. I rather like AN''s pugnacity and his preparedness to give two fingers when fully deserved.[/quote]

So are you comfortable with relegation and then losing lots of games, in the manner we have, without asking any questions of the manager?

Was his chance to draw a line under it all. Say something like we all want the same thing etc, let''s all pull in the same direction etc, get everyone back singing off the same hym sheet . But no he comes out and says that, and people will pick up on that if we follow that result up with more performances like we have done previously. Seems happy to take the plaudits for winning manager of the month but when his team under performs and loses 8 out of 10 it''s a "witch hunt". Any manager at any level would rightly be under pressure for that run of results.

Sorry Westcoast, but that''s unsubstantiated rubbish.

If Newcastle or Brighton had lost 8 in 10 games the level of flak towards the manager would be a lot worse than what he got here. In fact, it was only in the last few games the crowd have shown any discontent whatsoever. I presume, based on your post, that you don''t attend games and simply base your opinion on some very reactionary twitter posts.

[quote user="hogesar"]Sorry Westcoast, but that''s unsubstantiated rubbish.

If Newcastle or Brighton had lost 8 in 10 games the level of flak towards the manager would be a lot worse than what he got here. In fact, it was only in the last few games the crowd have shown any discontent whatsoever. I presume, based on your post, that you don''t attend games and simply base your opinion on some very reactionary twitter posts.[/quote]I agree, hogesar. The only point I would make is that Neil is probably as much (or even more) talking about the EDP''s coverage. If so, he is just as much off beam. I haven''t seen anything (apart from one dodgy headline) that overstepped the mark, given what an appalling run of results we have had.

You can''t get all precious if Neil flings a bit back

He''s not exactly mooned the Barclay

Like I said, good to see some fire

I''ll reserve judgement as to if a corner has been turned

I guess that''s how he feels. I get the impression some players feel like that too. I also think it''s interesting that this comment will probably create more reaction than the match thread this week.

A comment like this would be much more justified if we had gone the next 6-7 games playing at the same level we did yesterday. Making this comment after one good performance seems rather hasty, hope it doesn''t end up backfiring on him.

LDC - "emotions run high during a match and are understandable"

So AN can behave however he sees fit during a match as emotions are running high, yet you call fans ''numpties'' and continue to critisise our behaviour when (speaking for myself), emotion was certainly high when AN made one of the worst decisions I''ve witnessed at CR. It was also just another poor decision after many previously.

My emotions are based on over 20 years of support, why can''t I express my dissatisfaction whenever during a game yet AN (and his 2 years of managing the club) can and you''ll defend him over it?

Morty

It''s because he is Scottish?

Jesus Christ, you don''t half talk $hit.

Morty getting all emotional like all his kind 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I love LittleDickCanary ... he brings out the best in people ,,, look what happened yesterday after he told us how to behave 😳

[quote user="GJP"]He just can''t help wanting to sound hard done by or that he''s been made a scapegoat.

I think he made a comment about him preparing the team no differently which, again, was shifting the blame to the players for the poor form.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Since when did being Scottish make you more emotional? [/quote]I didn''t say or mean the Scottish are more emotional, just that if you know scottish people, you will know that they tend to show their emotions more readily than other nationalities.  Is that stereo typing, I don''t know, but it is fairly accurate in my experience.

[/quote]What about all those Italians wearing their hearts on their sleeves? Mama mia....Put the shovel down and quit now before this latest hole gets any deeper.....[:D]

Here''s another hunt

http://www.cornwalllive.com/police-hunting-bude-cocaine-dealer-blake-donnellan-who-did-not-return-to-prison-from-christmas-break/story-30027214-detail/story.html#DWooM7kOlqO0Gxyt.30

Just as amusing, I bet this bloke is in disguise with a ginger wig and looking similar to Russ Abbot

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]"Witch hunt" doesn''t seem too far off the mark to me, judging by this thread, the tenor of some of the stuff posted on social media, and the general insistence on putting the most negative interpretations on whatever AN says. He didn''t say he bore no responsibility for the poor results; what he clearly meant was that the flak he is taking is disproportionate and (as in a witch hunt) unjustifiedly demonises him. Hughton was subjected to similar levels of arrogant nastiness. I rather like AN''s pugnacity and his preparedness to give two fingers when fully deserved.
[/quote]

I think at 90% of clubs in the top two tiers, AN would have been sacked some time ago after the results he''s had (taking account of the squad he''s got) over the past 12 months.  And in terms of criticism in the press and on this website, most of it has been entirely justified and proportionate.  If we''re talking about social media, TBH that''s a cesspool and any public figure has plenty of nasty stuff posted about them so that''s just part of the job to deal with.  I''m not sure who you think AN is giving a well-deserved two fingers to, after a single good performance preceded by a lot of poor performances.  IMO if anything he''s got off quite lightly so far in terms of the reaction of the fans to a shocking run of form.

So if he thinks that''s a witch hunt, he''s in for a rude awakening if results continue as they have done over the last 2 months and the fans really turn on him.

[quote user="Number 9"]

So are you comfortable with relegation and then losing lots of games, in the manner we have, without asking any questions of the manager?[/quote]

Who said anything about not asking questions?

That would be natural when things aren''t going well but spouting repeatedly he''s clueless and should be sacked immediately isn''t a question or even a vaguely sensible response when you''ve no real idea why things are going wrong.

IMO this particular round of ''should the manager be sacked'' has been very dull compared to similar situations in the past because the debate on here has been utterly simplistic and superficial.

Anyway to return to the theme of asking questions I find I rather like AN''s habit of saying what he actually thinks when he''s asked a question instead of mouthing the ludicrous, standard and entirely predictable cliches that nearly all managers and players come out with.

[quote user="GJP"]He just can''t help wanting to sound hard done by or that he''s been made a scapegoat.

I think he made a comment about him preparing the team no differently which, again, was shifting the blame to the players for the poor form.[/quote]

I heard that and came to the same conclusion. What he didn''t mention was that 3 players, Klose, Wes and Olivera who had previously been deemed not good enough, made all the difference.

dj11

What he didn''t mention was that 3 players, Klose, Wes and Olivera who had previously been deemed not good enough, made all the difference.

Truth is you can add Martin and Naismith to those 3, as neither have figured much during this horrible period.

Yer I didn''t like the way he said "I prepared them no different" already shifting the blame on to the players.

Also like the way he was talking about the transfer window. Just didn''t like his tone in the whole interview. Massive chip on his shoulder.

[quote user="lake district canary"]He is always honest in what he says and he hopefully won''t change that.  People will have to get used to it......players and fans.   Some don''t like hearing the truth, but that is their problem.  We''ve laid to rest a few ghosts now - clean sheets are there, we have a genuine goal scorer, we''ve beaten a top ten team - convincingly - the players ARE playing for the manager, despite all the social media/message board nonsense which says to the contrary. We look as good as anyone when on song - so the future is bright. AN keeps a level head - doesn''t get too carried away with wins, doesn''t lose his head at setbacks. A good example to all of us, imo. 

[/quote]

you keep deluding yourself Lakey.....

For those of us that listened to his post match presser he once again showed himself as the prize pr1ck we already know him to be

He claims there isnt room in the team for Nelson and Wes?

He stumbled by his best starting 11 yesterday by chance due to injuries and suspensions....

[quote user="Baywing"][quote user="lake district canary"]He is always honest in what he says and he hopefully won''t change that.  People will have to get used to it......players and fans.   Some don''t like hearing the truth, but that is their problem.  We''ve laid to rest a few ghosts now - clean sheets are there, we have a genuine goal scorer, we''ve beaten a top ten team - convincingly - the players ARE playing for the manager, despite all the social media/message board nonsense which says to the contrary. We look as good as anyone when on song - so the future is bright. AN keeps a level head - doesn''t get too carried away with wins, doesn''t lose his head at setbacks. A good example to all of us, imo. 

[/quote]

you keep deluding yourself Lakey.....

For those of us that listened to his post match presser he once again showed himself as the prize pr1ck we already know him to be

He claims there isnt room in the team for Nelson and Wes?

He stumbled by his best starting 11 yesterday by chance due to injuries and suspensions....[/quote]
Is this the royal we Baywing?

Many comments on this thread from people who admire his honesty in interviews, I agree, but if shifting blame from himself on to the players and fans is his ''honest'' take on things, I can''t help but feel some concern. Imagine being a player and hearing those subtle yet spiteful comments after a huge performance and victory...