Sign in to follow this  
The Unsullied

Let's not get carried away

We are on a horrendous run, we have one one solitary game

We are not world beaters and we are still massively under performing

Enjoy the win but we are far from out of the woods

Neil is still on probation

How can 2 games unbeaten, no goals conceded, making a Top 6 side look poor, be classified as horrendous TU?

New Year must have been a hoot in your house

[quote user="The Unsullied "]Quote me the entire 2016 stats and then come back to me. A horrendous run it is matey[/quote]The 2017 stats aren''t too bad. We could improve on our pass %.

More unsullied nonsense from an aptly named poster.  How far do you want to go back anyway?  The best "stat" is one that is based more on reality - that is that you are only as good as your last performance.   We anhialated a team in good form with an excellent defensive record. That is the benchmark and what we cam aim for every game from now on.

You''re setting the bar a tad high if you expect us to be ''world beaters''.

Enjoy the win, enjoy the hat trick and enjoy the clean sheet - against a decent opponent.

We might have turned a corner ... we might not - but you have to wait until Rotherham at the earliest to moan now.

Are you impressed with yesterdays game TU? Do you think we are going in a better direction than we were a week ago? Did you see anything different to yesterdays performance, to anything else you had seen in 2016?

The clapping may well die down after some of our better players have left.

[quote user="Len"]The clapping may well die down after some of our better players have left.[/quote]

I expect there will be a million reasons why they weren''t very good anyway or that they were in a liaison that they shoudn''t have been and moral will be so much better now that they''ve gone.The clapping will probably be louder.

[quote user="The Unsullied "]Crabby one swallow and all that!

Yesterday was a statistical anomaly not the norm[/quote]Lmao. Winning convincingly against a form side is a statistical anomaly. Yeah, right.

[quote user="lake district canary"]More unsullied nonsense from an aptly named poster.  How far do you want to go back anyway?  The best "stat" is one that is based more on reality - that is that you are only as good as your last performance.   We anhialated a team in good form with an excellent defensive record. That is the benchmark and what we cam aim for every game from now on.

[/quote]

Yes it''s a benchmark for what we can aim for and what we should expect (a performance if not result) but history shows we have been woefully inconsistent of late and I''m not getting carried away by one (very impressive) win.

I''m loving the feeling of a convincing win as its been a while but ignoring the last few weeks and thinking we''ve turned the corner is (for now) foolish.

Football is a funny game that can turn on one incident. We were apparently struggling for the first 15 minutes and then the Derby County keeper got his positioning wrong by only two or three feet and we were transformed. Now we will probably never know if Neil would have got sacked, and whom Moxey had lined up as a replacement, and whether that would have been better or worse, or pretty much the same. Or when certain much-missed[:(] posters will be back. For the moment, seemingly, as the poem says: "My heart''s in the Highlands, my heart is not here."

You''re right.

More so for the Scottish folks, we know how over emotional they all get.

[quote user="morty"]You''re right.

More so for the Scottish folks, we know how over emotional they all get.[/quote]

I was possibly a bit more emotional than most yesterday as I have some Scottish blood on my great, great, grandmother''s side. One game doesn''t suddenly make everything all right, although the win was very welcome and well deserved. It doesn''t alter the FACT that we have won just 20 of our last 62 league games. The start of the season''s objective was automatic promotion. AN has already acknowledged that this will not be achieved. The only thing left to prevent this being a dreadful season is promotion via the play-offs. One win will not achieve that. Consistently high levels of performance are required. I am not convinced that AN is capable of getting a team to produce the necessary commitment and effort on an ongoing basis. I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

I certainly wouldn''t say we were struggling for 15 minutes.

More two similar teams finding their feet. After that, there was only 1 team in it.

been here before after the brentford game - it was a joy to watch.

this squad has this level of performance in them; the challenge is whether there is a further 13 of them from the remaining 21 games. none of us know which version will emerge from the tunnel week to week.

Rotherham will tell us more again.

And we have the top teams to come here yet.

Enjoy it while we can but consistency is the key

Derby was different to the Brentford win. I know we won 5-0 but I don''t think we actually played that brilliantly and I said so at the time to the happy clapper brigade. Brentford were awful but still had the opportunity to spurn several gilt-edged opportunities. The scoreline flattered us and I did not come away from that thinking Neil should be spared and that things were looking rosey again. I was still convinced we would lose the next game and possibly the next few. I felt similar after Villa as well. We scraped a win against a team who looked abject.However, the Derby match was different. We were up against an opponent who were top two in the form table who didn''t even play that badly. Yes, Ruddy had to make two top notch saves, but other than that we kept them in their box, dominated, scored three and could have bagged treble that number. I haven''t look at the stats but I''d guess our shots on target was in double figures and our overall shots in the 20s. I haven''t seen that from a Norwich side since Neil first took over.Unlike after the Brentford and Villa games, I actually now fancy us in our next fixtures.But then it is the hope that kills you. If this does prove to be another false dawn I expect the backlash from the fans will be even more vitriolic and intense that before. An abject performance against Rotherham backed up with a home defeat to Wolves and I think Neil will truly learn the meaning of witch-hunt.

[quote user="canarydan23"]Derby was different to the Brentford win. I know we won 5-0 but I don''t think we actually played that brilliantly and I said so at the time to the happy clapper brigade. Brentford were awful but still had the opportunity to spurn several gilt-edged opportunities. The scoreline flattered us and I did not come away from that thinking Neil should be spared and that things were looking rosey again. I was still convinced we would lose the next game and possibly the next few. I felt similar after Villa as well. We scraped a win against a team who looked abject.However, the Derby match was different. We were up against an opponent who were top two in the form table who didn''t even play that badly. Yes, Ruddy had to make two top notch saves, but other than that we kept them in their box, dominated, scored three and could have bagged treble that number. I haven''t look at the stats but I''d guess our shots on target was in double figures and our overall shots in the 20s. I haven''t seen that from a Norwich side since Neil first took over.Unlike after the Brentford and Villa games, I actually now fancy us in our next fixtures.But then it is the hope that kills you. If this does prove to be another false dawn I expect the backlash from the fans will be even more vitriolic and intense that before. An abject performance against Rotherham backed up with a home defeat to Wolves and I think Neil will truly learn the meaning of witch-hunt.[/quote]Spot on cd23.Yesterday was the best performance of the season and in truth it did feel a bit different. That said it''s no good pretending that the crowd weren''t very twitchy before the first goal. I remember one misplaced pass produced a huge groan and I''m convinced the atmophere would have turned very hostile had Derby gone in front. Fortunately for the team and AN that didn''t happen on this occasion but unless we can develop some winning consistency it''s only a matter of timeAs you say it''s the hope that kills you but even the biggest pessimist must fancy our chances at Rotherham and with two home games against fairly moderate opposition to follow this is probably our last serious chance of making a top six finish.Insane optimists like LDC seem to think our woes are now behind us but in the real world there''s a long long way to go.

I was fully expecting a  Wile E Coyote episode yesterday except with an Alex Neil shaped hole at the bottom of the cliff. Instead he somehow managed to scramble back onto firm ground. Like I said before, there''s a first time for everything and we might just be seeing the biggest comeback since Lazarus.The playoffs are the only way up now and anywhere near a continuation of yesterdays level of performance will see us there. Solidity at the back will be the key IMO, keeping the average goals conceded below one for the second half of the season will be good enough to do the job.

Let''s not get carried away?
[IMG]http://www.edp24.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.4086456.1432581585!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg[/IMG]
OOOOMMMMGGGZZZ WE''RE GETTING PROMOTEDDD!!!

[quote user="ricardo"]I was fully expecting a  Wile E Coyote episode yesterday except with an Alex Neil shaped hole at the bottom of the cliff. Instead he somehow managed to scramble back onto firm ground. Like I said before, there''s a first time for everything and we might just be seeing the biggest comeback since Lazarus.The playoffs are the only way up now and anywhere near a continuation of yesterdays level of performance will see us there. Solidity at the back will be the key IMO, keeping the average goals conceded below one for the second half of the season will be good enough to do the job.[/quote]How do you tell the difference between "the biggest comeback since Lazarus" and "the biggest eating of humble pie since ......."? [:D]

Great win and more importantly performance yesterday but it will mean nothing if we don''t win at Rotherham. For me it was no coincidence that our return to form coincided with Wes''s return to the team. His absence for that amount of time, as well as Klose, still leaves grave concerns for me for Neil''s ability as a manager and man manager. Yes they should be left out for poor performances, but not for that duration of time and not when their replacements were bloody awful as well. Great 3 points but this must be the start of something bigger, our season can''t afford any more blips now.

"Solidity at the back will be the key "

Absolutely, Ricky. The problem with the "if they score 3 we''ll score 4" idea is that, sooner or later, teams go through a barren patch & don''t score many. This makes them what is technically described as "toast".

You''ve got to be able to defend, exciting as the perma-attacking option may look.