Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Southampton FA Cup

My son couldn''t go today so I thought it an ideal opportunity to take my 8 year old great grandson to his first proper match. I''m not a great one for lots of drinks and sweets during a game but we got through a few today and even had chips on the way back. Don''t kids walk fast these days? I was worn out by the time I got home.Anyway, it was dull and drizzly here in Norwich today and with only a half full stadium it didn''t make for much early excitement. Saints began in earnest and were soon dominating possession to the extent that City''s first real foray into the opposing half didn''t come until the 9th minute. Pritchard was brought down 30 yards out and Lewis was the first keeper to be tested when he comfortably fielded Olssons free kick. It seemed to stir the home team and for a while things were pretty even although there was a real dearth of goalmouth action.When Saints picked up the pace midway through the half McGovern had to make a couple of good reaction saves as City came under more sustained pressure. Long had a really good chance on the half hour when a breakaway sent him clear but he lifted the ball over the top from an angle when he looked odds on to score. The longer the half progressed the more obvious the class difference became and eventually on 38 minutes, Saints took a deserved lead  when Van Dijk was unmarked at a corner and volley in from 7 yards. It could have got worse when McGovern missed his punch from a corner but the loose ball was scrambled clear.The second half opened with City showing a bit more fight and they were rewarded pretty quickly when Jerome''s acceleration in the Saints penalty box was too much for Lewis and resulted in an obvious penalty. They were all looking at each other until Whitt''s picked up the ball and confidently sent the keeper the wrong way for the equaliser. It stirred the crowd from their torpor and for a few moments it looked like being more of a contest. Unfortunately it wasn''t to last as the visitors began to dominate proceedings again and City clung on until an inevitable goal midway through the half. With Tim Klose off the field the City defence was finally breached when Yoshida glanced a header past McGovern.AN swapped the Murphy''s and Bennett came on for the limping Klose but there was little of danger that might suggest an equaliser. Laffers was bunged on for the last ten minutes but apart from the odd break Saints seemed to have everything under control. Well into time added City at last had some sustained pressure and when the the opportunity came Whitt''s cross picked out Naismith who from 8 yards, deftly flicked a header into the far corner. It was a nice end to the game and the little lad certainly enjoyed it because the only time he stopped talking about it on the way home was when he was stuffing his face with chips.So in the end not a bad day and I was only 500 out in Nutty''s guess the crowd competition.[Y]

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Thanks for making the effort, Ricardo. How were the chips?[/quote]Grosvenor Fish Bar mate, excellent.[Y]

What about letting us have a report from your great-grandson ricardo? It might remind a few people that it is actually possible to thoroughly enjoy a Saturday afternoon at Carrow Road. All the carping and wallowing in self-inflicted misery is enough to get you down.

''''Grosvenor Fish Bar mate, excellent''''........ Ricardo

Took a pescatarian friend there for a Big Mack, he was delighted, fresh Mackerel fillet fried, in a bun with horseradish sauce. Top, Top Chipper.

I had a rare view of the match. Ground level on the halfway line. What quickly struck me was the lack of options this team faces when trying to move forward. Nobody seems to be able to create any space. We continually played short balls to players already tightly marked with their backs to goal and the opponents just picked them off time and time again. As usual when this does not work we resort to long high balls to an isolated striker who has no hope of gaining control and bringing in other players. My daughter an ex-season ticket holder attended her first match for some 12 years and I was fascinated to hear her quickly observe how the game has changed. She felt the game was dominated by the strong, big and physical players with the ball being in the air far too much to allow decent football to be played. Following on from this it was a fact that Howson, Naismith and Pritchard barely got a look in and Southampton dominated the midfield. Contrary to Ricardo''s opinion I thought Tettey was our best player, not because of his passing and the quality of his football, but simply because of his overall contribution re his strong physical presence in the middle of the pitch. Whilst the Saints were not that good it did strike me that we lack quality, drive and sharpness to handle the Premiership. Pretty average game.

[quote user="vos"]I had a rare view of the match. Ground level on the halfway line. What quickly struck me was the lack of options this team faces when trying to move forward. Nobody seems to be able to create any space. We continually played short balls to players already tightly marked with their backs to goal and the opponents just picked them off time and time again. As usual when this does not work we resort to long high balls to an isolated striker who has no hope of gaining control and bringing in other players. My daughter an ex-season ticket holder attended her first match for some 12 years and I was fascinated to hear her quickly observe how the game has changed. She felt the game was dominated by the strong, big and physical players with the ball being in the air far too much to allow decent football to be played. Following on from this it was a fact that Howson, Naismith and Pritchard barely got a look in and Southampton dominated the midfield. Contrary to Ricardo''s opinion I thought Tettey was our best player, not because of his passing and the quality of his football, but simply because of his overall contribution re his strong physical presence in the middle of the pitch. Whilst the Saints were not that good it did strike me that we lack quality, drive and sharpness to handle the Premiership. Pretty average game.[/quote]

Poor Naismith the fall guy again - He was excellent today and as was said last week his winding up of the opposition is fantastic.

Anyone else wonder how their goalkeeper managed to not get a red card ? First instance the handball have seen red for that but had to be at least a yellow, then the penalty I really cant think why he did not get carded for that

Tetty worked hard but largely to cover his own mistakes and couldn''t buy a pass all afternoon. Yes of course we had to go long because we couldn''t compete in midfield. It was just what you''d expect from a Championship side playing a more skillful Premier side.

Jerome is not a hold up type of striker so it''s pointless trying to play that sort of game with him in the side.

Ricardo. On reflection I did "over egg" Tettey a bit. I am actually not his greatest fan. Just thought that due to his physical presence he had more influence on the game than our "small footballers" Felt that once again we were unable to obtain any grip in midfield, basically due to a lack of quality. So we resort to long punts upfield which you and I see as a waste of time. If we can see that - why can''t the Manager !!! Jerome has certainly gone off a bit, albeit not helped by some very mediocre support. But, yes, he should have scored twice against Brentford. Interesting your point that we are just a Championship side. Bearing in mind it was not that long ago we were in the top league, does it not occur to you that in such a short space of time our "football quality" has slipped somewhat. Yes, I will get it off my chest, the Manager and coaches are not good enough. Probably the best way to support my point is - how many players have improved under Neill !!!

[quote user="vos"]Ricardo. On reflection I did "over egg" Tettey a bit. I am actually not his greatest fan. Just thought that due to his physical presence he had more influence on the game than our "small footballers" Felt that once again we were unable to obtain any grip in midfield, basically due to a lack of quality. So we resort to long punts upfield which you and I see as a waste of time. If we can see that - why can''t the Manager !!! Jerome has certainly gone off a bit, albeit not helped by some very mediocre support. But, yes, he should have scored twice against Brentford. Interesting your point that we are just a Championship side. Bearing in mind it was not that long ago we were in the top league, does it not occur to you that in such a short space of time our "football quality" has slipped somewhat. Yes, I will get it off my chest, the Manager and coaches are not good enough. Probably the best way to support my point is - how many players have improved under Neill !!![/quote]At times over run in midfield by better quality opposition so no surprise really. Jeromes been out for a while but his first touch yesterday was poor even by his own limited standard. If you have a quick player like him its probably best to play to his strengths and I doubt if anyone else would have won that penalty.Yes we are a Championship side and its no good pretending any different but I will admit that not many of AN''s acquisitions have improved us very much In fact we are still very much stuck on the plateau that we have long occupied, bottom half of Prem top half of Championship. As always we wish for more.