Sign in to follow this  
Trent Canary

Canaries World highlights for Hull

So im back at uni now. Obviously missed the Hull game, so i log onto my canaries world, and check out the highlights of the game that I missed. All they showed was the three goals, and one move that broke down! Not only that but for safris goal they only showed about two seconds of build-up!  

People, including myself have moaned about World before, but this just takes the p**s. (And im not going to start on the sound quality, whether it be the quietened crowd, or the appalling commentary.

Trent , I`ve pulled out of that outfit  !  its  a real crappy product , certainly not worth paying any money for .. the video " hilights"  are so short  that if you blink , its all over !  

Surely theres a company out there that can offer VALUE FOR MONEY !!!

[quote]So im back at uni now. Obviously missed the Hull game, so i log onto my canaries world, and check out the highlights of the game that I missed. All they showed was the three goals, and one move that b...[/quote]

Yep you got it Trent mate, they are the exact reasons I didn''t renew this year.

Thing is, its either canaries world or nothing....
i know its crap, but if i dont have world, i won''t have anything...i''m at uni in gloucestershire...

sky sports do a video service, but the football coverage is premiership and champions league only...

i have a sneaky suspision that the reason for our short highlights might be to do with a premiership bias....
when we were in the prem last season the highlights were alot longer, now thier not giving as much attention or putting the effort into us because they could be spendig their time putting up good highlights for wigan and sunderland instead...

So you just have to  grin and bear it Miller and Northern,  you might be correct Miller ,  Prem bias !   price still the same though    might be an idea  to buy a decent radio  that picks  up Norwich broadcasts ?

Assuming that they film the whole game, why can''t someone just make the whole game available to us mugs who would pay to watch it after the event! Presumably, they could put on tape/DVD and also have available for download. Would there be enough of a market? I know they do it for big games and season highlights but why not every game? How many copies would they need to sell to make it viable?

For away games especially, I really don''t understand why they don''t broadcast pictures for all games live, particularly if the game is sold out and particularly in venues like pubs around Norfolk. I really do not understand this paranoia among the football authorities of having any games on live TV on a Saturday at 3p.m. I am really not sure that many of us would opt to watch the game on pay TV if we could get to the game live, would we?

Concerning Premier, I think the audio commentary is worth the money when it works. I agree that the quality of everything else on the website is poor and don''t use it.

I approached this subject a while ago MadDan , and got , precisely , no response at all !   in effect I asked  why couldn`t  one or two people video the whole match  , burn it onto discs [ is that the right  description ? ]   and flog them  to all us punters  ,  I know I would pay a good price for such discs  !!   in fact , if I was technically competant [ which I aint ]  , and had the equipment [ which I aint got ]  I would certainly  be down there  videoing !!

The  question is , would we be treading on the likes of Sky`s toe`s  if this was done ? [ personally I`d like to stamp on them ] 

Miller ,  I`m pretty sure  that there`s  a radio of some sort that will pick up local stations ...  maybe  a top range digital tuner ? 

Yep I paid up for Canaries World this season..I don;t like to think of it as paying £35 to listen to Radio Norfolk for a couple of hours a week...but that''s what it is! The highlights seem to be just the goals, and bad quality (even on the "high" setting).

Has the BBC stopped Radio Norfolk being broadcast from it''s website now? I thought they only did that for IP addresses not recognised as being from the UK?

As I wasn''t in the country last season Radio Norfolk (and Five Live) both were unavailable from the BBC website, but my brother was able to get them on his PC. Then you can use MS Messenger (or Skype etc.) to listen to the audio commentary.

Don''t know about the video though..weren''t stewards banning people with cameras last season?!

I took the precaution of monthly payments  Oneflew , didn`t take me long to contact my bank , and cancel   the direct debit !!

Just had a look at Canaries world  advertising site , and ... there it is , " EXCLUSIVE  " video highlights !     in other words we have to buy their crappy product , or do without !   charming eh ?  ....

I wasnt aware of a ban on videoing  the games ? , but  it would explain the above ! 

All I can say is  this is now  a challenge to the ingenious !  its the rabble  against  the moneymen .... 

These video cameras  are sooo tiny these days  ,, and  work on 12 volts ,  I reckon you could fit one inside a cheap binocular .....    

A bit off-topic, & probably naive, but do the club video the games? For training purposes?

Be a bit bonkers if they didn''t.

[quote]A bit off-topic, & probably naive, but do the club video the games? For training purposes? Be a bit bonkers if they didn''t.[/quote]

Almost certainly Andrew Young !   but the club , by all accounts ,   wouldn`t  be allowed  to sell copies to  the likes of us !   ....  sickening example  of  how the big money  regards football fans  !! 

[quote]Just watched the highlights for the Brighton game. Didn''t think they were too bad. Showed a few chances other than the goal. Commentary is simply atrocious though.[/quote]

Agreed, Brighton highlights werent bad. Best effort so far.

Question though, I always assumed the commentary was done after the game. (hence why its so poor, and sounds very scripted - Some commentators can pull it off well, but not this one) But in the Brighton commentary for Mcveigh''s goal he says "Its 1-0, sorry 2-0". That would point towards it being live commentary? Anyone shed any light on the matter? Or just a very basic mistake that no one could be bothered to iron out?

I''ve wondered about the commentary - it is usually dreadful and hard to believe it is done live, maybe they just thought "it is only Norwich and Brighton, who cares if we make a mistake"?   

Have only recently joined Canariesworld, as my radio links stopped working and I was stuffed living in Surrey without being able to listen at all when I can''t go.....I feel aggrieved about paying for the coverage but there''s not a lot you can do is there?! 

Re: highlights, the Ipswich and Hull highlights really were pathetic in the extreme, but I have to say I thought the Brighton coverage was pretty good (we should certainly have had several more goals).  It is certainly interesting how much better the coverage appears to have been for last season, though - I watched a few games from last season yesterday and the coverage was much more extensive.

[quote]I''ve wondered about the commentary - it is usually dreadful and hard to believe it is done live, maybe they just thought "it is only Norwich and Brighton, who cares if we make a mistake"? Have onl...[/quote]

If you ever use FLFTV Branston, I think you will find that the chap who mouths over the foreign commentarys is the same as who dubs on CW.

I get Canaries World free with my NTL broadband - So I don''t mind the service. I go to 50% of games and watch the highlights even when I''ve been - I am amazed at some of the incidents missed, but generally it''s OK.  Some of the interviews are OK but generally the transcripts are published as Pinkun'' articles anyway.

Last season I didn''t watch it at all as the excellent Footbal First feature on Sky guaranteed 50 minutes highlights at 10 (and sometimes the whole game at 8).  I don''t know why Sky don''t do this for the Championship - half the clubs down here are bigger than the smaller Prem clubs.  e.g.

Sheff Utd, Sheff Wed, Wolves, Us, Ips***, Southampton, Palace, Leeds, Derby etc. all have bigger supporter bases than the likes of Wigan, Blackburn, Fulham etc.  

Where abouts in Surrey do you live Branston?