Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Canos intervew

Well according to Sky Sports:

Brentford have held talks with Norwich about the permanent signing of Sergi Canos, Sky sources understand.

He should be playing more. No way Jacob Murphy should be starting as much as he does. Canos and Murphy are both equal talents and as such both require even exposure to the first team, unless of cause one of them is particularly excelling and therefore un-drop-able. Jacob is doing well but doesn''t fall into this category.

Canos was class last season, and has shown glimpses of this in cup games this year.

Didn''t Liverpool insert a buy back clause in the deal to sign him?

Didn''t sound too happy not to be playing to me. At least deserves a place on the bench, to come on for a tiring Murphy imo.

Some of our recruitment under the present manager (really I''m not using this example as a stuck to beat him with) is something that has baffled and annoyed me in equal measure.

Pritchard ...played very sparingly. Did we need this kind of player? And why buy such an emerging talent if we had no room for him. We must have scouted him?

Canos - hardly played. Again why buy when we had more than enough cover?

Maddison - seen as the wonder lad by previous CEO. Bought again for decent money but not found a place in the team

Even Oliveira - took an age to get him so-called match fit

I realise we seem to have such a richness of talent but you do wonder whether we haven''t over-bought players and often in the wrong areas of the pitch? You cannot keep everyone happy but we are not Chelsea or a Prem team that can have such luxuries. The quality of players we have at our disposal you would think would grace most Champs teams. I''ve never known such a richness of squad depth in all my 50 years plus of supporting the club. But I do wonder why we have made a bit of a mess with it.

Canos has been a mighty strange signings. Bigged up in the summer as a potential key signing to replace the outgoing Redmond. Featured in a variety of roles in pre-season, and started the season too. Appeared to be out of favour for not being natural in the position AN wanted him to play (as a right winger). Disappeared from the squad to reappear and play quite well in a couple of cup games, getting some neat assists and a couple of good goals only to vanish off the face of the earth again.

But yes, our recent signings have all been a bit strange haven''t they Sonyc;

Pritchard heralded as a big signing after stealing him from Brighton''s hands only to barely feature and seemingly disappear for a few weeks every time he is played, even if he''s played quite well.

Canos - see above, very odd signing.

Naismith - another odd one - persisted on dropping Hoolahan in favour of him last year only to see us relegated. Tried to leave in the summer and has featured sparingly for us never really doing that much.

Oliveira - Finally spend a chunk of money on a striker, don''t play him for 3 months.

Paul Jones - McGovern I could understand and was a good back-up when Ruddy got injured, but I just don''t see the point of signing Jones @ 30 years old when we have Rudd and Remi Matthews as perfectly good options.

All it reeks of is the real fact that Alex Neil does not know his best 11. Keeping classy players like Klose or Hoolahan out of the side when you''re struggling to win games makes no sense at all. But what do I know, I''m not the manager afterall...

While I don''t disagree that there has been a muddled transfer policy of late, it is only fair to note that Nelson hadn''t trained since leaving Forest as he was frozen out by Benfica.

He was drastically short of match fitness and it was always going to take time for him to catch up. Also with Norwich winning the vast majority of games in the early part of the season there wasn''t a huge need to push him into the team.

Pritchard was obviously a player AN really liked and I imagine was signed with the expectation that Brady and Naismith would be sold and more money available to sign other players. He was injured early on in the season and stuck behind Wes when he returned. He has only shown fits and starts so far this season so can understand why he hasn''t featured regularly. AN rarely starts Wes away from home in the search for a more solid team and I expect he treats Pritchard, a similar kind of player, in the same kind of way.

Canos was always a bit of a gamble and when he was signed I doubt many expected Jacob to have such an impact this season. Again he hasn''t always shined on his few appearances so not a massive surprise he hasn''t featured more.

Rudd and Remi need games, Jones was free and allows the younger keepers to go out and develop.

The constant chopping and changing of back room staff has definitely been a large factor in player recruitment. Hopefully this has all settled down a little bit now and things can start to progress. From what I understand Norwich have a lot of well respect people in post now, which is certainly positive news.

Hopefully Canos gets at least on the bench for the Southampton game, would be ridiculous to write off a 19 year old who without shadow of doubt has some real talent.

[quote user="AJ"]Naismith - another odd one - persisted on dropping Hoolahan in favour of him last year only to see us relegated. Tried to leave in the summer...[/quote]
I kept seeing this stated at the time and I can already feel my blood pressure rising being reminded of it again. Is that really what happened? How do we know? I acknowledge I may have missed something (I don''t have my finger on the pulse 24x7) but the only ''evidence'' I saw about the whole situation at the time was a brief response from Naismith from a Scotland training camp, that his agent (i.e. a third party) was, indeed, engaged in discussions with Sunderland. My memory is a little hazy about the specifics but my interpretation at the time was something along the lines of Sunderland approaching Norwich to enquire about Naismith (on loan, so not a permanent exit), the latter presumably giving them permission to open a dialogue and the agent beginning investigations to scope the situation out. I saw no hard evidence that Naismith actively sought the move or agitated for it (or ''tried'' in your parlance) or showed any burning desire to leave NCFC (how sh!te must the ''personal terms'' have to have been to turn down a move away, back to the Premier League no less, if he were that desperate to leave?). It didn''t appear to reach the stage where he actually sat down with Sunderland to discuss the terms of a potential contract; it all seems to have been tentative discussion through his agent and he never actually left the training camp to make it happen. Stepping outside your dyed-in-the-wool fan''s perspective for a moment, which professional footballer wouldn''t give his agent the permission to scope the situation out if a potential opportunity to return to the Premier League presented itself? Why are fans so willing to presume (because, let''s face it, that is all we can do with the paucity of ''evidence'' available) the worst rather than the more favourable alternatives? Couldn''t an equally plausible interpretation of the ''evidence'' be that, following Sunderland''s approach, Norwich confirmed to Naismith that he may struggle for opportunities on his current form, Naismith agreed to let his agent pursue the loan move opportunity so he could prove his worth once more, Moyes told his agent that there are no guarantees at Sunderland, and Naismith decided to knuckle down and prove his worth in training, cup/reserve matches and ad hoc appearances from the subs bench at NCFC instead?
Of course, if there is actual evidence that Naismith actively asked his agent to identify potential escape routes from NCFC and Norwich, with their backs to the wall, agreed with considerable reluctance when the Sunderland opportunity arose then I hold my hands up; I missed that one. Meanwhile I prefer to continue giving people the benefit of the doubt and believe them innocent until proven guilty.
Regarding the OP, in my opinion Canos may, indeed, have been purchased as a potential replacement for Redmond, hasn''t impressed the manager (who sees a lot more of him than we do) as much as expected yet, and has found opportunities hard to come by given Murphy''s early season form. Why the compulsion to look for something more sinister than that?
Similarly for Pritchard and Maddison; what if they are more future planning than immediate need? Perhaps both have been identified as potential long-term replacements for the ageing Hoolahan. Give the latter match practice and sharpness at Aberdeen wile the former plays understudy to Hoolahan when he''s injured/suspended/out of form? If both players spend two or three further seasons at NCFC and barely ever play then why not huff and puff about it then rather than relatively soon after their signings? Is that not short-sighted, knee jerk I-want-it-right-now kind of stuff?

[quote user="ec-p"]Didn''t sound too happy not to be playing to me. At least deserves a place on the bench, to come on for a tiring Murphy imo.[/quote]
To be fair, I would be most disappointed with any NCFC squad member who, instead, confesses in an interview that he is actually quite happy to just be picking up his wages and isn''t all that bothered about whether he plays regularly for the first team or not.
Genuine question - my intention isn''t to sound provocative - but who do you feel should slide off the bench to make room for Canos?

[quote user="hogesar"]I can tell you with 100% certainty he''s not that happy here right now.[/quote]
It''s always nice to get an ITK insight and I certainly do believe what you have stated, but, in the interest of balance, are there any players currently not in the first team picture who are happy to be here right now?

To be honest, you''d expect him to be unhappy. He''s not getting a game. That''s not really AN''s fault. The problem is we haven''t really had a problem in his position because Jacob''s performed better than any of us expected. He''s a little unlucky not to have got a couple more opportunities from the bench or something this year but nothing more than that.

For your interest, Canos was doing sprints up and down the carrow road pitch with the fitness coach well after the Derby game and we''ll after the first reamers had done their warm downs. Not sure why he''s doing work on his own away from other fringe players but maybe he is being asked to shape up to AN''s fitness standards before being considered for the first team?

It''s always nice to get an ITK insight and I certainly do believe what you have stated, but, in the interest of balance, are there any players currently not in the first team picture who are happy to be here right now?

there are players in the first team that are not happy to be here right now ! let alone fringe players

As for Canos players want to play and he signed for us thinking that playing 3 plus game last season

we have to be careful with maddison used to playing even though he is young

Chip20, I''m not sure I can class telling your agent to discuss a move, loan or permanent, as not trying to leave...

I''m not blaming Naismith or anything like that, and the club seemed to be keen on getting him off the wage bill too. Clearly he wasn''t played much in the direct aftermath of the incident. I feel a bit sorry for him in that fact - but I also think it was silly of us to go back and pursue him in January when he''d turned us down in the summer. Especially as he''s not exactly gone on to become a star player for us or providing any kind of meaningful contribution on a regular basis so far...

I do see what you are saying, AJ, and my rant wasn''t really directed at you in particular (it just reminded me how annoyed I got with Naismith''s treatment at the time). I just think there is a massive difference between a player actively agitating for a move (e.g. Grabban style or by refusing to play, or by issuing ''come-and-get-me'' pleas in the media) and the situation with Naismith where he apparently allowed his agent to entertain Sunderland''s enquiry.  Surely there''s a difference between instigating an enquiry and responding to one? It strikes me that a player only really gets any say in the matter once two clubs have agreed that a discussion can happen; he''s the last person in the chain. If my employer indicated they don''t necessarily want me around for the next few months (surely NCFC would have told Sunderland where to go from the off if Naismith were vital to their immediate plans) and another offer came in I too would want to listen to both sides in order to make a balanced decision. It seems to me that Steven did just that and decided he would rather stay with us. Rather than castigating him for daring to listen to another offer from elsewhere, I am actually proud that, despite the offer of Premier League riches and an escape from the hostility he was experiencing here at the time, he chose to stay with us. Because of the obscene finance involved in football I rather suspect many fans see the phrase ''personal terms'' as directly synonymous with ''pay packet'' but my own view is that this is cynical (although I''m sure it may well be true in some cases) and that there are other aspects of a contract that players look for after they have cast their eye over the headline figure. I just thought the abuse Naismith got on this forum at the time was massively unfair given the paucity of actual evidence available. People are so prone to jumping to conclusions with scant evidence to go on. Their conclusions usually reflect their own prejudices and pre-conceptions rather than a balanced consideration of the multitude of alternative possibilities.

i wonder how much we will sell him for ?

his stock has gone down and he will want to go to brentford where he enjoyed last season

Brentford agreed the same fee as us last time so will not spend much more

so basically we have bought him and paid his wages and not gain much

Those of you questioning why Oliveira didn''t play for 2-3 months...he had little to no pre-season so needed to get up to speed

We''ve got a real player on our hands here, barring Cristiano Ronaldo who isn''t real a central striker anyway I''m struggling to think of any other Portuguese striker who is performing as well as him at the moment so wonder whether he''ll make the next squad

"maybe he is being asked to shape up to AN''s fitness standards"

Judging by the second-half ''huffing and puffing, allied to the non-performances by the first team in the last couple of months, that is not a particularly high benchmark.