Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Hughsey; Captain fantastic

I don''t think it''s any coincidence that we have looked a hell of a lot better since Hughsey has been made captain.  Nige has described him as a breath of fresh air around the club.  I can see why.  The guy is a model professional, a natural leader.  At Brighton he was fantastic.  When we weren''t making any noise, the Withdean was deathly quiet.  So quiet in fact, that you could here the shouts from the pitch.  More often than not those shouts were from Andy Hughes.  Geeing up the players, clapping his hands.  The passion in him at the final whistle too was immense. As he went off the pitch he bellowed and yelled at the away fans in delight.  It was so refreshing to see so much passion in a player. 

Yes, Andy Hughes is going to be a big influence at this club 

yeah I will agree with that- I personally wasn''t too sure at first but now he has settled he is proving to be an immense influence.

The players do as he says though- In the Hull match from my seat in the South stand you could clearly hear him shout out ''Come on lads lets get the second'' and low and behold about 3 minutes later we got it!!!!

Things are looking a lot more rosey now and a big part of this is down to Hughesy''s elevation to captain.

[quote]I don''t think it''s any coincidence that we have looked a hell of a lot better since Hughsey has been made captain. Nige has described him as a breath of fresh air around the club. I can see why. Th...[/quote]

I agree that Hughes has been an excellent captain so far but feel the reason for the change in results is due to more than just him being captain.

Combine his leadership with worthy finally identifying his best line up, changing to a diamond formation, the enforced reintroduction of WLY in a position that suits him and a change in the central of defence personnel (including the removal of the previous captain) that had been needed for all of 2005 and earlier are what have changed us from a disorganised rabble to a team that can now score from more than just a striker and looks composed in defence. (I am glad worthy has been keeping the faith with his early season tactics arent you!)

Of those factors the least important is who is captain  -  even if he is doing it well.

OTBC

Although unable to make it to Brighton this weekend (unusual for us) I too have been impressed with the enthusiasm of the guy - coming to demonstrate the same level of thanks, dynamism and engagement with the supporters afetr losing at home to his previous team Reading the other weekend would have been no easy task, but he showed his appreciation in the same manner.

He might not be the most skilfull individual in the world (but significantly better than some I''v seen over the years) but there''s no doubting his commitment - long may he continue to gee up the rest of the team, and looks like quite a good call from Worthy to give him the armband at the same time as resting Flem.

Not forgetting that Hux has returned to form as well. Personally I think hughes makes a superb captain and has had a positive effect on other players i.e the doc and hux , mcveigh

I think the upturn in form is because Hughes has been captain since we dropped Flem.

Hughes attitude is top draw though.....He came right up to the fans after we sung for 45 minutes solid away at Watford for no return and aplauded us.  He also did the same at Brighton (probably for pay £22.50 for such a cr@p hole!)

Hearing him interviewed after the Reading game, he sounded like a top bloke.

Even though he''s a Man City fan, he said he was always thinking about the fans and was well aware of how much it means to them to be acknowledged by the players etc.

Sounds like he''s a great addition to the dressing room as well as on the pitch.

I totally agree with this. Fantastic is the right word. He is there for everything. He is the first to thank the fans, the first to go and break things up when other players are in a bit of trouble, the first to go and congradulate a player when scoring.

and the perforances have improved dramatically since he has been appointed. long may he continue leading our team.

Fantastic motivator, great energy and a sound defensive midfielder. However, going forward his passing is avaerage to poor and his efforts on goal are practically non-existent. So it''s one from Hughes or Safri for the holding midfield position and A.N. Other in the January window as a creative midfielder; otherwise, we''ll get a few wins against struggling sides like Plymouth, Hull and Brighton, but we''ll do nothing against the Wolves, Sheffield United''s and Luton''s of this Division.     

i look forward to seeing and hearing him in action at the NCISA AGM next monday, always an event which supporters can enjoy, with a question and answer session with three players, one of them this time being hughes (think the others are thorne and louis-jean)

anyone else going along?

I just love Hughesy (In a manly footy way of course!) and so does Hendo I bet!.

Were it not for ''Captain Andy'' hauling Henderson back by his shirt, Ian would no doubt have got sent off for ''celebrating'' his goal in an aggressive manner at Brighton.

Hendo had already been booked, and Hughes was alert to the situation, top man, top signing (Well done Worthy!) top captain.

CarrowRoad.net

In the Reading match I noticed how much respect Hughesy still had from their fans. A few times during the game a cry of: Hughesy! Hughesy! went up from the Reading section of Carrow Road. At the end of the match, as well as applauding the City fans, he made the effort to go over and applaud the Reading supporters. I thought that was a nice gesture.