Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

What do we actually need in the window?

All this about having one of the best squads in the division, i assume therefore our requirements aren''t that great and we won''t get a load of crying fans bleating about lack of activity in the window. Yeah right!

As far as I can see, we need a good Centre Back. End of. Of course if people leave, i.e. Brady, we will need a left back/winger too. We should be trying to shift Turner out to make space since he won''t use him even in a defensive crisis like we were having during our awful spell. I thought Turner could not have been any worse during that spell. We could have done with a no nonsense championship type defender who would have thrown his body on the line and helped steady a very rocky ship. But Neil didn''t use him. So why he gave him a contract is beyond me. Get him out, get someone decent in and for the love of god PLEASE try and find a first choice back four and STICK to it.

If that is what we can get from this window - a defensively aware, game reading, clever centre back to play alongside Klose I''d more than happy with that.

...that came out wrong - I mean Turner could not have been any worse a choice at CB than the two that were playing (whether Bassong and Bennett or Bassong and Martin).

We need cash from selling players

lower the wage bill

NOT to buy new players and strengthen

but so the club remains debt free with the reduced turn over (down 12 million next season ) once that is dealt with and banked we might buy some cheap players

Personally don''t think much will happen this window.

Probably see Lafferty & Brady go & Canos on loan.

Sign a striker probably on loan.

The centre backs we have available at the moment are perfectly capable at this level and have proved as much in the past. What I would love to see from the window is a new manager to re-galvanise and motivate the players.. I have total confidence that this team can still perform as they did in Neil''s first season - probably even better considering the ins and outs of the transfers windows since then (Oliveira, Klose, Pinto, Pritchard, Naismith).

Remember the affect employing Neil had on the team? Particularly Bassong, who went from being isolated from the team to a key part of our promotion push. I could see similar from someone such as Pritchard who seems to have found himself rather out-of-favour for the most part this season. Our players could really use a clean slate to work from.

I''m not sure how financially feasible this would be, but reinvesting the bulk of the income from the sale of Brady (for example) on to prizing away someone like Wagner from Huddersfield or Monk from Leeds would be very encouraging. We are still well within reach of the play offs and IMO and any left over money could go on a cover left-back (the only area we''d miss Brady).

Obviously none of this will happen because we''ve just put in the performance of the season which guarantees Neil at least another 10 games regardless of how s**t we are...

I sincerely hope the Derby game marked a corner-turned and that he has managed to pull the squad up out of the hole they were in. But I''ve had this feeling many times already this campaign and am rapidly losing faith at the likelihood of this happening other than the odd one-off game.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]The centre backs we have available at the moment are perfectly capable at this level and have proved as much in the past. What I would love to see from the window is a new manager to re-galvanise and motivate the players.. I have total confidence that this team can still perform as they did in Neil''s first season - probably even better considering the ins and outs of the transfers windows since then (Oliveira, Klose, Pinto, Pritchard, Naismith).

Remember the affect employing Neil had on the team? Particularly Bassong, who went from being isolated from the team to a key part of our promotion push. I could see similar from someone such as Pritchard who seems to have found himself rather out-of-favour for the most part this season. Our players could really use a clean slate to work from.

I''m not sure how financially feasible this would be, but reinvesting the bulk of the income from the sale of Brady (for example) on to prizing away someone like Wagner from Huddersfield or Monk from Leeds would be very encouraging. We are still well within reach of the play offs and IMO and any left over money could go on a cover left-back (the only area we''d miss Brady).

Obviously none of this will happen because we''ve just put in the performance of the season which guarantees Neil at least another 10 games regardless of how s**t we are...

I sincerely hope the Derby game marked a corner-turned and that he has managed to pull the squad up out of the hole they were in. But I''ve had this feeling many times already this campaign and am rapidly losing faith at the likelihood of this happening other than the odd one-off game.[/quote]

Have you not noticed how many goals we''ve conceded this year? The weakness of our central defenders got us relegated last season and they are the reason we are in our current position. Get rid of Bassong so there''s not a temptation to play him.

We need another forward, a defensive midfielder that can actually pass the ball and of course another central defender, if Klose goes make that two!

Of course if we were to get a new manger it would also help greatly

CBs - should be good enough but thats not what the performances are showing; freshen up is needed.

DCM - injury crisis led but having just tettey and howson is a problem

Replacing any sales where it leaves a gap (eg brady & FB)

I think we probably have to have a two pronged approach, partly we need to sell to provide funds and partly we need to balance the squad. Moving on some of the under utilised players might be a lot harder we''d like unfortunately.

I''d like to see CB and DM strengthened but most of all I think we would benefit from a new manager as I just cant see AN suddenly starting to get the best for the group we have.

Hilariously funny Dan - any views on the football related OP? Careful this is the sort of post where you need to have an opinion that others might disagree with.

New manager, new coaches, clean slate for the players, off load Brady, keep Klose and add to defence.

"New manager, new coaches, clean slate for the players, off load Brady, keep Klose and add to defence."

Precisely. This bloke is all over the place.

Decisive action long overdue.

Steve Bruce would have much more likely extracted the best from our squad of so-called superstars who are apparently too good for the Chumps. We lost out big time there.

The present chump lost it ages ago. So many strange situations.