Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Help,, did I hear this wrong...

I would imagine AN''s message to the players in the event of a penalty is ''whichever of you wants feels most comfortable at the time'', and if that was the case then that seems logical enough to me. Whit''s was having a good game so his confidence would have been high, beauty of hindsight yes, but it proved to be the right choice. I''m sure they''ll be more thorough plans should it go to penalties at St Mary''s.

[quote user="Alex "]I would imagine AN''s message to the players in the event of a penalty is ''whichever of you wants feels most comfortable at the time'', and if that was the case then that seems logical enough to me. Whit''s was having a good game so his confidence would have been high, beauty of hindsight yes, but it proved to be the right choice. I''m sure they''ll be more thorough plans should it go to penalties at St Mary''s.[/quote]

That would be OK if he spoke to all the players but we know from some ''correspondents'' on here that he doesn''t do that he prefers to criticise them in public. [;)]

Two questions for the OP:
1. Do all the top managers always sort out a designated penalty taker prior to the match and only the incompetent ones don''t? I presume you know this for certain for it to be such an issue for you.
2. Why is not having a designated penalty taker a problem? The only instance I can see where it actually causes significant issues is if nobody steps up to take it. Is it statistically proven that pre-identified penalty takers are far more likely to score than a player who is ''caught by surprise''?

I would guess that stats would prove that a pre identified penalty taker is more likely to score as they tend to be the ones that practice them regularly in training.

As someone said earlier, what carnage would have ensued had Whitts missed?

To be fair, Leeds earlier in the season was a bit of a shambles with some really poor penalties so perhaps no-one is designated and as such no-one really focuses on practicing them?

Of course teams have penalty takers

it is AN job to know who takes the best penalty you can not leave it to who feels up to it today !!

Matt le tissier was famous for taking them ( missed one i think ?)

I would bet more teams have a pre idenified taker than Captains deciding

To be fair, the only acceptable way to judge the correct penalty taker would be for each player to hold the ball in their arms for 5 seconds. Player who receives the least amount of boo''s gets to take the penalty.*

*If the penalty taker misses, the player is either completely f*cking useless or AN is completely f*cking useless as he shouldn''t have picked him anyway.

You normally see players jostling with each other to take a penalty, what was worrying was that most were looking the other way, such is the level of their confidence. All credit to Whittaker who would have got slaughtered if he''d of missed.

Didn''t Whittaker say that Pritchard took the ball, but Naismith told him to give it to Whittaker as he used to take some penalties for Rangers?

Either way, if we had an unexpected player who was more than prepared to confidently step up and put a penalty away then there is no issue - I would like to think that we have several players that are prepared to do that?

Do Newcastle have better quality and/or bigger portions of Scampi?

Apples

Being closer to Whitby You get so much scampi you need a extra plate for your chips

I can''t help but get the impression that Waveney is one of those guys that see''s Fish & Chips as a diet food.

[quote user="Webbo118"]I wonder if the people contributing to this thread have ever played football (at any level?)[/quote]I''ve played at ''jumpers for goalposts'' level and I once played in a charity match and scored against the Scunthorpe United goalie. 

[quote user="Webbo118"]I wonder if the people contributing to this thread have ever played football (at any level?)[/quote]

Only just retired from playing was known until recently for my speedy wing play