Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Help,, did I hear this wrong...

I thought I heard Whitts say that no player had been had been selected to take pens before the game. I was only half consecrating. Some one out there can confirm or otherwise.

If this is so, what does that tell you about preparing for the game by the "managers team"?

I don''t even know where to start with this, has this been on your mind for the 4 days since the game?

Well, it is, after all, a call for help from Bradwell. I think we need to know what was occupying the other half of his concentration.  Was it his other half maybe, or the rest of his pint, Pt II of his favourite TV movie, the second half of the televised evening match? I don''t see we''re in a position to make any helpful suggestions without knowing more about the problem.

The facts show, duplicate commas in the title and spelling errors, perhaps his hand was a bit shaky.

I''m not sure what could cause shaky hands and lack of concentration?

AN said after the game that he did not know who was going to take it. It may only be a minor point, but I also find it strange that any team walks onto a football pitch without knowing who is on penalties, free kicks, corners and throw ins.

TBH Just Dan, what I find strange is that some find it strange there was no plan, par for the course I would say. RM spoke about it in the Gunn Club, If memory serves, I think Whitts was happy to step up after two others didn''t seem that keen.

What we need is a decisive player who doesn''t care who''s career he''s ruining, the sort of player who will grab the ball and say "Not today Dutch boy, I''m takin it". [:)]

I am reliably informed Alex Neil has no plan should there be a zombie apocalypse during the 90 minutes either.

Club''s a shambles.

Come to think of it: in recent years the likelihood of us getting a penalty has been about the same as that of a zombie apocalypse, so fair play to him.

TBH Just Dan, what I find strange is that some find it strange there was no plan, par for the course I would say. RM spoke about it in the Gunn Club, If memory serves, I think Whitts was happy to step up after two others didn''t seem that keen.

Think you might have a point there!

I think its a legitimate point. I would expect the manager to have agreed with the players (or at least the players to have agreed and run it past the manager) who will take penalties before they go onto the pitch.

Very narrow minded think by the people who don''t know as much as AN about football. [:)]You''ve missed out the possibility of unintended consequences. What happens if the designated penalty taker gets injured in the first few minutes? Do we then have to crowd the players thoughts with a succession list? Vital tactical information may get lost as the player is thinking about whether they are third or fourth in the list for potential penalty takers.The current plan of ''let the captain sort it out'' seems perfectly workable. The stats will show that it is a successful tactic.

TC,

The captain did sort it out and I agree, a plan for all eventualities is unnecessary, however you''d think there would be a Plan A, i.e. who is our designated penalty taker assuming he is still on the pitch and uninjured, if not revert to Plan B, which could be the Captain sorting it out.

IMO, not having a Plan A smacks of amateurism, doesn''t make me right of course, doesn''t make me wrong either.

[quote user="Ray"]TC,

The captain did sort it out and I agree, a plan for all eventualities is unnecessary, however you''d think there would be a Plan A, i.e. who is our designated penalty taker assuming he is still on the pitch and uninjured, if not revert to Plan B, which could be the Captain sorting it out.

IMO, not having a Plan A smacks of amateurism, doesn''t make me right of course, doesn''t make me wrong either.[/quote]Why can''t ''let the captain sort it'' be plan A? That makes the need for plan B obsolete, isn''t that more professional?

With such poor contingency planning, can you just imagine the outrage if Whitts had actually missed the penalty?

Apples

Also, fair play to Whitaker for having the cojones to take the penalty after the amount of game time he''s had this season. As Apples said, imagine what would have happened if he''d missed.

You could argue that but is fraught with danger imo, a la Snodgrass and RVW, surely better they all know from minute one, but as I said, doesn''t make either of us right or wrong, just different approaches.

I wonder how many clubs do send teams out without a designated penalty taker? Although we will probably never know or be able to find out.

[quote user="Ray"]You could argue that but is fraught with danger imo, a la Snodgrass and RVW, surely better they all know from minute one, but as I said, doesn''t make either of us right or wrong, just different approaches.

I wonder how many clubs do send teams out without a designated penalty taker? Although we will probably never know or be able to find out.[/quote]You should be on Fox News, they love these ''just asking'' insinuations, quickly followed by a denial of intent to defame.

That''s a good point Woodman, I wonder if AN has got the entire squad practising penalties just in case?

If he has, is it a waste of time if it doesn''t go to penalties and another example of poor planning and if he hasn''t, it goes to penalties and we lose is this another example of poor planning?

Apples