Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

Canos

LDC Don''t forget Liverpool offered him a new contract. But he rejected it as he wanted to get regular first team football.

Canos is a very good little player, I saw him a dozen times for the Bees last season and was really pleased when we signed him. He''s a bit ''raw'' and maybe needed some work but I can''t work out quite has gone wrong with him. IMO it would be a mistake to sell him, but a loan would probably be good for both sides.

I''d rather he went on loan to Brentford, who we''ve played twice, than Leeds where he might benefit them into a playoff place and beat some of our rivals.

Well that story on sky sports says he prefers a move to Brentford over Leeds. And with them about to sell Hogan to West Ham they should have the funds for a permanent move. Personally I think he''s gone.

''''Personally I think he''s gone. '''' MK

you my well be right, Barca, Liverpool, Norwich,..... Brentford... Gone .......down the plughole.

Can a player have such a meteoric fall from the top.

And recover.

?

Ps, when younger, iwould have played anywhere that would pay me. none offered. so if Brentford is his level for now, G''luck to him.

[quote user="Dan Dare"][quote user="Hairy Canary"]Dan Dare wrote...

1. We''ve spent around £4 million on the guy any evidence of this ?

2. and AN clearly doesn''t rate him, really ?

EDP reported a fee of £2.5 million plus add-on''s which would take him up to £4.5 million. You have a point that he will hardly have triggered any extra payments for appearances and such like, but presumably if he stays then "around £4 million" is the sort of figure we will need to budget for.

As for whether AN rates him? Well I guess going by the fact that he doesn''t pick him for the bench, even for those occasions when we play weakened teams in the "lesser" competitions would suggest that that is the case. I''m not sure the "numerous other young players" you mention cost the sort of fee Canos did, nor did many arrive with the expectation of pushing for a first team place.

Don''t get me wrong, I don''t know how good the guy could be as I''ve seen very little of him. It''s just the way I''m reading the tea leaves. At the end of the day we''ll know whether Neil wants him or not depending on whether he stays or not.[/quote]So we haven''t spent around £4m as you claimedIn fact you don''t actually know what we have spent, beyond speculation from a local paperHowever if you are going to take those figures are read please tell me how many games Maddison has played''it''s just the way I''m reading the tea leaves''fune, but don''t post up stuff that you don''t know about on the basis that it is fact[/quote]

Can I just point out Mr Dare that you come across as an unnecessarily unpleasant and agreesive individual on here? I doubt that will bother you hiding behind your keyboard but it would worry me if I was unable to engage with other posters in a more civilised and adult way. Still, you suit yourself.

My post wasn''t particularly provocative and is the sort of point you see on forums to try and engender a discussion. If you disagree, then fine, make your point, explain why you think it is likely that we will keep Canos. If indeed that is your view, as you haven''t actually expressed one yet. It might take a bit of thinking about though, rather than using the tactic of pedantically correcting something to avoid actually publicising an opinion.

Just to finish. I didn''t claim that we had spent £4 million on Canos. I specifically put in the word "about" in my sentence to qualify that It was an estimate, not a fact as you state. We may end up paying more than that if Canos is a success here.

If AN doesn''t rate him, why on earth did he buy him. He looked great in the Cup game against Coventry.

Yet another mystery of an "exciting buy never to see regular play time at NCFC" We are consistently good at getting it wrong. Sorry, but only AN is to blame for sanctioning the purchase, and then failing to bring him on.

If he looked good for Brentford last season, by some miracle, we''re playing in the same division as them, failed to beat them, so eh voila, are at the same level as them!

AN of course has no obligation to tell us anything, but given the excitement around signing him then I feel it would be quite reasonable for us to be told if Canos isn''t playing due to fitness levels etc - some sort of update would have been good as I think we''re all totally in the dark over his disappearance from the squad and obviously that in itself will create speculation that it''s something a bit more, shall I say, serious than that due to the deafening silence regarding Sergi. I just find the situation a bit weird really as I''m sure some other baffled City supporters do!. Surprised Chris Goreham, Paddy Davitt etc have not probed AN on this to be honest...

It''s never weird at NCFC. We were never told why Klose was sent to Coventry for majority of first 20 games or so, despite our defence shipping goals for fun!

Highly rated (by Liverpool), played great for Brentford. Doesn''t get a look in. Rings a bell, and fits in well with Klose, Pritchard etc.

Something must be wrong behind the scenes if he''s not even playing for U23''s? Grabban sour grapes perhaps?

I suppose it''s pot luck signing Spaniards. In my experience they''re either hard working or downright lazy.

Wasn''t even a sub for the U23''s tonight Sam... plot thickens. Bet someone on here knows something? 😉

I''d imagine Neil didn''t expect the Murphys to be quite as good as they have (in terms of end product) this season - and they''ve rightly pushed Canos down the pecking order. Shame, as he seemed an exciting player, but we can''t really afford to be carrying relatively expensive investments if they''re not even making the squad.

You would expect that he''s fed up with lack of football (he did after all come here for first team football), and as such you can understand him wanting a move away. Given the options we have out wide at the moment, if we could recoup the fee/wages and put it towards a CB/CF I wouldn''t be against it.

A couple of weeks ago, I''d have said he should stick it out until AN was sacked, but the more likely it is that he will stay (AN), the less likely he''ll get a game without some sort of Lazarus-like revival.

Ian, totally fair points re the ascent of the Murphys, Jacob in particular, however I think the only hole in that is that Canos should at least be getting on the bench for the U23''s and that, I guess, is what is getting supporters talking. I will be really disappointed to see him go if it happens - Jarvis is not getting any younger, plenty of speculation regarding Jacob, Brady is likely off - before we know it we''ll likely be in the market for a crowd pleasing technically gifted player who possesses the qualities Canos can offer from out on, as I understand it, either wing if needs be (though I gather he favours a more central position). I think in his interview with Adam Drury last week he said he''d play anywhere if asked - even in goal! But the interview was quite telling, Adam didn''t want to ''put him on the spot'' so a simple fitness issue isn''t the question here, that I''m absolutely sure of.

[quote user="lake district canary"]There must be a good reason why liverpool let him go so cheaply.  Also, playing 30 games for Brentford is not the same as performing at the level of a club where promotion is seen as the be all and end all for a season.  Would hope we can keep him and build him up to the level required. But if he wants to go, then it''s up to him.

[/quote]What utter ballax!  Thanks for wasting a few seconds of my life reading this shoy-te.  I made the conscious decision to reply as I felt such compulsion to point out how much total drivel it actually was.Do carry on though LDC

Gotta agree there Slim, each to there own LDC but the fact is that Liverpool never wanted to lose him, we know that, and playing in the Championship means he plays every one we do - if anything you''d hope he''d do a bit better in a Norwich City team that should be able to help create more and give him that extra percentage of quality to work with.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="lake district canary"]There must be a good reason why liverpool let him go so cheaply.  Also, playing 30 games for Brentford is not the same as performing at the level of a club where promotion is seen as the be all and end all for a season.  Would hope we can keep him and build him up to the level required. But if he wants to go, then it''s up to him.

[/quote]What utter ballax!  Thanks for wasting a few seconds of my life reading this shoy-te.  I made the conscious decision to reply as I felt such compulsion to point out how much total drivel it actually was.[/quote]

Really. How nice. I presume you mean the bit about Brentford.  However, I would suggest that it would be easier for a player to go and express themselves at a club where the expectations are not as high as ours - and Brentford do not have the pressure of wanting an instant return to the top division as we do.  Call that rubbish if you like, but for me it seems common sense. The level of effort/intensity required to play in a team to get promoted is far greater than just playing well for a team who are lacking the know how to even get into the playoffs.  Canos is a young player and was able to impress last season - as Josh did at MKDons - player''s player of the year there btw - and he can''t get a regular start in our team either........So care to reconsider? I don''t suppose so, but then it''s easier to ridicule than to actually try and understand something, isn''t it...........

I''m pretty sure if Liverpool actually didn''t want to lose him they wouldn''t have.

I doubt anyone there lost sleep over it.

Alex wrote:

''''Gotta agree there Slim, each to there own LDC but the fact is that Liverpool never wanted to lose him, we know that, and playing in the Championship means he plays every one we do - if anything you''d hope he''d do a bit better in a Norwich City team that should be able to help create more and give him that extra percentage of quality to work with.''''

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spot on Alex. In the same way Redmond has been allowed more attacking freedom and less defensive duties for Southampton. Sorry LDC but I disagree with you!

RE Canos, he and Pritchard have been two of the biggest disappointments for me this season (other than Alex Neil himself)... I thought he showed a lot of promise in the championship games he played for us at the start of the season. For a 19 year old his strength on the ball, and determination off it, impressed me a lot.

I fully expected him to be in and around the 18 being picked each week, don''t know what happened for it to fall so far apart. But something is clearly very wrong for him to not even be getting a look-in at the under-23s.

If we stick with AN and lose Canos amongst others, I will be bitterly disappointed at losing a player who I feel could''ve made a positive impact to the first team this season and maybe an even bigger one in the future.

Canos baffles me. I can only assume that something happened behind closed doors for a player to get even less of a look in than Lafferty.

It would be nice to have a little transparency from the club on this, thinking back to when JA Murphy was clearly knackered and we were given the line about him having to play because Howson was out. You would have thought Canos would have at least had a cameo here or there, but he isn''t even making the u23 squads anymore.

It may all be relatively innocent, maybe a combination of Jacob''s powerful surge up the pecking order and Brady + Naismith not moving on as assumed in the summer.

That said, we''ve gone as far as trying Howson in attacking mid, rushing Jarvis back into the squad as soon as humanly possible, playing Jacob Murphy until he sands his feet off, even throwing Lafferty into the fray without so much of a sighter of Canos.

Something HAS to be up.

Alex Neil''s ego comes first, the club second.

I think being a young manager AN struggles to gain respect, or perceives that he does. This leads to him picking ''favourites''

When AN arrived I thought we were going to see a relatively young side, with quick pressing football. I think he wasn''t able to change too much when he first arrived, and when promoted had to fire fight rather than play his own way.

This season I thought would be much about his own style. Certainly the signing of canos and Pritchard supported the high press style many were expecting.

Dissapointingly, not only has he not adopted this exciting style, he had failed to create any defined brand of football. He''s persisted with less motivated older pros, at the expense of fresh young talent.

How can he get away with spending so much money on players and not playing them? How is he not held accountable? Unless somebody else is making the decision on signings?

"How can he get away with spending so much money on players and not playing them?"players ?

Beefing him up makes sense. Yes he did appear 30 times for brentford last season but as I stated in the summer he rarely started more than 3 consecutive games, with more than 10 sub appearances.

This suggests that he is either inconsistent (quelle surprise at 18) or struggling to cope physically with games (ditto)

It is clear that he does have ability but like every teen is still learning the game, including what its like to be a bit part player.

To loan him out for more competitive football having worked on both mental and physical strength seems like the next logical step.

AN is right, every player has his price, but unless there is a more deep rooted unhappiness I suspect we wont be selling canos just yet.

ZLF is bang on. Canos won''t go anywhere except on loan, as Alex mentioned earlier, if we lose Jacob and Jarvis ''the sicknote'' is off again we''ll be lacking in that area. Don''t see what the fuss is about

lincoln canary wrote: "When AN arrived I thought we were going to see a relatively young side,

with quick pressing football. I think he wasn''t able to change too much

when he first arrived, and when promoted had to fire fight rather than

play his own way"lincoln, you could have added "...and when we were relegated had his hands tied by the prioritising of an immediate return to the top flight."We could easily put out "a relatively young side", but we would have waved goodbye to any hopes of promotion this year. My view is we should have done exactly that; all we have actually done is delay the inevitable rebuilding by a year, or perhaps even two.

For all we know there might be serious personal issues that won''t get discussed in case it affects his saleability.

After experiencing the bright lights of Norwich he might have hit the rug scene... But in all seriousness hopefully it will be a loan deal to help sort out whatever issues he has - If it''s a permanent move rest assured there would have been very good reasoning behind it. OTBC!

He''s a decent guy so I doubt it''s a personality clash - but when you move somewhere out of your comfort zone away from your family and the thing that persuades you to move is being told you''re going to be playing first team football regularly, you''re going to be a bit down and frustrated with the club / management or whatever when that doesn''t happen.

Hopefully a loan spell proves his worth.

Yes, of course it must be down to Alex Neil''s ego, and his perceived lack of respect. There''s no other possible explanation for why Canos might not be getting into the squad.

I mean the team selection has been so consistent this season, Neil''s made literally zero changes from his "favourite" players. Same 11, week in, week out. Always his favourites. I mean look at the back four - we''ve shipped so many goals this season, but Neil hasn''t even had the guts to drop any of them.

Seriously, I think some people live in a fantasy world where every conjecture that suits their own biases must be the truth, whilst any other possible explanation is nonsense.

There''s plenty of criticisms to level at Alex Neil this season, but given that Jacob Murphy (who is of a similar age and has not cost the club a transfer fee) has been heavily involved throughout, I don''t think not wanting to bring through youth is a fair one.

Lincoln, what signings has Alex Neil made that he''s not played this season - and who should he be held accountable for? Paul Jones?

As a club we need to keep players like Canos and get rid of players like Jarvis

Javis is costing alot more wages wise with no resale value due to his injury history and has played very little since he joined

its bigger Earners like Javis laffs whitts turner that never play that are using our money up with little return not the younger players

Cheers Hank. I see The Pink''un are reporting that Canos is ''liking'' tweets regarding a move to Leeds so maybe his exit here is close? I can see him being loaned there, being a real hit and not wanting to come back, especially if they get promoted! The Pink''un article also includes this :-

''Neil admitted at a press conference last Friday that the rapid improvement of Jacob Murphy had been the main reason for the Spanish winger’s lack of game time.''

So what has that got to do with his disappearance from even the U23''s bench? I''m not a big conspiracy sort of person, but something doesn''t add up for sure.