Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

Canos

[quote user="norfolkngood"]A lot of what AN does regarding selections / treatment of players doesn''t add up[/quote]

It does add up if you assume that AN is consistent with all players and treats them the same.  If you presume he judges players on their fitness, the effort they put in in training and their attitude to how well they fit in with a team ethic, then it is clear why certain players may not be featuring more.  If Pritchard, Canos, Lafferty or anyone else isn''t up to the mark in those aspects compared to the others in the group, they are not going to get the same chances as the others. With Canos, I suspect it is a mixture of fitness and his fitting in with the team ethic that may be the stumbling blocks - and we have very good players to compete with him who have shown they are better than him at those aspects.  His natural talent is there to see, but the rest of his game may not be. I made the point earlier that he was able to play wthout pressure at Brentford - and the pressure at Norwich is at a higher level than most clubs in this division.  So he has come up against the brutal reality that he wasn''t going to get the games he thought he would here and if he still wants regular first team football, that he will be better off going to a less pressurised environment to get it. Jacob got that on loan at Coventry - and it obviously worked for him.

Thats your opinion i do not believe AN gives Every player the same chances

Like others have said Jarvis injured Murphy needing a rest where was Canos ??

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Thats your opinion i do not believe AN gives Every player the same chances

Like others have said Jarvis injured Murphy needing a rest where was Canos ??[/quote]Well, to me AN come across as a fair minded and good communicator and if he is that with players, they will know why they are not getting more time on the pitch. If Canos has possibily been told he has not the level of strength/fitness to compete with the likes of Jacob atm and won''t get a chance until he does, then he can have no complaints - and neither can we.   If Jacob or anyone else needs a rest, then it would have to be someone who was fit enough to take on the challenge. Alternatively, if Canos has said something to blot his copybook with AN, then that too is a possible reason why he hasn''t appeared. Who knows?? Whatever the facts of the matter, people assuming it is AN''s fault would imo be wide of the mark - for those same reasons I stated earlier - that AN is an honest and open character and says things how they are.  Easy to blame the manager for everything - as people did with Hughton - not so easy to try and see the other side of the argument if people have it in for the bloke anyway.

Can''t blame him for wanting to leave. More baffling management decisions from AN.

Alex quoted the PinkUn:''Neil admitted at a press conference last Friday that the rapid

improvement of Jacob Murphy had been the main reason for the Spanish

winger’s lack of game time.''Why describe a straightforward, entirely reasonable, explanation of Canos''s lack of first team game time as an "admission", with it''s implication of some form of guilt or withholding of truth? Maybe the next interviewer will actually get round to asking him "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Well if i was the reporter i would ask when Murphy needed a rest why didn''t you play Canos or at least give him a place on the bench that would then answer the question

why someone who plays 30 + games for Brentford who has been signed by AN who has the final say on signing which is a fact not get in the matchday squad ?

Barcelona and Liverpool saw what a player he was so did Brentford and now leeds are chomping at the bit to get him why does AN not rate him after he was the one that signed him ?

[quote user="Ian"]Yes, of course it must be down to Alex Neil''s ego, and his perceived lack of respect. There''s no other possible explanation for why Canos might not be getting into the squad.

I mean the team selection has been so consistent this season, Neil''s made literally zero changes from his "favourite" players. Same 11, week in, week out. Always his favourites. I mean look at the back four - we''ve shipped so many goals this season, but Neil hasn''t even had the guts to drop any of them.

Seriously, I think some people live in a fantasy world where every conjecture that suits their own biases must be the truth, whilst any other possible explanation is nonsense.

There''s plenty of criticisms to level at Alex Neil this season, but given that Jacob Murphy (who is of a similar age and has not cost the club a transfer fee) has been heavily involved throughout, I don''t think not wanting to bring through youth is a fair one.

Lincoln, what signings has Alex Neil made that he''s not played this season - and who should he be held accountable for? Paul Jones?[/quote]

Ok, ok. Perhaps I should have said used sparingly. Klose, Naismith, Pritchard, Canos cost £28 million. They should be regulars, week in, week out. We can''t spend that money on squad players either in the prem or championship.

He''s wasted money on Jarvis and Mulumbu (big contracts), and offered new deals to Whittaker and Turner. Maddison, another signing but no where near the first team.

What have any of these players done for us this season? Answer, very little.

Plenty for him to be held accountable for.

Are you defending Alex Neil?

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Alex quoted the PinkUn:''Neil admitted at a press conference last Friday that the rapid

improvement of Jacob Murphy had been the main reason for the Spanish

winger’s lack of game time.''Why describe a straightforward, entirely reasonable, explanation of Canos''s lack of first team game time as an "admission", with it''s implication of some form of guilt or withholding of truth? Maybe the next interviewer will actually get round to asking him "Have you stopped beating your wife?"[/quote]

This rapid improvement of Jacob Murphy is rubbish. Jacob is having a good season but has lots to learn. He''s gone missing in a number of games this season, and certainly hasn''t done enough to warrant being a dead cert to start every game. He''s no more advanced than Canos.

It annoys me how Jacob is being bigged up as a world beater. He''s doing very well for his age, but is no where near the finished article and not as effective as many seem to believe.

Don''t mind loaning him out if that gives him game time to develop him, as long as we can recall him if needed.

Would be ludicrous to sell a highly rated young player, so soon after buying him.

We''ll look stupid if Brady goes, &/or Murphy, and what if we get injuries. We''re then pplaying players out of position and get our unbalanced team back!

Loan him out, let him develop, and bring him back so he can start afresh new season

lincoln canary wrote: "This rapid improvement of Jacob Murphy is rubbish. Jacob is having a

good season but has lots to learn. He''s gone missing in a number of

games this season, and certainly hasn''t done enough to warrant being a

dead cert to start every game. He''s no more advanced than Canos.

It annoys me how Jacob is being bigged up as a world beater. He''s

doing very well for his age, but is no where near the finished article

and not as effective as many seem to believe"The rapid improvement of Jacob Murphy is definitely not rubbish. Nobody denies he still has much to learn; he has indeed had one or two matches in which he has played less well (which player hasn''t?); nobody is bigging him up as a world beater; how effective he is each can judge for themselves, including Alex Neil, but in forming your opinion you might look at the consistently good ratings he gets, which regularly put him among the most effective players in our squad.If you measure his rate of improvement against that of his brother, who many at the start of the season considered well ahead of him, that Jacob has improved more, faster, is unquestionable. Furthermore, he of the three (the two Murphys and Canos) has shown himself most able to adapt to what is required of him in the tactical system we employ, and has hugely improved the parts of his game crucial to fulfilling that role (e.g. defensively).While Josh M has shown some improvement in this respect, Canos has shown less than either of them.

Norfolkngood: "As a club we need to keep players like Canos and get rid of players like Jarvis

Javis is costing alot more wages wise with no resale value due to his injury history and has played very little since he joined

its bigger Earners like Javis laffs whitts turner that never play that are using our money up with little return not the younger players "

Well, no ones going to buy him now after reading that, are they? Next we''ll let him leave and you''ll criticise the low fee.

Have any of you considered that the reason you find a lot of his decisions baffling, is that Alex Neil knows a lot more about football than you do?

[quote user="morty"]Have any of you considered that the reason you find a lot of his decisions baffling, is that Alex Neil knows a lot more about football than you do?[/quote]Some may have morty, only to discard the idea, being of the opinion (quite certain in their own mind) that he doesn''t ............ [:D]

If he''s not going to get a game which seems clear then I''d loan him out, I definitely wouldn''t sell him. He''s 2 years younger than the murphys and arguably has more potential. 2 years ago we wouldn''t dare sell either of the murphys who were being kept out by Redmond so why would we do it now in a similar position.

You would think a loan would be extremely preferable, but if he''s made it clear he doesn''t want to be here and we can recoup the fee a permanent wouldn''t be the end of the world.

Re: Josh Murphy as a "world beater" - not sure anyone''s said that. He has a huge amount to learn, and is extremely frustrating to watch at times, but has managed more end product in his first real half season at the club than Redmond managed in his entire Championship season.

The whole ''the manager knows more than you''d is such a reductive argument. On that basis this forum wouldn''t exist as we could just say ''the manager/CEO/owner knows more than us so let''s not discuss it.''

Poor from you morty! A lot of the points of concern raised here and in other threads are from some of the most level-headed and positive posters within the entire messageboard!

And considering you are probably the poster with the highest count on this forum, it is pretty hilarious for you to say something like that..

I''ll quite happily admit that Alex Neil know far more than I do about selecting a team.

Not quite the case for all though, is it?

Individually, of course he does know more than me and anyone on this board, you would think. However, collective opinion of an entire fan base surely has quite a lot of merit to it?

For example, two games in a row, the entire support was baffled at him taking off Oliveira for Jerome, instead of going two up front, in the latter stages of games that we found ourselves losing, are you saying this is because Alex Neil knows a lot more about football than us? Was there some higher level thinking going on that is much too complicated for our weak, numb brains?

Then there''s things like the consistent picking of Brady all season despite him being one of our poorest performers. Versus players like Pritchard who''s been given very limited opportunity despite actually managing to squeeze out a couple of MOTM performances (how many has Brady has put in?). Why he hasn''t been a run of games, or at least more regular and lengthy substitute appearances, is beyond me. I''m sure many fans are in agreement with me. Presumably this is also because Alex Neil knows much more than us and we don''t understand his thinking.

Then there''s this entire thread RE Canos, the bloody stupid remarks he has made in his interviews, strange substitutions, strange starting line ups, odd tweets from some of the players after the AGM, players disappearing from the squad completely for no apparent reason and then suddenly coming back, the entire team looking hilariously unfit (Huddersfield in particular) etc etc.

Are all of these questionable decisions that baffle large portions of the support in fact nothing to worry about because of his superior football knowledge?

Not really.

I regularly meet football fans that really aren''t as knowledgeable as they think they are.

And before any happy clappers nonsense is trotted out, of course Alex Neil isn''t perfect, very few managers, if any, are.

I am pretty sure if you got the opportunity to ask Alex Neil why Canos isn''t playing, he would give you a perfectly plausible answer. Which would likely bear little resemblance to some of the tripe trotted out here.

Alex Neil might well know more than us laymen about team selection, tactics and substitutions but there is an abundance of managers throughout the league who it seems know more than him.

He makes layman''s mistakes, consistently. Some are mentioned above.

His continued tenure is damaging our chances, eating at our finances and inducing a mood of indifference amongst a sizeable chunk of our support.

May be that awful Saints gate had something to do with the price. Neil''s nonsense had more to do with it though.

It''s getting to that stage for me.

We should be higher in the league in this season which will be our best chance of promotion.