Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

Canos

So... rumours say Leeds have joined Brentford in the battle for Sergi''s signature

I really hope this is just a loan, over a permanent transfer as he could be really something with a bit more game time.

I get that he has Jacob in front of him for a first-team place and he seems to have ''disappeared'' recently but he really could be quite some player. So much potential...

I truly believe if NCFC were to sell Canos, say for 2-4 million, I think we''d regret it down the line. Especially to rival club.

I don''t know if something is going on behind the scenes with Sergi and hence he''s out of favour, but he really should be one of the stars of this championship season, not kicking about in the u23''s!

Would be bitterly disappointed if we let him go. I think I''d rather judge him on the fact both Barcelona and Liverpool wanted to keep him, and his performances for Brentford in the very league we currently find ourselves in, than a few appearances for our U23''s.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/brentford/leeds-united-bristol-city-looking-sign-bees-target-norwich-city

What''s most disappointing is that if they''re direct quotes from Alex Neil then that''s told me all I need to know. Where I respect every player has his price, you''d think that after only being here for the best part of 6 months then Alex might come out with something like ''Sergi''s not for sale, no chance. We''ve only recently invested in him and we hope in time that he can become an integral part of our team. We have high hopes for him, and he''ll be staying here for the foreseeable future''

Doesn''t sound promising...

We''ve spent around £4 million on the guy and AN clearly doesn''t rate him. Neil will be overseeing this transfer window so as he''s nowhere near the team and we reportedly need cash before we can strengthen then I can see that it''s entirely possible that he will move on.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]We''ve spent around £4 million on the guy and AN clearly doesn''t rate him. Neil will be overseeing this transfer window so as he''s nowhere near the team and we reportedly need cash before we can strengthen then I can see that it''s entirely possible that he will move on.[/quote]1. We''ve spent around £4 million on the guy  any evidence of this ?2. and AN clearly doesn''t rate him, really ?on that basis he doesn''t rate Maddison, or numerous other young players who have joined us

I think that, like Maddison, isn''t physically big or strong enough for our first team. I think they both need experience, bulking up and some time to grow. I believe strength, work-rate and fitness are the reasons behind Canos being out of the work team set-up at the moment.

I''d loan him to a League One or Scottish Premier League team - get him some game time and the carp kicked out of him - maybe he''ll come back stronger!

Neil bought him didn''t play him seems to want rid. Why did he sign him and how come other championship clubs want him. The answer is Neil has now been given this January to repeat his poor record of buying and selling players. We are clearly stuck with him for a few more months what damage can he do in that time

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Neil bought him didn''t play him seems to want rid. Why did he sign him and how come other championship clubs want him. The answer is Neil has now been given this January to repeat his poor record of buying and selling players. We are clearly stuck with him for a few more months what damage can he do in that time[/quote]absolute sh ite

Dan Dare wrote...

1. We''ve spent around £4 million on the guy any evidence of this ?

2. and AN clearly doesn''t rate him, really ?

EDP reported a fee of £2.5 million plus add-on''s which would take him up to £4.5 million. You have a point that he will hardly have triggered any extra payments for appearances and such like, but presumably if he stays then "around £4 million" is the sort of figure we will need to budget for.

As for whether AN rates him? Well I guess going by the fact that he doesn''t pick him for the bench, even for those occasions when we play weakened teams in the "lesser" competitions would suggest that that is the case. I''m not sure the "numerous other young players" you mention cost the sort of fee Canos did, nor did many arrive with the expectation of pushing for a first team place.

Don''t get me wrong, I don''t know how good the guy could be as I''ve seen very little of him. It''s just the way I''m reading the tea leaves. At the end of the day we''ll know whether Neil wants him or not depending on whether he stays or not.

AN hasn''t actually said he doesn''t want Canos - you could argue that his team selections say all you need to know... but I still think he is treating him as one for the future.

I shall watch how the rest of the transfer window plays out.

Everything is speculation currently.

Neil has made far too many poor buys like Canos. It would be far wiser to sack him than to let him attempt to repair damage that is mostly of his own making. It''s not rocket science!

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Dan Dare wrote...

1. We''ve spent around £4 million on the guy any evidence of this ?

2. and AN clearly doesn''t rate him, really ?

EDP reported a fee of £2.5 million plus add-on''s which would take him up to £4.5 million. You have a point that he will hardly have triggered any extra payments for appearances and such like, but presumably if he stays then "around £4 million" is the sort of figure we will need to budget for.

As for whether AN rates him? Well I guess going by the fact that he doesn''t pick him for the bench, even for those occasions when we play weakened teams in the "lesser" competitions would suggest that that is the case. I''m not sure the "numerous other young players" you mention cost the sort of fee Canos did, nor did many arrive with the expectation of pushing for a first team place.

Don''t get me wrong, I don''t know how good the guy could be as I''ve seen very little of him. It''s just the way I''m reading the tea leaves. At the end of the day we''ll know whether Neil wants him or not depending on whether he stays or not.[/quote]So we haven''t spent around £4m as you claimedIn fact you don''t actually know what we have spent, beyond speculation from a local paperHowever if you are going to take those figures are read please tell me how many games Maddison has played''it''s just the way I''m reading the tea leaves''fune, but don''t post up stuff that you don''t know about on the basis that it is fact

It''s not exactly a huge stretch to suggest Neil doesn''t rate Canos.

Here are some facts...

Last season he played over 30 games at this level.

We paid a reportedly decent sum for him to join us.

Neil talked about him as a replacement for Redmond when he first signed.

He was in and around the first team at the beginning of the season, even starting once. This hardly suggests someone considered not ready.

Even during our horrendous run Neil never once gave him a chance. In that time I think all of Wes, Jacob, Josh, Pritchard, Brady and Naismith were given chances on the wings.

He wasn''t even in the 18 for a heavily rotated FA Cup side.

To me it looks like he was signed to play this season (never any suggestion of a loan pre September) but the manager now doesn''t fancy him.

Still speculation...

I think there is a ''project'' to beef him up behind going on at Colney.

There''s no point ranting and whinging on here, we''ll see if anything happens over time.

PLUS believing Sky Sports and daily newspapers is about as valid a rumour as me making one up on here.

Some people are clueless.

Canos has huge potential. We should not be letting him go!! He''s proven at this level, and has been brought up by Barca and Liverpool. Liverpool offered him a deal to stay!

Yet some people deem him not good enough on the evidence of a couple of u23 and cup games. In fact, he had a stormer against Coventry in the cup!

Alex Neil is not competent and should not be allowed to let young talent like this slip away.

We should be clearing the deadwood. Bassong, Tettey, Naismith, Jarvis, Whittaker etc. Not the young talent RE canos and Maddison.

I wouldn''t want us to sell him as it would put a cherry on top of make ''last summers transfer shambles'' cake. Everyone seemed quite happy about signing him at the time and I think rightly so, knowing he is capable in this league. I think a loan move would suit him however I wouldn''t want us to give him to Leeds or a direct promotion rival. Or have we already given up hope of that?

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]We''ve spent around £4 million on the guy and AN clearly doesn''t rate him. Neil will be overseeing this transfer window so as he''s nowhere near the team and we reportedly need cash before we can strengthen then I can see that it''s entirely possible that he will move on.[/quote]

I thought it was £2.5m with £2m of add ons

Unless we need the money for restructuring the squad (plus the money from the likely sale of Brady) we might as well loan out Canos so that he can gain some more experience.

[quote user="Lewis DW"]Still speculation...

I think there is a ''project'' to beef him up behind going on at Colney.

There''s no point ranting and whinging on here, we''ll see if anything happens over time.

PLUS believing Sky Sports and daily newspapers is about as valid a rumour as me making one up on here.[/quote]

Not really sure why you started this thread then Lewis?!

"PLUS believing Sky Sports and daily newspapers is about as valid a rumour as me making one up on here"and that is pretty much what happens, trust me

@Dan Dare -

You do realise that most folk on here post these newspaper reports/rumours without taking each one as gospel? These kind of rumours create something called a ''talking point'', which tend to be quite useful on, in this case, a football message board where lots of ''what if''s'' and speculation etc make up a significant proportion of discussion during respective transfer windows. Sorry to point out the obvious to you but by many of your other posts today it seems pretty clear that you''ve not quite grasped that fact yet.

See he isn''t involved in the u23s away at West Ham tonight. Don''t want him getting injured 😉. Personally think he''s on his way somewhere whether that''s a loan or permanent.

Killip (c); Efete, Godfrey, Crowe, Ramsay; McGrandles, Grant; Middleton, Jaiyesimi, Jarvis; Morris. #ncfc

There must be a good reason why liverpool let him go so cheaply.  Also, playing 30 games for Brentford is not the same as performing at the level of a club where promotion is seen as the be all and end all for a season.  Would hope we can keep him and build him up to the level required. But if he wants to go, then it''s up to him.

But was £2.5mil + that cheap for an 18 year old in the last year of his Liverpool contract, LDC? I wouldn''t have said so.