Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Admiration for Bowkett increasing

I for one am more full of admiration for the leadership skills of Bowkett with every passing week.

Truly the nosedive into total shambles at board level began the very moment he walked away from the old guard resistance. When McNally followed, seeing the writing on the wall, it only got worse.

How depressing Balls and Moxey are by comparison. Honestly it is not easy to find positives at present. Where is the strategy? Why is AN still here? Why is the same defence seemingly in place until Armageddon arrives?

Lowest ebb as a city fan. How quickly the Doomy days have returned did ever a club stink so much of stale air and a need for change at the top. The Smiths were great when they came - but knowing. When to step down is as important in business as when to step in. Taxi please

I find myself dreaming about a time to come when the club will no longer be in the grip of the Smith-Jones faction.

I have never been particularly against Delia Smith. She deserves credit for her financial assistance in time of need. She deserves praise for her clear enthusiasm for everything Norwich City. She''s a good gal.

But we are currently going nowhere and some pace. Neil should be on his bike by now, Moxey needs to make more of an impact and Balls doesn''t seem to offer that much.

I haven''t got as far as fantasising about replacement owners as that''s a minefield, but can anything be worse than the current drift towards Championship mediocrity and a consistent loss-making situation?

"The Smiths were great when they came"

Indeed, This Charming Man is an absolute classic. Gutted when they split in 1987 and heaven knows I''m miserable now.

"Dean Coney''s boots" How depressing Balls and Moxey are by comparison. Honestly it is not easy to find positives at present. Where is the strategy?

Remember Bowkett''s strategy for mid table mediocrity that lead to relegation, I suppose as it was something bad that happened when he was Chairman it was probably someone else''s fault.

Absolutely. I''d cite the departure of Bowkett alongside McNally as a major loss for the club, especially when you consider who they''ve been replaced with.

Their gumption and ruthlessness will be sorely missed and the board clearly lacks the ''edge'' they provided as both Balls and Moxey are totally pathetic in comparison.

The setup is in my opinion now very reminiscent of the Munby and Doncaster days, and we all remember how awful they were. They were both well intentioned, but ultimately useless.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]"Dean Coney''s boots" How depressing Balls and Moxey are by comparison. Honestly it is not easy to find positives at present. Where is the strategy?

Remember Bowkett''s strategy for mid table mediocrity that lead to relegation, I suppose as it was something bad that happened when he was Chairman it was probably someone else''s fault.

[/quote]

I prefer to judge them by the return to the Prem- an era when it seemed possible we would establish ourselves as a top tier club. Some wonderful days of promotion- the Lambert era. The drop to L1 was entirely due to the mess Doomy and Mumby left behind. Once it was cleared up the combo of Bowkett and McNally worked a treat. And now... it seems worse than before. Honestly what has Moxey done that is worthy of note? What about Balls? You can see from miles away we are in freefall. People say we are standing still- if only.

I think the most frustrating thing from McNally and Bowkett has been who has replaced them. I certainly do not hold Balls and Moxey in the same calibre.

There''s a reason my phone wants to autocorrect Moxey to misery every time I type it!

So the bad stuff was someone elses fault. By your own admission Bowkett & McNally failed to establish us as a top tier club.I have a relative who supports Stoke and he says Moxey did a great job there.

"Lowest ebb as a city fan."

Err, even lower than when we got relegated to League One with Bryan Gunn as our manager?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Bowkett/McNally v Balls/Mloxey is a no contest.[/quote]Obviously, you''re not comparing like with like. Two different time frames in two differing periods of the clubs history. These things are cyclical and both combinations will have good times and bad times. 

[quote user="Ian"]"Lowest ebb as a city fan."

Err, even lower than when we got relegated to League One with Bryan Gunn as our manager?[/quote]Indeed.Some of the drama just now is a bit OTT.

I don''t think so. How is a manager in place with a run that would not be tolerated at any other ambitious club? where is the sign of a plan in the window - losing Olson having lined out his obvious replacement smacks of chaos.

The usual happy clappers assure us it isn''t so bad- but anyone with a brain and eyes can see that there is rot at the helm and it is costing us.

And sorry but a failure to deal with a porous defence four years running is not just a cyclical thing. Tell me one thing Moxey has done to inspire- go on. Just one

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]"The Smiths were great when they came"

Indeed, This Charming Man is an absolute classic. Gutted when they split in 1987 and heaven knows I''m miserable now.[/quote]

You could go out tonight that might cheer you up, but I bet you haven''t got a stitch to wear.

Who knows how the transfer Windows under Moxey will turn out. But even his harshest critic would struggle to put him in the frame for the last 4 years. 3 of which were under Bowkett & McNally.

You''re jumping to a lot of conclusions here you know absolutely nothing about.Firstly, Olsson hasn''t gone yet. And you seem to be assuming that we would let him go without a replacement being sought.If Toffolo was good enough to be challenging Olsson for a place he would be here doing so.Is the porous defence Moxey''s fault then?Moxeys job isn''t to inspire, its to handle the day to day running of the club, and he will be judged on that, once he has been here long enough.Supporters groups met with him last night, and I''m hearing positive things.

TCCANARY wrote the following post at 12/01/2017 11:17 AM:

TIL 1010 wrote:

Bowkett/McNally v Balls/Mloxey is a no contest.

Obviously, you''re not comparing like with like. Two different time frames in two differing periods of the clubs history. These things are cyclical and both combinations will have good times and bad times.

I''m not sure I buy this "cyclical" thing - it does get trotted out quite frequently. A much more accurate way to put it is that bad times tend to follow bad decisions , and good times follow good decisions.

If we are all to accept that we will inevitably have bad times , come what may, I would suggest that that is a very defeatist attitude. I would say lets look at our decision making, and those people making said decisions. Senior managers should be challenged, and be made accountable. They cannot hide behind the "these things happen" routine.

I didn''t say "these things happen", I said they are "cyclical". During their time at the club Bowkett & McNally had periods of success and failure, they, just like others before them failed to find the secret to maintain the success.Decisions affect events, thats undenialable but McNally & Bowkett made bad decisions just as Moxey & Balls will. They also made good decisions just as Moxey and Balls will but you don''t always get the outcome you deserve.

TCCANARY wrote the following post at 12/01/2017 11:54 AM:

I didn''t say "these things happen", I said they are "cyclical". During their time at the club Bowkett & McNally had periods of success and failure, they, just like others before them failed to find the secret to maintain the success.

Decisions affect events, thats undenialable but McNally & Bowkett made bad decisions just as Moxey & Balls will. They also made good decisions just as Moxey and Balls will but you don''t always get the outcome you deserve.

Totally agree with that TC. I''m probably a bit OT as I wasn''t using it as an illustration to make a point of Moxey v McNally.

My fear is an acceptance without challenge. Fans should challenge , and ask questions.

I agree we should always challenge and ask questions, we should also expect that sometimes the perfectly valid answer isn''t what we want to hear.

Saw Bowkett in the Southampton Directors Box on Saturday. Did not seem to be with anyone. Probably just thought he would pop down to the see game and avoid his ex-colleagues !!

It''s a tough one really. If we don''t accept football is cyclical then the allternative has to be that we all have our rightful place in the pyramid and stay there. Not sure where that place is for us, its arguable but prob would be outside the top 20. So ultimately not accepting football is cyclical would be the death of ambition.

I agree with most of the OP but this isn''t even the lowest ebb I''ve experienced in only 15 years supporting the club. We''re being frog marched by the board back into those dark times at an alarming pace but right now is hardly the worst it''s ever been.

However, I agree that we''ve made some really poor appointments to the board and for personal reasons. Balls'' appointment was nothing more than a favour to a friend when they didn''t know anyone else in the game who could help them at short notice.

Moxey might be a ''class operator'' when it comes to managing staff from top to bottom/keeping track of finances/keeping the club on some kind of an even keel but he knows less than most of us about football.

https://youtu.be/hXx8oZfbgto?t=1m28s

...Then proceeds to appoint Gary Megson!

We all know what happened at Wolves as well. That and his record of ultimately establishing Stoke and Wolves (A slightly smaller and slightly bigger club than us) in the Championship after plenty of time in both roles.

He''s been good friends with Delia for years though hasn''t he? Nuff said.

"We''re being frog marched by the board back into those dark times at an

alarming pace but right now is hardly the worst it''s ever been."
absolute bo llocks

vos wrote the following post at 12/01/2017 12:21 PM:

Saw Bowkett in the Southampton Directors Box on Saturday. Did not seem to be with anyone. Probably just thought he would pop down to the see game and avoid his ex-colleagues !!

Bowkett is usually there. Always sits the other side from the directors? Did you notice how good looking the couple sitting beside him were ?

As with most comparisons there has to be adjustments to the initial opinions to arrive at a fair conclusion.

When Bowkett/McNally took over, they had a clear target and were given freedom to achieve that target. As we know, they were fantastically successful to turn the club from a poorly led outfit to a professional business model.

This successful period started to change when the club came into big money and the owners, who had hardly been heard in the media, became more vocal and their opinions were heard again. An example being the infamous ''we''ve searched throughout Europe'' This was not voiced by the owners but surprisingly (to me) by Bowkett and McNally. I thought at the time that they surely didn''t believe that but were displaying ''cabinet loyalty''

From that time onwards their influence diminished.

Foe me, although I believe they didn''t always agree, I miss the leadership that these two gave.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]This successful period started to change when the club came into big money and the owners, who had hardly been heard in the media, became more vocal and their opinions were heard again. An example being the infamous ''we''ve searched throughout Europe'' This was not voiced by the owners but surprisingly (to me) by Bowkett and McNally. [/quote]So not an example then?