Sign in to follow this  
Norwich City Fans Social Club

Pundits Night - Fans Forum

Just in case you haven''t seen it advertised on our website, twitter or facebook  tomorrow night (Tues) we have a fans forum at Carrow Road, hope to see some of you there.
Here''s our press piece from last week advertising the event in our local paper
Pundits Night – Life from the Other Side
So, even we fans know it’s not all glamour and free coffee covering Norwich City through thick and thin from the commentary box.
But what’s it really like having to ask awkward questions when City lose?  Who’s been the craziest Canary Caller?  Do your fellow pundits annoy you?  Is it hard to be critical when you’ve played with some of the team on the pitch?
Come along and ask all these questions and more, at the next event brought to you by the Norwich City Fans Social Club at Carrow Road on 10 January.  In an evening with a bit of a twist, three of City’s best known press pundits are chatting to former crowd favourite and presenter in his own right, Darren Eadie.
Radio Norfolk’s Rob Butler, Pink ’Un/EDP/Mustard TV/general all round sports fan Michael Bailey, and the one and only Canary legend Iwan Roberts, now working for Sky, Radio Cymru and BBC Radio Wales will be lifting the lid on life behind the glass screen.
Just the thing to cheer up the winter woes, everybody’s welcome to this event at the Top of the City function room (entrance from the Main Entrance, South Stand).   Entry is just £3 on the door for adults and £1 for children, doors and bar open at 7pm for a 7.30pm start. Plus we''ll have our usual raffle; with proceeds going to the CSF

Why do you always exempt exiles from these forums ? Just once can it be held on a match day, it''s too far to travel just for a meeting.        

I don''t think we exempt anyone from the forums. I do think we''d be hard pressed to get the rooms and guests on a matchday. However we''ll make inquiries for you Martin.

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, text

Don''t think it''s a deliberate ploy mate, more that it''s less practical to do on a match day. The rooms would generally all be taken hosting corporate events and guests, pundits/players etc will be busy. 👍

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Don''t think it''s a deliberate ploy mate, more that it''s less practical to do on a match day. The rooms would generally all be taken hosting corporate events and guests, pundits/players etc will be busy. 👍[/quote]I understand that, but where''s the stream?

I''m sure this''ll be fun, but I can''t for the life of me understand why anyone would pay to hear the opinions of Rob Butler. Getting them for free is bad enough

Swindon - Sorry but rooms are all booked up on matchdays, its their busiest day for hospitality and to reiterate what Eddie/Duncan said guests we have at forums wouldn''t be free on matchdays anyway as they are all working in some capacity. We would like to do something for fans outside of Norfolk though so will give that some thought for next season.

King Canary - Sorry you can''t make it tonight and don''t like the choice of guests, we had lots of suggestions for local pundits and think in these 3 we have a good mix to give us an insight into the world of tv/radio/journalism. Let us know what sort of event would entice you next season and if it''s viable we''ll try to please you.

Thanks again to everyone on the pinkun who supports our events, it''s much appreciated

Diane ( on behalf of our volunteers team )

I can''t see anything elsewhere on the board about the evening so just wanted to say thanks to Diane and the committee for putting this on for us.The three pundits were very amusing and it was interesting to get an insight as to how they go about their jobs and some of the funny/awkward moments they''ve experienced while reporting on the Canaries. MC Darren Eadie held it all together in his usual easy style and it was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Thanks must go to Darren and the guests for giving up their time to talk to us.These evenings are well worth the modest admission fee and all profits there and from the raffle go to charity. If you haven''t been to an event yet I''d recommend giving it a go.

Glad it was a huge success and Diane rang me yesterday about the quiz on 9th Feb to confirm my attendance and to say that it is now fully subscribed. She also said that the attendance on Tuesday was expected to be modest but in fact over 100 turned up. Well done all concerned.

Thank you for your kind comments  "and Smith must score " glad you enjoyed it and thanks Tilly, yes it was another event which was very well attended, we''re very grateful to all those who support us at our events
A short Summary of our Pundits Night

What goes on in the dressing room, stays in the dressing room…..unless you were at this week’s Pundits Evening held at Carrow Road.

The evening was another one organised by us social club volunteers and was a little bit different as it featured some of our best known and loved local football summarises.

Iwan Roberts, now plying his punditry with BBC Wales among others, Radio Norfolk’s voice of Canary Call Rob Butler and Pink ‘Un/Mustard TV maestro Michael Bailey joined regular Social Club host, Canary legend and pundit in his own right Darren Eadie in a night of many laughs about life in front of the microphone.

Matters discussed in an informal chat between the four front men and a question and answer session from the audience included how they got into punditry, the superior quality of catering of Premiership press boxes, how hard it is to type a report for the Pink ‘Un while simultaneously trying to watch the rest of the game and calling it wrong when there’s no slow-mo replay to show who actually stuck it in the net.

The impact of social media and how relationships have changed between club, professional media and fans down the years was also discussed.

All four had many insights and funny stories to tell about who and what they like and don’t like about the job. Dealing with managers came up as a question from the audience and provided one of the most alarming, if slightly off-topic anecdotes of the night from one of our ex-players. Apparently a dressing down from a certain manager meant exactly that. After a poor team performance made him so furious he was unable to wait even to put his clothes on, he delivered the proverbial hairdryer speech to the whole dressing room while completely naked other than his socks and shoes….

And if that doesn’t put you off, look out for the next Norwich City Fans Social Club event which are advertised on www.ncfsc.co.uk, on twitter @NorwichCityFSC and on our facebook page

Have a great weekend everyone!

Diane on behalf on our volunteers team