Sign in to follow this  
One Flew Over...

Best We Can Hope For?

What is the best thing that could happen to Norwich this season? Anyone disagree with the following:

1. Win the FA Cup

2. Win the League Cup

3. Win the Play Off Final at Wembley

4. Win the Championship

5. Come second in the Championship

6. Beat Ipswich twice

7. Keep hold of Ashton

8. Keep hold of Green

I''m not sure if getting to the Premiership is the be all and end all...no-one else would prefer to win a cup?

Read a good article a few weeks ago slating Fulham for not putting a full strength team into the league cup, with Coleman saying we have to concentrate on staying in the Premiership. The article made the point that if finishing 17th is the highlight of a season then what is the point. OK it would be good for your first year..but then what?

We will probably never win the Premiership, unless sthg very drastic happens, so surely the FA Cup would be the pinnacle of achievement in the current situation. As good as watching Premiership opposition at Carrow Road is..if we get hammered every time it starts getting really depressing (although we do get to beat Man U)..

Cup runs were great though, semi-finalists 3 times(Luton, Everton & Sunderland) in the FA Cup.  Winners of the Milk Cup in 1985 (beating Ipswich in the semis?), and I think I remember us beating Ipswich in the 5th round of the FA Cup in about 1983, Keith Birtschin scoring the winner, although that is a very hazy memory, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  Also, don''t forget 8-0 against Sutton in 1989, after they had just beaten Coventry in the 3rd round, still got the highlights on tape somewhere.

Blimey, waffled on a bit there!  I guess my point is that the cups WERE magic back then, every competition meant something before money took over, and there were shocks in the early rounds.  Yes, Premiership football is important but I would love us to have a decent cup run this season.  See you at Birmingham!!

[quote]Cup runs were great though, semi-finalists 3 times(Luton, Everton & Sunderland) in the FA Cup. Winners of the Milk Cup in 1985 (beating Ipswich in the semis?), and I think I remember us beating I...[/quote]

Spot-on mate, the Cups are well worth the time and effort. In a ''good'' season they give you something extra to go for (and we''ve come bloody close to that FA Cup Final appearance, I haven''t given up hope on it yet!). In a poor season they are a welcome distraction from the horrors of the league (for as long as you cn hang in there!).

Having said that, I''d still prefer to win the Championship this year and save winning the Cup until 2006/2007

[quote]Cup runs were great though, semi-finalists 3 times(Luton, Everton & Sunderland) in the FA Cup. Winners of the Milk Cup in 1985 (beating Ipswich in the semis?), and I think I remember us beating I...[/quote]

Spot-on mate, the Cups are well worth the time and effort. In a ''good'' season they give you something extra to go for (and we''ve come bloody close to that FA Cup Final appearance, I haven''t given up hope on it yet!). In a poor season they are a welcome distraction from the horrors of the league (for as long as you cn hang in there!).

Having said that, I''d still prefer to win the Championship this year and save winning the Cup until 2006/2007