Sign in to follow this  
Barndoor

Players

In all honesty how many of the squad do you think we actually need to replace, I was quite concerned by the length of my list.

3x goalkeeper

Every member of the back 4 from this season

Tettey & Mulumbu

Scratch that it''s too long who in our current squad would you be upset at losing

For me it''s a very short list

Howson

Dorrans

Thompson

Maddison

Wes (he''s part of the furniture)

The ones I would like to see stay are below. The rest I couldn''t care less if they went tomorrow.

Pinto Olsson Ja.Murphy Thompson Howson Maddison Pritchard Oliviera

This squad needs overhauling from top to bottom. The board, CEO, recruitment, scouting, management, coaching staff & playing staff. Hopefully that will change by the time summer gets here. Be nice to have a manager who will offload all the deadwood.

[quote user="Samwam27"]10 years according to Delia lol[/quote]In all seriousness I expect that won''t be far out.A long period of mediocrity stretches out before us[:(].Oh well, some of us have been here before.[Y]

[quote user="Bagster"]Agree with that Morty, this is going to be at least two windows,possibly three.[/quote]I think there are quite a few players out of contract at the end of the season, so I would expect the bulk of the changes to happen in the summer.

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 15/01/2017 7:09 PM:

Makes you wonder how the hell we came to this ?

Indeed, after spending three of the last four seasons in the Prem.

Ruddy, Rudd, Bennett, Bassong, Whittaker, Turner, Mulumbu & Lafferty all outta contract in the summer.

Few quid in wages saved there I should imagine.

I understand the premise but Villa had spent all of the previous 23 or whatever years in the Premier League, had the Yankee takeover and are just as bad as us.

The Premier League money just disappears on overpriced players, stupid wages and agent fees. All of which you HAVE to pay if you''re in the PL just to try and compete.

Every club gets that PL money, other clubs have utilised it better than us but the luck eventually runs out because you can''t get lucky/spend well all the time. Swansea are now bang in trouble and Crystal Palace - who were lauded as being hugely ambitious following their takeover when Steve Parish proclaimed that they would be challenging for the title within ten years (still possible I suppose) are also woeful at the moment - with Benteke, Big Sam et al.

Our recruitment has been questionable but the club know that, hence the revolving door of the recruitment team office. Once we get that appointment right, perhaps the rest will follow.

Let''s see how this window pans out.

It is an incredibly complex situation to manage contracts when you''re a club at constant threat of relegation.And we are constantly shackled by not being able to do too much business at once, if we are in the Premier league.Our biggest issue this season is the lack of mental toughness of a squad that has just been relegated. Newcastles solution for that was to virtually buy a whole new team, something they had the finances to do.Its hardly surprising we get the odd one wrong, I''m sure most clubs do.

Interesting fact, Aston Villa have the 20th highest wage bill in the world.There could be trouble ahead.....[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/1_zps3boetq36.jpg.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/1_zps3boetq36.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

This started the summer we bought rvv, fer and co... From then on it has been pretty much downwards.

Oh, and the players to keep is ;

Rudd (don''t get why he is out on loan)

Pinto

Klose

Toffolo (to se if he''s any good)

Murphy twins

Howson

Thompson

Pritchard

Maddison

Hoolahan (at least for another year)

Oliveira

Interesting that Swansea are 19th. Even with 50% wage reductions for relegation and parachute payments of £65m they are also heading our way.

I wonder if Jacob Murphy will take Olsson apart when we play them next season?

I was just about to mention Swansea on that list. Just shows throwing money at something doesn''t always work.

As for Norwich, it''s mainly the elderly and underplayed that need to be replaced by youth.

Swap Bassong and Turner for two young center backs, Whittaker for a young left back and you''ve got a fairly decent defence to build on.

We need to think about either bringing in a long term keeper to replace Ruddy out give Rudd or Matthews a go. McGovern and the other chap won''t play much.

Mulumbu needs to go, Thompson his natural replacement though.

Lafferty needs replacing with someone better.

We have a decent squad just too much dead wood in there holding it back.

In an ideal world...

Mulumbu, Turner, Whits, Bassong and Lafferty leave at the end of their contracts. I''d renew Ruddy if we can and try to move on McGovern

We move on Naismith, Jarvis, Brady.

Build around a core of...

Rudd, Ruddy

Pinto, Klose, Martin Bennett, Toffolo

Thompson, Howson, Tettey, Dorrans

Canos, Murphy x2, Pritchard, Maddison, Wes

Nelson, Jerome

I''d expect us to lose Klose though and we''d need to invest heavily in the defence and upfront.

Oh and a new manager.