Sign in to follow this  
exiled blue

As a neutral bystander, i have to ask...

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]NN it is likely to be a perpetual conundrum should we not go up either this season (unlikely) or next (unlikely with AN.)

In the meantime a few years in the Chumps means debts will accrue, season after season once the parachutes have stopped.

We might then have need of a richer owner (majority shareholder or whatever.)

Smith has ruled this out, arranged for her successor and has the Club in her pocket.

My usual support for her is gradually waining, as I pointed out before.[/quote]
I don''t think anything has been ruled out under the terms of that trust as given in the times interview. But where we are in a few years time will be decided by events rather than soothsaying. Don''t forget the last time these comparisons were made was in May 2009 and the soothsayers couldn''t have been more wrong. 

@Dr Greenthumb
The greatest "ignorance of modern football"is exhibited by those who equate modern football with the EPL and a relatively few top leagues in Europe and elsewhere. Our owners are not ignorant of modern football; they simply repudiate the narrowness of mind represented by your equation.

Buh.

i genuinely didn''t come on here to gloat. Fwiw, it wouldn''t bother me one bit if our owners pulled out tomorrow and we went back to being the "same old city" we once were, i actually miss those days, but looking at how we are doing at Everton atm, they are never too far away!!. lol.

I merely wanted to ask why Norwich seem to be continually pleading poverty, more so than any other club i know in that division. maybe it''s because i live here now so hear more about them on local news sources, i dunno.

"Were you at Coltishall?"

Yep. 54.

[quote user="exiled blue"]Firstly let me lay my cards on the table. i don''t support NCFC, i am a Manchester city supporter who now lives in Norwich. so i have "no dog in this fight" as our American cousins say, and it leads me to ask ...

Why does Delia, or other people who speak for her on the board, continually protest that they have no money?. From what i observe Norwich have no big star earners, and you get a healthy crowd every home game, i don''t know much about your commercial side (sponsorship deals etc) so am not qualified to comment there. I''ve done a little bit of research via Google and the Prem lg. websites and it would appear that you are to get around £65 million over the next 2 or 3 years, in "parachute payments".

To me, as a total outsider, something just doesn''t add up to be honest.
I don''t seem to hear the chairmen and owners of other similar sized clubs in the division continually stating that they''ll "have to sell before they can buy", but maybe that''s because i don''t live in the catchment areas of say, Derby, Birmingham or leeds.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, and good morning to all.[/quote]I am afraid it does add to. This is the reality for a club bouncing between the top two divisions, getting about the lowest amount of TV money when in the PL but still having to pay PL transfer fees and PL wages, albeit not at the stratospheric level of the top clubs, and then having to spend the parachute payments on those wages, even though they get reduced in the Championship, while having a too-small ground that limits non-TV income and (with one exception, I think) having the poorest owners in the top two divisions and playing by the FFP rules while other clubs, such as QPR and Bournemouth, have cheated their way to promotion.

I''m not sure what the OP means by doesn''t add up,the accounts are there for all to see. It costs ridiculous amounts of money to run even a average sized club such as our with forth from bottom premier league aspirations.

It''s hardly a conspiracy, there are two sources of main income sky or owners. Any club that tries to be idealistic and run a debt free self sustaining business is at a distinct disadvantage, the only way ths will change is if/when the wheels fall off the premier league gravy train.

Well I hope you get to the bottom of the mystery Manc Clouseau

You are owned by a Middle East oil baron

We are owned by a tv cook

See if you can solve it, someone get him some crayons

But we''d never swap our TVs cook for an oil baron, it''s not the Norfolk way!

Not Norfolk I''m afraid, far from it, just live in East Anglia, have done for 40 years (on & off), so not a self hating norfolker at all, happy jolly foreigner.

Yup, self loathing, self hating norfolker

Bet you are always apologising on behalf of all of us

Me too.

Although should that be ''Man of Norfolk?''

I ask because it is more complicated down here:

Image result for Kentish Man or Man of Kent

Kent is traditionally divided into West Kent and East Kent by the River Medway. This division into east and west is a reflected in the term "Men of Kent" for residents east of the Medway; those from west are known as "Kentish Men". The female equivalents are "Maid of Kent" and "Kentish Maid".

[quote user="Buh"]Yup, self loathing, self hating norfolker

Bet you are always apologising on behalf of all of us[/quote]

You''re a real sad case, I don''t have to apologise for any of you.....self loathing not at all.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Me too.

Although should that be ''Man of Norfolk?''

I ask because it is more complicated down here:

Image result for Kentish Man or Man of Kent

Kent is traditionally divided into West Kent and East Kent by the River Medway. This division into east and west is a reflected in the term "Men of Kent" for residents east of the Medway; those from west are known as "Kentish Men". The female equivalents are "Maid of Kent" and "Kentish Maid".[/quote]

As a Man of Kent I concur!

Keep apologising for us Indy

Maybe our betters will forgive us our ways

Thanks for all the considered replies,truth is, i am still really none the wiser as to how she claims to be skint whilst trousering the thick end of 170 million in Sky monies but there you go !!

and "buh" i think you need to ''up'' your medication and get out more.

*doffs hat*

oh and 4 bloody nil to Everton, you.ve got to laugh!! ;)

[quote user="exiled blue"]Thanks for all the considered replies,truth is, i am still really none the wiser as to how she claims to be skint whilst trousering the thick end of 170 million in Sky monies but there you go !![/quote]I think it has been pretty well explained. We got 70 million in TV money last season. We made a profit of nine million but only because we didn''t have to pay out bonuses for staying up. And that was the case the time before that we got relegated. We have tended either to just about break even in the Pl or make a small profit if we go down. As said before we are paying PL expenses on the lowest level of PL income. I don''t know where your 170 million figure comes from. but it bears no relation to anything we have ever received in a year. Our overall annual  income, with TV money and everything else, has never even reached 100 million.

People often forget that the parachute payments are included in the ''jackpot'' figure spouted at every Playoff Final match.

Clubs like us need this money to ease the transition back to 2nd tier TV money.

[quote user="Buh"]Oil barons don''t want us so it''s a moot statement[/quote]

And even if they did, Delia says she won''t entertain any bids, so why would anyone bother to show any interest....

The problem with "we won''t entertain any interest" is that the interest then doesn''t present itself. Are you seriously telling me that we''re a less tempting club that QPR or Bournemouth? Of course not, we''re just owned by people that aren''t business people and don''t seem to be interested about money, and don''t want to sell. If it''s clear to people something isn''t for sale, you don''t enquire about buying it. Simples.

Not wanting to sell the club, or not being motivated by money, are not inherently bad things. But when they blinker you from industry reality, or when they blind you from having experienced and hard nosed people running the club properly and protecting your investment, THEN it becomes a problem, let along the ~30,000 invested supporters who want to see the club succeed thanks to the years you''ve spent promoting it as a pillar of that 30,000''s community....

I truly hope he enjoyed his little concealed dig at Norwich. A club who you have individual players worth twice as much as our whole club.

You know that guy at work who supports a top 4 team and says nothing when your club wins but he give it the "how''s your boys get on at the weekend" when you lose

That guy

The guy that hasn''t gone to a game in a decade

Exiled Blue strikes me as a very decent football man and is just making some valid points. Having served at RAF Coltishall, that in itself is a very good recommendation. Yes, the Sky income seems great, but unfortunately it all disappears in "Sky type outgoings" i.e. crazy transfer fees and salaries. It is just like the property market, tonnes of money, but no improvement in the basic product. In a nutshell at the end of the day we are all just lining the money men''s pockets without any increase in entertainment value.Thanks EB for your neutral comments.

[quote user="vos"]Exiled Blue strikes me as a very decent football man and is just making some valid points. Having served at RAF Coltishall, that in itself is a very good recommendation. Yes, the Sky income seems great, but unfortunately it all disappears in "Sky type outgoings" i.e. crazy transfer fees and salaries. It is just like the property market, tonnes of money, but no improvement in the basic product. In a nutshell at the end of the day we are all just lining the money men''s pockets without any increase in entertainment value.Thanks EB for your neutral comments.[/quote]As did I, care to revise that view?[;)]