Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Why does Delia get such an easy ride?

"History conveys no such "right to expect". To imagine Norwich fans have more "right" to expect top tier football than Lincoln fans is ludicrous. History may cause one club''s fans to form higher expectations than another''s, but that''s a different matter. Furthermore, history moves on and, like everything else, the football world changes. Those who don''t adjust their expectations accordingly are justly accused of "living in the past".

History wasn''t the only thing mentioned though was it? Whilst I maintain that recent history has to have some bearing ie. experience in the Pl, the other factors included facilities, stadium, support and the quality of the squad that has been bettered over a considerable number of years now and also, I suppose, general profile within the game.

@BroadstairsI was actually replying to ricardo. I agree that we have a right to expect more from our current squad. Re. recent history, since 1945 the USA has been de facto the dominant world power. Do you think that conveys any right to continue as such? Alternatively, do you think their dominance should have/must have somehow equipped them to retain the role?

Fair enough, but we are only talking about the status of football clubs here, not World dominance.

Get your point, although Lincoln was perhaps a poor example. Sincil Bank, their home, has a capacity of some 10, 000. It has some stands that have no roof and it is a ground which, for many reasons, would nowhere meet the qualifying standards required to hold PL football. I should imagine some of the other clubs mentioned are not that much better.

btw Lincoln''s average gate over the last decade has been around 4, 000.

Get my point?

Actually, I believe it will be on tv this week as the replay against Ipswich is being shown on the beeb. They''ll probably fill the ground for the first time in years, although I hope it doesn''t rain .... oh I don''t know there will be a few thousand binners there after all.

Broady, I''ve put these up before but it''s worth another look to help you decide who has a right to be in the top tier and how good a job they are making of achieving that right.

These are the consecutive seasons in the

top flight. Now unless you believe Sunderland are "established" there

are only seven that are. Three from the rest will be relegated this season.

Being replaced by three wanting to become established. What are the chances? 

Arsenal 91

Everton 63

Liverpool 55

Man Utd 42

Tottenham 39

Chelsea 28

Man City 15

--------------------

Sunderland 10

Stoke 9

WBA 7

Swansea 6

Southampton 5

West Ham 5

Palace 4

Leicester 3

Bournemouth 2

Watford 2

Burnley 1

Middlesboro 1

Hull 1

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Broady, I''ve put these up before but it''s worth another look to help you decide who has a right to be in the top tier and how good a job they are making of achieving that right.

These are the consecutive seasons in the

top flight. Now unless you believe Sunderland are "established" there

are only seven that are. Three from the rest will be relegated this season.

Being replaced by three wanting to become established. What are the chances? 

Arsenal 91

Everton 63

Liverpool 55

Man Utd 42

Tottenham 39

Chelsea 28

Man City 15

--------------------

Sunderland 10

Stoke 9

WBA 7

Swansea 6

Southampton 5

West Ham 5

Palace 4

Leicester 3

Bournemouth 2

Watford 2

Burnley 1

Middlesboro 1

Hull 1

[/quote]Wow, your first post on this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the op. Who would have guessed that? Let''s try and get you back on topic old boy. Why do you give Delia such an easy ride?

Surprising that, especially from Swansea downwards, although it is established that factors other than history are significant when deciding a club''s Premier League credentials.

Incidentally our longest run in the top flight was 9 seasons, although some of these were before the PL. came about We overlapped so to speak.

Back to the original point. Like you I maintain that the supporters of NCFC currently have a "right" to expect more than the current mess.

"Wow, your first post on this thread has absolutely nothing to do with the op. Who would have guessed that? Let''s try and get you back on topic old boy. Why do you give Delia such an easy ride?"

It has really because we were evaluating fans'' expectations and the extent to which we consider we have a "right" to consider ourselves hard done by at the moment and relating this to the so called ''easy ride'' Delia Smith gets.

Poster corbs pointed out that we had no more "right" than the likes of Oxford, Northampton, Luton, Exeter, Newport, Lincoln, Torquay'' Plymouth and Grimsby to Premier League football as reason why Delia should have that easy ride. Some of us came up with reasons why we had more ''right'' than those clubs.

Nobody has actually suggested giving Delia some stick, but should we get hammered by Southampton (likely) and the Wolves game goes the way of many recent games then Saturday may be lively.

[quote user="Tootsie"]Oh and p.s. Cut and paste much?

[/quote]
Only copied and pasted from my post on another thread Tootsie. It''s nobody elses work pretending to be mine...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tootsie"]Oh and p.s. Cut and paste much?

[/quote]
Only copied and pasted from my post on another thread Tootsie. It''s nobody elses work pretending to be mine...
[/quote]I dunt think so buh. Hypocrisy at it''s finest.But any way, rather than having you de-rail yet another thread lets get back to the op. Why do you give Delia such an easy ride?

[quote user="tootsie"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Tootsie"]Oh and p.s. Cut and paste much?

[/quote]
[/quote]I dunt think so buh. Hypocrisy at it''s finest.But any way, rather than having you de-rail yet another thread lets get back to the op. Why do you give Delia such an easy ride?

[/quote]
You''re doing the derailing Tootsie. I was replying. 
However to answer your question I post my opinions on here as just that. Not to give anyone an easy or hard time.
Or did you mean in the ground on match days while you are presumably shouting "Delia Out" (under your breath)[:#]

The reason why I would say Delia gets - or at least DID get an easy ride - is because the fans bought into the myth that she ''saved the club'', therefore getting license to be an amateur at a professional club.

Helped? - Yes

Saw an opportunity? - Definitely

Saved? - No

My point is simply about the idea of having some kind of "right". We have no greater "right" to be a top tier club than Lincoln, but neither does e.g. Man Utd;  history, however illustrious, confers no such right (hence my reference to the USA and world dominance; sound logic is subject matter neutral).Re. the topic, I think our recent history, over the period since Delia rescued the club, has been pretty much what an impartial observer, unburdened by the false sense of entitlement

underlying so much of the current, exaggerated, negativity, would see as being what we could reasonably have expected. Very few clubs achieve the sort of stability that Wenger, for example, has brought to Arsenal over a similar period of time, or Ferguson brought to Man Utd; the vast majority experience much greater variation, with highs (marked over-performance) and lows (marked under-performance) at either end of a relatively wide range of in-betweens. Chase, who was no fool and who recognised more clearly than most what the advent of the PL meant for clubs like ours, predicted just such a future for us back in 1994; nobody wanted to hear it at the time but he has been proved right. The only thing that hasn''t changed is that the same "entitled" fans still have their hands firmly over their ears!

"The only thing that hasn''t changed is that the same "entitled" fans still have their hands firmly over their ears!"

I don''t think anybody has said that NCFC is ''entitled'' to a Premier League place because that would be nonsensical, more we have a right to expect better than we are getting at the moment and that means a better crack at promotion than we are currently getting.

We have a very highly paid and talented squad which cost a lot more than most in our league and was widely tipped by most pundits for promotion. This situation has gradually been arrived at over quite a few seasons of relative success (laced with failure,) since Paul Lambert, if you like.

The reasons for this expectation (or entitlement if you prefer) are outlined sufficiently above.

We are getting a bad deal at the moment all things considered.

If and when NepoTominism Tom takes over the reins of NCFC, and if we struggle as a club and on the pitch......I certainly don''t think the support would hold back on venting their spleen towards him and the NCFC Board......

We are falling a bit short at the moment, but "bad deal" is an exaggeration. The problems we face are commonly faced by relegated teams, compounded by our fan-backed, immediate-return-to-the-PL-at-all-costs, strategy. We managed it -- just -- last time; it''s no surprise that we find ourselves trying to repeat the trick and it proving more difficult second time round.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]We are falling a bit short at the moment, but "bad deal" is an exaggeration. The problems we face are commonly faced by relegated teams, compounded by our fan-backed, immediate-return-to-the-PL-at-all-costs, strategy. We managed it -- just -- last time; it''s no surprise that we find ourselves trying to repeat the trick and it proving more difficult second time round.[/quote][Y]