Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Why does Delia get such an easy ride?

I know Norfolk folk are very placid and accepting of mediocrity but as proven by the Chase era they can produce a bit of passion and muster some vitriol when absolutely necessary. And let''s face it, despite his obvious shortcomings as an owner, Chase was far, far more savvy and successful than the clueless cook who runs things now. So as the title says, a question to all of you who continue to fill Carrow Road and sit in silence whilst the club is being turned into a laughing stock. Why do YOU give Delia such an easy ride?

Since when was supporting the team / players at a match and wanting player/manager/investment change mutually exclusive?

It is not one camp or the other; as with the club, the issues are more complicated than that.

[quote user="Keith Scott"]I know Norfolk folk are very placid and accepting of mediocrity but as proven by the Chase era they can produce a bit of passion and muster some vitriol when absolutely necessary. And let''s face it, despite his obvious shortcomings as an owner, Chase was far, far more savvy and successful than the clueless cook who runs things now. So as the title says, a question to all of you who continue to fill Carrow Road and sit in silence whilst the club is being turned into a laughing stock. Why do YOU give Delia such an easy ride?[/quote]

What do you do Keith? How do YOU give her a hard time? Have you thrown the wife''s cookery books out?

2 of the ''less intelligent'' cliche''s on this board are the references to ''happy clappers'' usually followed by ''little old norwich'' and accusations of ''lack of ambition''.

One of my best friends is a WBA fan (who is over 60 now), and he always says the top teams in England now are exactly the same as when he was a boy. Apart from the odd blip (Blackburn, Leicester) the top teams are the same. I always look at the prem and look for the highest placed team which is not from the London, Manchester, Liverpool nexus. Take a look and you will find you have to go down to at least 7th before you find a West Brom (now chinese owned) or a Bournmouth. What does this tell us? Basically football in this country has always been dominated by the big industrial conurbations and cities. The founders of the football league were northern and midland clubs, from traditional working class communities. Heavens knows why Birmingham has done so badly in recent years. That one is an oddity.

Teams like Norwich, a medium sized provincial city, surrounded by a rural hinterland, are not from the football heartland. Our population historically has worked in light industry, banking, confectionary, tourism etc. We have grown to be a good medium sized club, and at this moment in time we are pretty much in exactly the same position as we were when I first supported us (in around 1971). With the increased wealth coming into the C''ship, one could argue we are punching above our weight. We do not have any right to be highier in the league that towns/cities of a comparable size and complexion - Oxford, York, Northampton, Luton, Exeter, Newport, Lincoln, Torquay, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Grimsby. Yes, I know York is somewhat smaller than us and some if these places are different in character. I worked in Plymouth once, probably 3 times the size of Norwich, yet I cannot remember people talking about ''little old plymouth''.

Of course we had good reason to hope we might bounce back to the prem, and it is true that mistakes have been made by board and manager. That''s football, its ups and down''s. If you cant take the lows as well as the highs then you need a refresher on the realities of sport and life. In my view its good for the game that clubs like us and Villa will probably not bounce straight back. Its time for a Brighton or a Huddersfield to have a go at the top flight.

Another more personal criticism I would raise is the loose talk of lack of ambition. How many of these critics are themselves successful and genuinely ambitious and are really ''risk takers'' in their own lives? It is easy to criticise others for lack of ambition from the safety of a message board. How many of those who talk about the ''spineless'' Boardroom have actually had the courage to take on their manager at work or have openly challenged working practices in their company or workplace?

Sitting on your hands and moaning is not my idea of support. When we went down to the 3rd Tier I applauded us off at Charlton not because I was a happy clapper but because I wanted to show my support for the club through thick and thin, and I could see Korey was nearly in tears on the pitch. Basically those who appaud the team are giving out a message, a simple one - we''re not quitters. As a colleague at work said to me recently - ''get with the programme dude''!.

Well done, Corbs a really well written, thought out and balanced post.

Sadly, makes a real change on here.

Given me some hope for this site, where I''m actually contemplating not following it at all given how many threads just descended into petty bickering between posters

Yes. It was surely a good read, but I cannot agree with it all.

For example:-

"We do not have any right to be higher in the league that towns/cities of a comparable size and complexion - Oxford, York, Northampton, Luton, Exeter, Newport, Lincoln, Torquay, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Grimsby."

Since before the PL we had had top league success under the likes of Bond, Brown and Stringer. Under Walker we occupied the top spot for quite some time and eventually finished in the top five . Since then we have tasted PL football with promotions under Worthington, Lambert and our current man. None of the clubs you mention has come anywhere near this level of achievement in that period or even before (except Portsmouth.)

We have a right to expect more from the current squad, who were after all tipped for promotion by a whole host of pundits prior to the season''s start.

To conclude. In footballing terms our history, set-up, facilities and support and players are far superior to all those places and have been ever since I can remember. The only exception would be Portsmouth, but their successes were long ago and their potential support is not fulfilled nowadays.

We have become more firmly established as a footballing force because of this and we have a right to expect better than the current mess.

I see this in two ways.

In the grand scheme of things ... if you look at our history ... we are in a fairly natural position. We only reached the top tier in 1972 and since then have been deemed not good enough 7 times. To now be, seemingly, at the end of a crazy 8 year journey and be sitting in the top half of the 2nd tier isn''t shocking.

However, football is being distorted grossly by the ridiculous sums of money being poured in by billionaire playboys. There is a growing fear that if we don''t throw the kitchen sink at getting back up THIS season (which includes giving a new manager a throw of the dice) then with our 20th century financial model we may find ourselves on the wrong side of history as equally sized rivals ease past us by selling out to Asia, the Far East and the States.

I prefer not to panic about a potentially gloomy future and try to just experience the ride - and, with NCFC, that means (as history shows) plenty of ups and downs ... but the ups feel so uplifting because of the scars we all pick up along the way.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Yes. It was surely a good read, but I cannot agree with it all.

"We do not have any right to be higher in the league that towns/cities of a comparable size and complexion - Oxford, York, Northampton, Luton, Exeter, Newport, Lincoln, Torquay, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Grimsby."

Since before the PL we had had top league success under the likes of Bond, Brown and Stringer. Under Walker we occupied the top spot for quite some time and eventually finished in the top five . Since then we have tasted PL football with promotions under Worthington, Lambert and our current man. None of the clubs you mention has come anywhere near this level of achievement in that period or even before (except Portsmouth.)

We have a right to expect more from the current squad, who were after all tipped for promotion by a whole host of pundits prior to the season''s start.[/quote]Yes Broadstairs I think we have every right to expect to be higher than most if not all of those mentioned.If we take the modern era as the last 50 years then an overall table would position Norwich at 16, ( 1 place above 1p5wich, 1 place below WBA), Luton at 32, Portsmouth at 39 and Oxford at 46. The rest apart from Northampton (1 season) have never been anywhere near the top flight.Our expectation is based upon this history and certainly cannot be compared with the expectations of the likes of Lincoln, Torquay, Grimsby etc.

I''d love to see if so many would be defending our saviour had it been a millionaire, say Cullum who saved our club back in 96 only investing 8 million over 20 years, and in our current predicament. I do think they wouldn''t have such an easy ride.

I wonder how much Evans has "invested" at Ipswich?He seems to get a pretty easy ride too.

What''s Ipswich got to do with anything? Why try to sidetrack the thread?

[quote user="Indy"]What''s Ipswich got to do with anything? Why try to sidetrack the thread?[/quote]Its an interesting comparison, don''t you think?And hardly off topic either.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Yes. It was surely a good read, but I cannot agree with it all.

We have a right to expect more from the current squad, who were after all tipped for promotion by a whole host of pundits prior to the season''s start.[/quote]Yes Broadstairs I think we have every right to expect to be higher than most if not all of those mentioned.If we take the modern era as the last 50 years then an overall table would position Norwich at 16, ( 1 place above 1p5wich, 1 place below WBA), Luton at 32, Portsmouth at 39 and Oxford at 46. The rest apart from Northampton (1 season) have never been anywhere near the top flight.Our expectation is based upon this history and certainly cannot be compared with the expectations of the likes of Lincoln, Torquay, Grimsby etc.[/quote]History conveys no such "right to expect". To imagine Norwich fans have more "right" to expect top tier football than Lincoln fans is ludicrous. History may cause one club''s fans to form higher expectations than another''s, but that''s a different matter. Furthermore, history moves on and, like everything else, the football world changes. Those who don''t adjust their expectations accordingly are justly accused of "living in the past".

No not at all, the question was why does Delia get an easy ride not comparing her to a club irrelevant to this thread!

My point being if we were to have been bought out back in 96 by mega rich owner who paid 8 million for control and now here, would you be so compassionate as you are towards Delia?

Does the wealth of someone relate to your loyalty or would it be the same as they saved us all those years ago?

[quote user="Indy"]No not at all, the question was why does Delia get an easy ride not comparing her to a club irrelevant to this thread!

My point being if we were to have been bought out back in 96 by mega rich owner who paid 8 million for control and now here, would you be so compassionate as you are towards Delia?

Does the wealth of someone relate to your loyalty or would it be the same as they saved us all those years ago?[/quote]No idea.But to be honest, does she get an easy ride from fans? I see endless criticism of here on here.Oddly though, not when we''re doing well....

Yes I believe she does having gone through 95 / 96 season and events, the way the board keep repeating the same mistakes over again and the club & fans becoming distant from a United front as needed.

But that''s just my view, a large factor in my not renewing my season ticket and not coming to games after forty years.

"I wonder how much Evans has "invested" at Ipswich?

He seems to get a pretty easy ride too."

You visit TWTD occasionally as I do M. He gets slated on there and probably more than Delia does on here.

It seems he covers the £8 million annual loss, but then adds it to the debt. I don''t think he currently charges any interest, although he did once.

Any money McCarthy gets comes from sales eg. £8m for Mings, but they complain that not all of it by a stretch is released and a lot goes to Evans.

Evans caught a cold when he gave considerable amounts to Keane and Jewell and they both failed abysmally.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"I wonder how much Evans has "invested" at Ipswich?

He seems to get a pretty easy ride too."

You visit TWTD occasionally as I do M. He gets slated on there and probably more than Delia does on here.

It seems he covers the £8 million annual loss, but then adds it to the debt. I don''t think he currently charges any interest, although he did once.

Any money McCarthy gets comes from sales eg. £8m for Mings, but they complain that not all of it by a stretch is released and a lot goes to Evans.

Evans caught a cold when he gave considerable amounts to Keane and Jewell and they both failed abysmally.[/quote]I don''t really think he does, all things considered.Can you imagine what this place would be like if we were in their position?

Wow. Did I really just read is mentioned in the same breath as Lincoln, Northampton and Oxford!

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]Yes. It was surely a good read, but I cannot agree with it all.

We have a right to expect more from the current squad, who were after all tipped for promotion by a whole host of pundits prior to the season''s start.[/quote]Yes Broadstairs I think we have every right to expect to be higher than most if not all of those mentioned.If we take the modern era as the last 50 years then an overall table would position Norwich at 16, ( 1 place above 1p5wich, 1 place below WBA), Luton at 32, Portsmouth at 39 and Oxford at 46. The rest apart from Northampton (1 season) have never been anywhere near the top flight.Our expectation is based upon this history and certainly cannot be compared with the expectations of the likes of Lincoln, Torquay, Grimsby etc.[/quote][Y]