Sign in to follow this  
Number 9

Gammon ham and pineapple

re, tactics.

It''s great to read long excerpts from text books about double pivots etc, fantastic, but realistically how do you play and win against a high pressing team?

We have a conundrum here because managers and players want to be very clever and play fast triangles through the thirds, passing the ball into the goal.

Any deviation from that is seen as not clever, league two football etc, so they keep playing into the hands of high pressing teams.

So how do you play against high pressing teams?

Long balls.

I''m sorry but that''s what NCFC can''t bring themselves to do, a team who presses fast and high (this leagues tactics against us) are incredibly susceptible to long balls forward.

We have tall forwards, and while I don''t want to watch hoofball Stoke style all the time) surely, we need to use tactics to win the game.

There, I''ve said it, hoofball.

I love to see football played on the grass, love watching Wes, his pass to camjam Saturday for instance, but, we are regularly losing out to teams pressing fast and high.

I know a long ball works against those pressing tactics, any other way to deal with it? What we have been doing isn''t working.

You do what works, if Hoofball works then so be it!

Not the prettiest of football but at this level winning is all that counts.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]I love teams that press highly and harass defenders, I WISH WE WOULD PLAY THAT WAY [/quote]I wish we could play.......................

Tactics?

Don''t tell me that AN using a bingo ball machine prior to kick-off to pick the squad isn''t tactical.

It''s all brains, you just don''t understand...

Come on guys. Give AN credit - in the last five minutes at the New York Stadium we had Jerome, Lafferty, Martin and Klose playing up front, with Naismith and Pritchard playing centre half. The latter two lobbed the ball high into the box, but Lafferty didn''t jump, Russ we all know can''t head a ball to save his life, whilst Cam and Klose did their best to get their heads on it but couldn''t find anyone running on to the knock downs. This was because Wes was still trying to turn out of another run he was making in his head, Whitts and Pinto were out on the wing.

We haven''t got the players to play hoof ball - I blame the Director of Player Recruitment.