Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

On the sending off

Just watched the replays. Cannot argue against the red- but how he hell did we not get a penalty first??! Oliviera, in his defence, was tackled around the neck and hauled to the ground in plain sight of everyone. It would have been a sin bin offence in rugby and the retaliation would have been left alone. Harsh.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Just watched the replays. Cannot argue against the red- but how he hell did we not get a penalty first??! Oliviera, in his defence, was tackled around the neck and hauled to the ground in plain sight of everyone. It would have been a sin bin offence in rugby and the retaliation would have been left alone. Harsh.[/quote]Not harsh in the slightest.Olviera knows the rules and he massively broke them.

I think if people didn''t have such a downer on everything to do with NCFC there would have been a lot of discontent about some of yesterday''s refereeing. The current reaction is probably the opposite of yellow & green glasses whatever colour they may be.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Just watched the replays. Cannot argue against the red- but how he hell did we not get a penalty first??! Oliviera, in his defence, was tackled around the neck and hauled to the ground in plain sight of everyone. It would have been a sin bin offence in rugby and the retaliation would have been left alone. Harsh.[/quote]

The ref had a decision to make and Oliveira made it easy for him by retaliating, maybe would have got a penalty if he hadn''t, but I don''t altogether blame Oliveira though - he was being held down with his face held into the ground.  What would anyone do in that situation?  Lie there with your face held in the dirt unable to breathe or try to get the person carrying out the assault to get off you?  

Have you even seen the incident?Olviera basically swung a big old haymaker at the guy.Stupid.And yet again you are embarrassing yourself with your lack of football knowledge. Have you ever played football Lakey?

I am saying that regardless of the swinging arm- a fair red - the ref has to deal with the incident leading up to it. A brutal tackle that, even in rugby, would have been a yellow or red as it was around then neck. Indeed in rugby oliviera might have been allowed to stay on because he was only responding to an violent outburst.

Fair enough he walks- he knows to keep his arms to himself. But his retaliation doesn''t stop the penalty does it?

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]I am saying that regardless of the swinging arm- a fair red - the ref has to deal with the incident leading up to it. A brutal tackle that, even in rugby, would have been a yellow or red as it was around then neck. Indeed in rugby oliviera might have been allowed to stay on because he was only responding to an violent outburst.

Fair enough he walks- he knows to keep his arms to himself. But his retaliation doesn''t stop the penalty does it?[/quote]I don''t think it was a pen.

[quote user="morty"]Have you even seen the incident?Olviera basically swung a big old haymaker at the guy.Stupid.And yet again you are embarrassing yourself with your lack of football knowledge. Have you ever played football Lakey?[/quote]

Oh dear oh dear. You can''t stop yourself, can you. It wasn''t a haymaker. He had his face in the ground and he swung his arm behind him in a back hand swing. Why don''t you check properly before coming out with the put downs?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Have you even seen the incident?Olviera basically swung a big old haymaker at the guy.Stupid.And yet again you are embarrassing yourself with your lack of football knowledge. Have you ever played football Lakey?[/quote]

Oh dear oh dear. You can''t stop yourself, can you. It wasn''t a haymaker. He had his face in the ground and he swung his arm behind him in a back hand swing. Why don''t you check properly before coming out with the put downs?

[/quote]I have seen the incident.He struck out at the player and was rightly sent off.This is you taking the contrary opinion again to attract drama, isn''t it?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="morty"]Have you even seen the incident?Olviera basically swung a big old haymaker at the guy.Stupid.And yet again you are embarrassing yourself with your lack of football knowledge. Have you ever played football Lakey?[/quote]

[/quote]I have seen the incident.He struck out at the player and was rightly sent off.This is you taking the contrary opinion again to attract drama, isn''t it?[/quote]

Suggest you study it a bit closer then.  And no, it''s not a contrary opinion, it''s pretty much what happened.  And yes, he had to be sent off before you insinuate I am saying something different - again.  

As a referee myself these incidents are always difficult to get right as how much provocation is a player expected to take before he retaliates .

Unfortunately when you swing an arm like He did and make contact with the face then your gone. I suspect the ref did not see the incident at all and was relying on distant assistant, hence ref belatedly booked the Rotherham defender for initial offence of high rugby tackle.

I would suggest it wasn''t the rugby tackle that instigated the retaliation but the fact that Nelson was being held down with his face in the dirt.

In such instances it is almost a natural reaction to swing to get out of the situation you find yourself in.

Unfortunately you cannot do that on a football pitch!

The red card was the correct decision as it was plain to see. Perhaps the actions before that were somewhat more difficult for the officials to see (and some posters!).

The correct decision would have been a penalty to Norwich and a red card to Oliviera.

How anyone can think what Broadfoot did was not a foul is beyond me. To not think it was a foul and also accuse someone of knowing nothing about football in the same thread is even more bizarre.

Oliviera was an idiot to react how he did.

The ref was an idiot not to award a penalty.

But again, I didn''t get that riled up about what was an absolutely glaring refereeing blunder because of how empathetic Alex Neil is making me.

Regardless of what the ref saw, or didn''t, the emphasis, for the vast majority, is Olvieras naive stupidity

So, what offence did Broadfoot get booked for? Oliveira''s would be violent conduct. Unless Broadfoot''s was dissent or simulation, it would have to be for foul play, which means it should have been a penalty?

[quote user="morty"]Regardless of what the ref saw, or didn''t, the emphasis, for the vast majority, is Olvieras naive stupidity[/quote]

Do we really need a spokesman for the vast majority?   Or should we just let people speak for themelves?

[quote user="canarydan23"]Broadfoot wasn''t booked for that incident.[/quote]

wasn''t he? what did he get booked for and when?