Sign in to follow this  
50 years a Supporter

What are we supposed to cheer for?

If all the board are happy that AN is doing the job adequately (which they must be as he is still in place) it must follow that they don''t want to win too often as, if they do, promotion may become a real possibility.

How then do we support the club to achieve their ambition? What games do we cheer them on, and what games would they rather we cheer the opposition? Perhaps the board or the manager could let us know in the pre-match press conference?

Maybe too they could let us in at a reduced price for the games they''d rather not win. I expect good old Seb will feature in them (just in case we do somehow manage to fluke a lead)?

Seriously - if the aim is not to win too often, how can we be expected to support?

Yes, their plan is that we don''t win too often.Cheer the opposition?Jesus Christ.Have you ever rung Canary call?

I don''t see the relevance of the last question.

What I do see is a conundrum based around what is the club and, following that, how we can do our duty as supporters?

The board clearly don''t want to win too often, and most the players have to strike a nice balance between achieving some win bonuses whilst making sure they don''t get too many as they know most of them know that they will be out of a job the year after if we should go up a division,

What''s left of the club if you take out the board and the players?

How should we support them? If they don''t want to win every game, then surely they must want us to cheer the opposition on some occasions?

Rather than a monosyllabic insult, perhaps someone who disagrees could dissect the logic behind my post and offer a reasoned argument as to why, if I am to support the club in their aims, I shouldn''t sometimes cheer the opposition?

Only doing my duty as a supporter ....... shouldn''t be insulted for that.

I can''t see any logic behind it. Unless you only supported the years during the last 50 where we were challenging for promotion.

[quote user="50 years a Supporter"]Rather than a monosyllabic insult, perhaps someone who disagrees could dissect the logic behind my post and offer a reasoned argument as to why, if I am to support the club in their aims, I shouldn''t sometimes cheer the opposition?

Only doing my duty as a supporter ....... shouldn''t be insulted for that.[/quote]The main issue is your post follows no logic whatsoever.Were you trying to be funny, is that it?

We have a financially viable club, which is run by a team of people who care dearly about the players, the staff and guess what else..? YOU. We have an excellent stadium, with a high end restaurant, which has created numerous jobs. We have one of the top dogs of English football in Jez Moxey overseeing, steering, moulding the club into what will be a true force to be reckoned with. Rome wasn''t built in a day, just remember that.

Just remember that.

Maybe it is my age, and maybe I was too naive when I was younger, but I honestly don''t remember ever believing before that the aim of the board, the players, and the manager was to simply maintain the status quo - no more, no less.

I heard the story in the Chase era that when Dave Stringer asked for another striker so that he could win the league he was told that the board didn''t care where he finished as long as he didn''t get relegated, and I guess that comes close.

At least then, however, the players and the managerial team had the ambition and the fire in their bellies that inspired us to get behind them.

In later eras I''ve seen Darren Eadie play his heart out week after week in an otherwise mediocre team (Roeder/Grant time?) and Huckerby and Crouch bandage Worthy''s deteriorating ability to motivate.

In a nutshell, there has always been something to cheer (or so I thought). I always had the belief that at least some of the club had the passion and the pride to want to do the badge justice.

Even Craig Bellamy, self centred though he was, gave his all - and in the Saunders era there was no doubt that the entire team did.

Now I see a manager who just isn''t up to it, a board that doesn''t really mind, and most of the players going through the motions without any obvious drive. Where''s the team? What is there to support?

If they don''t want to win every game enough to be able to convince us that anything other than victory will hurt them, why should we blindly cheer them?

Why not just support them in their goal to win just enough to survive, but not too many to risk having to stretch themselves? Surely that''s what a true fan would do? Surely a true fan would not super-impose their own ambitions onto a body that clearly doesn''t want to embrace them - that would be pulling in a different direction?

[quote user="50 years a Supporter"]I don''t see the relevance of the last question.

What I do see is a conundrum based around what is the club and, following that, how we can do our duty as supporters?

The board clearly don''t want to win too often, and most the players have to strike a nice balance between achieving some win bonuses whilst making sure they don''t get too many as they know most of them know that they will be out of a job the year after if we should go up a division,

What''s left of the club if you take out the board and the players?

How should we support them? If they don''t want to win every game, then surely they must want us to cheer the opposition on some occasions?[/quote]The ground and pitch, the corner flags and all those forks they always poke into the ground at half timegoalposts and Colneythe club bus and all the other types of coaches and the kiteven a big pile of unsold sausage rolls and a hidden stash of scampi ''pieces'' that are believed to be hoarded away for a rainy daymaybe there are other things as well

That''s the last 25 or so years although Eadie didn''t play under Roeder or Grant. Or even Worthy. How were those formative years when Lol Morgan was manager?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Anyway. This 50 years thing. Mine comes round on March 11th. Do I get a badge?[/quote]Or maybe just start a bat$hit crazy thread?

" I heard the story in the Chase era that when Dave Stringer asked for

another striker so that he could win the league he was told that the

board didn''t care where he finished as long as he didn''t get relegated,

and I guess that comes close."
yes. I am sure that happenedas I heard that Chase would lay on the South stand roof (or was it the grassy knoll behind the Barclay) and shoot any City player who came close to scoring - nothing serious, just a twinge from a pellet gunapparently he used to rest on Watlings walletor so I was told

Why give the chap a hard time?

I suppose it''s habitual on here.

Clearly he is referring to the Delia interview whereby she condemns the way money influences the modern game and how this is influenced by that awful Premier League.

Clearly he is referring to the boards insistence upon sticking with a loser in Alex Neil, when most would have wanted him gone by now.

Clearly he is referring to this ten year re-build , or whatever it is, which suggests that Championship football will do for now.

I for one want to give the OP a chance for his view to be heard

If you go back to the beginning of those 50 years supporting can you remember what the average size of scampi 🍤 portion was at the club?

[quote user="morty"]Read the OP again Broady.It was nonsense.[/quote]

No, it wasn''t nonsense; it was ironic and clearly meant to be taken slightly tongue in cheek with the serious point behind it that the higher echelons within the club appear to be willing to settle for mediocrity.

You, on the other hand, seem unable to stop yourself from trotting out your usual, superior, withering put-downs. Compared with the message boards of some other clubs, this one stagnates due to a lack of new blood and this is not helped when people like you jump all over them when they dare to post something.

Scampi is just a posh term for prawns in any case.

Dublin Bay more likely, the Whitstable prawns we get here are, I believe, smaller.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Scampi is just a posh term for prawns in any case.

Dublin Bay more likely, the Whitstable prawns we get here are, I believe, smaller.[/quote]Ah yes, the good old Langoustine (aka Norway Lobster, Dublin Bay Prawn).  I wonder if the scampi at the club contains any langoustine?  Furthermore, is it whole tail? [:^)]

I agree with broadstairs they are shrimps and small in number as well

Maybe the OP could give us a chronological history of NCFC scampi through the ages, a fascinating story for all concerned