Sign in to follow this  
I am a Banana (All Grown Up)

Henri Lansbury?

Same from me, was great when he was here before, linking up with Wes and Holty.

Apparently Villa are in for him too, though.

Can he play CB or LB?Surely it''s a question of priorities when you''re on a budget but sadly, where he plays isn''t one of them. Therefore it has to be a no.

"Can he play CB or LB?

Surely it''s a question of priorities when you''re on a budget but sadly, where he plays isn''t one of them.

Therefore it has to be a no."

There are mentions of Lansbury in another thread and I made the same point about priorities.

If Sunderland come back for Naismith (unlikely?) then we could afford to consider this one.

with Mulumbu away, Howson and Dorrans injured (not clear how long for), Tettey on 9 yellows and Thomson not seemingly going to be fit anytime soon, we do need someone in the middle of the pitch. He fits the bill perfectly. With the money from Olsson, and maybe Brady, we could get him, a LB and a loan striker (Rhodes, if Bamford signs for Boro).

"I am a Banana (All Grown Up)"Nottingham Post suggesting we''ve joined the race to sign him.Big yes from me.

This is just one newspaper quoting a report from another newspaper who probably didn''t have an actual quote anyway.Looks like one of those stories that are manufactured by the players agent to put pressure on the club originally negotiating as they use the classic tabloid code that talks have "stalled".

Still only 26, and is more comfortable sitting a bit deeper and spraying passes these days. Has a lot of bite in the tackle and great desire, could be the captain/leader we really need. Would welcome him back with open arms. If we could get £20+m for any two of Klose, Brady, Naismith or Murphy, then sign Lansbury, a CB and a LB, that''d be a good window IMO. If we could offload Turner and/or Lafferty too, so much the better.

Sort of player we do need. Hopefully bring an end to the likes of Tettey & Mulumbu. Ship out the dead wood.

People saying on twitter he wasn''t that good etc when he was last here. He was only a young lad (20) when he came here without lots of first team experience. Didnt always suit the diamond formation especially no.10 if wes was missing.

Now he''s 26 captain of a big championship side. Since he left us he''s had a season at West Ham and 6 at forest.

[quote user="lake district canary"]He could play alongside Howson - the two of them side by side would be awesome imo. [/quote]Dorrans and Howson work well together, and Lansbury is more of a physical presence and a better passer than Dorrans (who certainly isn''t weak in either attribute).If we wanted to be more solid, we could always add Tettey/Mulumbu/Thompson in as a holding midfielder (Thompson being the obvious candidate for the future), then two wingers and a striker, with Howson and Lansbury having more scope to bomb forward into the box. Could work beautifully, either way.

I like Lansbury and would be pleased if we signed him. Not really the signing I''d be looking for, midfield isn''t the issue, it''s our god awful defence.

[quote user="Ginja"]I like Lansbury and would be pleased if we signed him. Not really the signing I''d be looking for, midfield isn''t the issue, it''s our god awful defence.[/quote]The defence is partly weak because of the rest of the team around it.  Lansbury is the kind of competitor and character that would help the defensive side of our game.   A defender or two would help too of course, but if Lansbury is available and we can afford him, it''s a no brainer for me.

He’s very much in the Bradley Johnson mould. Can play in a couple of midfield positions. Can tackle, gives his all and actually cares!

[quote user="komakino"]Why would he come here? In fact - why would any player some here in the current situation?[/quote]Because he has played for us before, and because his current club are much lower in the table than us and in utter turmoil? I''m sure if Villa really want him they''ll ''do a McCormack'' and pay way over the odds, but I think we''d be in with a chance.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Ginja"]I like Lansbury and would be pleased if we signed him. Not really the signing I''d be looking for, midfield isn''t the issue, it''s our god awful defence.[/quote]The defence is partly weak because of the rest of the team around it.  Lansbury is the kind of competitor and character that would help the defensive side of our game.   A defender or two would help too of course, but if Lansbury is available and we can afford him, it''s a no brainer for me.                  [/quote]
Yes of course, it''s the midfield''s fault we leave attackers completely unmarked and unchallenged in the box, how silly of me.

Funny how nearly everyone slates our defence (and rightly so), ridicules AN for not fixing it (and rightly so), and then think it''s a great idea to buy yet another midfielder when clearly we have been in dire need of at least 2 decent defenders for the last 2 seasons and we currently have only one LB.In all honesty you''re just as bad as him.And don''t tell me that Lansbury will protect the defence - you could put the Belin Wall in front of that lot and they''d still manage to concede stupid goals.

I''d certainly have him here but think we''d need to offload a midfielder of ours already to allow for the move.

''''He could play alongside Howson - the two of them side by side would be awesome imo. ''''........ LDC

With Dorrans on the Left, perhaps Lakey?

Poor old Naismith''s not had a mention in this thread and it seems Lansbury would be generally preferred over him.

I would suggest, but hope I''m way off the mark, that for us to go for Lansbury, who won''t be cheap, we would need to find a buyer for SN. That might not be easy as he has already turned down Sunderland reportedly because he would have had to accept a pay cut.

Having both Lansbury and Naismith at the same time would be a bit luxurious. Not quite the same type of midfielder, but they overlap in many ways.

Fair point Broadstairs, I would imagine signing a player like Lansbury would rely on Naismith departing.