Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Southampton Away

A change in topic and perhaps a fresh thread from posters falling out with each other (every thread or every other thread?) so ....what team will Neil put out?

Presumably he will put out a competitive team desperately in search of a result to ease some pressure on him.

McGovern, Pinto, Bassong, Martin, Brady ( due back?), Tettey, Howson?, Pritchard, Josh, Naismith, Jerome?

You would expect they will want to put the Rotherham performance well and truly behind them ( Wes was excellent however for the whole game)

And predictions for Wednesday.? I think we could get a tonking with 3 or 4 goals against, maybe worse. Hope has ebbed away I''m afraid and now the realist.

We''re so short in central midfield I wouldn''t be surprised to see a youngster in there - can''t really risk Howson with Dorrans, Thompson and Mulumbu all unavailable.

"Hope has ebbed away I''m afraid and now the realist." 

Indeed. Any enthusiasm I was feeling for the cup has gone. A good draw against Southampton after that Derby match and you thought we could be on our way at last, but the result yesterday has put a complete dampener on everything for me. But......it is still an opportunity and really, I suppose we should play as much as possible of the team that played in the home leg, with Brady in for Olsson.  Whittaker did well against Southampton and deserves to keep his place instead of Pinto imo.  With our lack of midfielders this could be a match for Maddison as he is at CR atm.  We could do with a boost - and he might be the person to inspire us.

I think Whittaker will continue and Alex won''t risk more league starters than he has to as I don''t think a cup exit will affect his job - it''s all about Wolves on Saturday. That said, I don''t think we''ll get mauled or anything, there''s still a few players there that are more than capable of getting a result if they show up, it depends how much they want it. Southampton lost against Burnley so will be looking to rectify things also, could (I hope) be a good game ending in our favour but we''ll see. Alex''s managerial career at City began away in that 2-1 win against Bournemouth - would be weird to witness both his first and last games for us down here, hopefully we''ll pull it out the bag though.

both tettey and howson deserve to be dropped after saturdays white flag efforts - but there are precious few alternatives.

By all means give Ray Grant a chance perhaps alongside Naismith being best suited to central midfield.

Beyond that I would assume the back 4 would be Whittaker, Martin, Klose and the returningBrady.

Lambs to the slaughter.

I had fancied a little cup upset, and indeed hoped for one.

Saturday''s result has tipped me completel and I now see the priority as not being cup runs more sacking the manager.

We''ll get nowhere with this clown, league or cup.

Really can''t risk Tettey in my view. If he got a yellow in this game would miss two games in the league where we probably have no other fit midfielders. Play the kids.

The odd thing is that this could actually be quite winnable, as Southampton probably want this replay less than we do.But the sensible thing to do will be to play a fair bit of youth.We are literally one or two injuries away from a proper crisis, imagine losing Jerome, Whittaker or Tettey?

Is there a separate press conference before this game Wednesday?

I find it hard to predict what team Neil will put out, no obvious logic sometimes.

You would suggest that the u23 team will play, but who knows.

[quote user="morty"]The odd thing is that this could actually be quite winnable, as Southampton probably want this replay less than we do.But the sensible thing to do will be to play a fair bit of youth.We are literally one or two injuries away from a proper crisis, imagine losing Jerome, Whittaker or Tettey?[/quote]

Imagine losing Whittaker.........

[quote user="morty"]Are any of you taking advantage of the free travel and super cheap tickets?[/quote]
Honestly I wouldn''t go even if they offered to pay me, 6 hour round trip, dire away form, I fully expect Southampton to thrash us.
Nothing but respect for fans willing to make this trip, I hope for their sake I am wrong and they get to see a good game.

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="morty"]Are any of you taking advantage of the free travel and super cheap tickets?[/quote]
Honestly I wouldn''t go even if they offered to pay me, 6 hour round trip, dire away form, I fully expect Southampton to thrash us.
Nothing but respect for fans willing to make this trip, I hope for their sake I am wrong and they get to see a good game.
[/quote]I think, for the price, its worth the gamble!

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Ginja"][quote user="morty"]Are any of you taking advantage of the free travel and super cheap tickets?[/quote]

[/quote]
I think I''m probably just still too bitter having gone to Rotherham [:P]
If I still lived in Norwich area then £12 ticket and free travel would be an absolute steal but still even with that on coach it''s got to be 5 hours there, 5 hours back? If it goes to extra time and penalties, not going to be home until 3 or 4 in the morning!
As I said, nothing but respect!

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Ginja"][quote user="morty"]Are any of you taking advantage of the free travel and super cheap tickets?[/quote]

[/quote]
I think I''m probably just still too bitter having gone to Rotherham [:P]
If I still lived in Norwich area then £12 ticket and free travel would be an absolute steal but still even with that on coach it''s got to be 5 hours there, 5 hours back? If it goes to extra time and penalties, not going to be home until 3 or 4 in the morning!
As I said, nothing but respect!
[/quote]I didn''t go to Rotherham, not long back from work, and really couldn''t be bothered with it.Yeah I went to Everton away in the cup last season and didn''t get home till about 4 am after that went to extra time. Its not too bad for me though as I don''t have work to get up for.And despite everything, I still have that nagging belief that we can get something from this!

Redmond will likely play and have a point to prove, re: his in/out playing existence under Neil.

He has also proved in the past that he can rise to the big occasion, and this will be a big occasion for him.

Maybe have a quid or two on NR to score a goal.

Not going, thought hard about driving, but decided against it, just too late with work commitments. No idea what side we will start with, but expect to see likes of Maddison start.

I would start Whittaker in midfield.... 😉

I''ll be there, I think we can shuffle across the back so I wouldn''t be surprised to see Robbie Brady as an emergency central midfielder with Jarvis coming back in on the flank, was going to type more but the permutations of Wednesdays line up is becoming a total headf*** just trying to guess what line up it''ll be aaargh! Surely got to be one or 2 youngsters in? Maybe Tettey will play? Will Canos be involved? Will we sign an emergency central midfielder or 2 on loan today that aren''t Cup tied? It is not a great time to be a City supporter, but it is certainly amongst the most interesting!

A bit harsh on Howson who played only part of the first half &was clearly struggling with injury. Incidentally was I the only one that spotted Howson & Klose have a frank exchange of views soon after the first goal. Ironically Naismith stepped in as peacemaker, not his usual role

A fair few of the stronger regulars conspicuous in their absence from the U23 squad playing today.Probably gives a hint for the Southampton game.

Might be a chance for Grant or McGrandles to start- if Howson isn''t fully fit we don''t want to risk him.

I''d go with something like

McGovern

Godfrey, Bennett, Bassong, Brady

Grant/McGrandles, Tettey

Canos, Pritchard, Josh

Jerome

Listened to Le Tiz on Sky at the weekend talking about Saints upcoming fixtures and he was certain they would putout a virtual reserve team against us.

Trouble is we might end up doing the same as any injuries to key players could be disastrous and surely AN will be seeing the Wolves game as our (and his) priority.

Two reserve teams is harder to predict but surely gives us more chance than if both teams were at full strength.

Quite a few players not featuring for the under 23''s today, maybe signalling they will be needed v Southampton.

Grant, McGrandles, Godfrey, Maddison and Morris all not involved.

One good thing about this ''extra'' game, it helps with the 3 game bans for Brady and Oliveira, one less league game they miss. Brady back for Saturday - if he''s still here.

There is no point risking tettey. May aswell save him for the weekend. Id go

Ruddy

Pinto martin klose whittaker

Godfrey grant

Naismith maddison josh

Lafferty/morris

Mcgovern, bassong, bennett, mcgrandles, pritchard, canos and jerome

[quote user="Lynn Canary"]There is no point risking tettey. May aswell save him for the weekend. Id go

Ruddy

Pinto martin klose whittaker

Godfrey grant

Naismith maddison josh

Lafferty/morris

Mcgovern, bassong, bennett, mcgrandles, pritchard, canos and jerome[/quote]I would be happy with this, would love to see the likes of Godfrey and Grant step up.Lafferty can do one though.