Sign in to follow this  
Barking Mad Barclay Boy

Official- olssson Joins swansea

[quote user="hogesar"]If it''s around £4 million then we''ve drastically undersold, in my opinion.[/quote]

I agree but we put ourselves in that position. We clearly agreed that he could leave to an EPL club as part of his November 2016 contract negotiations. If there are no other interested parties we had to take their offer.

It surprises me that no other EPL club stepped in with a better offer. It does seem like a bargain but clearly he is not as highly valued within the game. You would have thought that we would be better off holding on to him at least until we found a replacement but it seems the terms of his contract overrode that.

We will soon find out the value of full backs when we try to buy one. My guess is that £4m will not buy much, especially when the buying club is desperate.

Assuming we do sign a left back he presumably won''t start until April as he wont be up to our level of fitness or in tune with style of football, if recent signings are anything to go by!

Well, given our previous repeated failures to sign centre-backs when it was clear to all that we needed new faces in that position, I certainly won''t be taking it as read that we''ll sign a replacement left-back. Or indeed that we won''t sell the one player left on our books (Brady) who can do an adequate job there.And let''s be honest, our defence has looked shambolic as it stands, so if we take out the pretty decent Olsen and replace him with somebody down a notch then it doesn''t exactly bode well.

Regardless of what is being said on this post......I personally wish the player well and thank him for his contribution for the time he spent here.......I thought he was a more than decent professional.

Good luck, Mr O''........

[quote user="morty"]Trust me, if we don''t sign a left back in this window, I''ll be the first to be ringing Canary call.....[/quote]
Totally bookmarking this for later, you''re tempting fate massively here... [:P]
Part of me doesn''t want us to sign a left back now, just to hear morty on canary call! [:D]

Yes, I wish him well, thanks for the memories. Warmed the heart to see Olsson, Brady and Wes in a huddle at the Euro''s, after Ireland v Sweden, our boys.

Where we go from here however, I just don''t know, as others have said we now have the money to pay AN off, let''s hope that happens and we go again,

[quote user="Ginja"][quote user="morty"]Trust me, if we don''t sign a left back in this window, I''ll be the first to be ringing Canary call.....[/quote]
Totally bookmarking this for later, you''re tempting fate massively here... [:P]
Part of me doesn''t want us to sign a left back now, just to hear morty on canary call! [:D]
[/quote]Oh for an edit button[:(][;)]

3 at the back for the rest of the season then. Should be interesting. I am also looking forward to Morty on Canary Call.

Seriously though, has anyone any idea who Ollllsssssonnns replacement could be?....or for that matter, should be?

£4.5M + add-ons.

Bit sad to see him go seeing as he''s our only recognised left back, and seemingly no replacement ready to announce. We did, however, make a £2m profit on him I believe. Seems an odd destination when Swansea look quite likely to get relegated this year.

Morty, I think you can sleep safe, we have no left back, surely those in charge of Norwich aren''t THAT crazy... gulp...

From the press conference :-"With Martin Olsson, its good business for both clubs, he''s left on good terms, we have irons in the fire"

[quote user="morty"]From the press conference :-"With Martin Olsson, its good business for both clubs, he''s left on good terms, we have irons in the fire"[/quote]
Well, that''s all well and good but when is that Iron returning from that fire?

Olsson should not have been allowed to go until we have one secured. It would not surprise me if we sell both Brady and Olsson before getting a new left back in.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Olsson should not have been allowed to go until we have one secured. It would not surprise me if we sell both Brady and Olsson before getting a new left back in.[/quote]It does not surprise me, that it would not surprise you.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mason 47"]All signs point to new left back and I do think we will get one. I''m just a little wary- our recent track record with adequately dealing with the main squad issues transfer-wise has been poor.

I just don''t think I can get hurt again :''([/quote]This is different though.Its not a case of "A new left back would be nice" its a case where it is an absolute necessity. [/quote]
So was a new CB in the summer....

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mason 47"]All signs point to new left back and I do think we will get one. I''m just a little wary- our recent track record with adequately dealing with the main squad issues transfer-wise has been poor.

I just don''t think I can get hurt again :''([/quote]This is different though.Its not a case of "A new left back would be nice" its a case where it is an absolute necessity. [/quote]
So was a new CB in the summer....
[/quote]Different thing though, as we actually had plenty of them, regardless of how you rate them.

It is a fair point, regardless of what has happened during this season, on paper a back 2 pairing of Klose, Martin, Bassong, Bennett, Turner, Godfrey should be good enough for the championship.

Having one leftback who was injured at the start of the season, and sending your only other left back out on loan never, ever made any sense to me!

I think the whole "not letting Olsson go until replacement found" thing is all well said, but, if his head was turned and he wasn''t up for playing for us due to an impending move, then we may as well just let him go anyway.

No point dragging something out if the figure between the clubs had been agreed.

First step in a very necessary rebuild. I too wish MO well, a good professional who didn''t let failing to secure a move last year (when Swansea were interested) affect his performances for us. A good move for him at this stage of his career, despite the likelihood that only a backup role awaits once Taylor has recovered, and with relegation a real possibility.

Left backs are from 10 a penny, and merely half-decent left backs are a very rare breed indeed.  We may well sign ''a left back'', I just hope and pray it''s someone approaching the standard of Olsson.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Left backs are from 10 a penny, and merely half-decent left backs are a very rare breed indeed.  We may well sign ''a left back'', I just hope and pray it''s someone approaching the standard of OlssonIf the Daily Mail are to be believed, the replacement could be 28 yr old James Meredith, Bradord left back, never played above L1, 2 caps for Australia. A right cheap replacement no doubt.[/quote]

Any replacements will not have the same record as MO, hopefully a younger hungrier player looking for regular pitch time such as garbutt.

We are rebuilding in transition and for any position what we may lose in perceived quality we may gain in drive committment and discipline

Good sale imo, all the best to him, he will be back in the championship next season. Glad we got some cash for him and hopefully we will get a new younger lb as we look to rebuild this tired old squad

Looks like £4 million. A real give away. Can anyone seriously say we will get a replacement of his standard at that price. I gain the impression it is a panic sale to get some money in albeit that the first ticket sales receipts are not that far off. By the way that is a bit of a racket paying 6 months upfront for what could be a very gloomy season ahead i.e. what sort of Manager and Team will we have !!!