Sign in to follow this  
Van wink

All in the Mind

Listening to Wee Paul last night promoting his line of work.

Easy to take that with a pinch of salt but we have all spoken on here about the apparent mental fragility in some of our squad and also an apparent lack of motivation in some, many recent, games!

Does anyone know if we have a sports psychologist working with our players, and coaching team.

If not I ask the question why?

I''m replying only to reassure you that something does exist outside your mind VanWink [;)] I''m surprised Ray hasn''t posted about AN having said at some point in some context that he doesn''t attach great importance to psychology. Still, that doesn''t mean we don''t have a sports psychologist working with our players. It would be interesting to know a bit more about the support services/infrastructure available (or not) to coaches and players, not just psychology but physio dept, analytics, and so on. Also to what extent cuts are affecting them following relegation.

Westcoast, thank you for doing my work for me, although the point was raised by another poster I was only repeating what I had read.

That said, if we do have a psychologist he would be on an uphill challenge if the manager wasn''t 100% committed to the cause.

I think I''m correct in saying there is no fixed/formal approach by the club and it is left to the individual player. Could be an area for improvement perhaps?

I know that we do take the psychological side of things very seriously at Colney. Ricky Martin is very well briefed on the subject and is the "go to" guy for the players to fortify their mental strength.

Duncan,

So down to the individual player then and unless they want to pay someone else RM is the in-house man. I suspect not many, if any, take up the offer.

Cheers WC

Indeed Ray. It''s such a big part of sport at the top level, I would be dissapointed if it wasn''t an area we were working on.

Duncan''s remark doesn''t fill me with confidence😉

It''s pretty obvious we are mentally fragile, surely AN would appreciate some help here 😀

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="FenwayFrank"]As I said, it''s up to the players whether they use him or not[/quote]Is this the case at most clubs?[/quote]

Seems a bit odd if so.  With all the knowledge that exists now about how the mind works, you would think classes in how to get your mental approach at it''s best for optimium performance would be compulsory.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="FenwayFrank"]As I said, it''s up to the players whether they use him or not[/quote]Is this the case at most clubs?[/quote]It''s a pretty safe bet it is at "most clubs", as FF says. But we aren''t interested in practice at most clubs; we are/should be interested in gaining an edge against our immediate competition or at least ensuring we are as competitive as possible within the limitations of our means. People tend to think only of the implications of relegation in terms of keeping and paying players. IMO maintaining the supporting infrastructure is actually more important, since on it depends your ability to get the best out of your squad.

Spot on WestCoast

Now I run the risk of "stick to beat the club" accusations here, but seriously, this is an area that we should have addressed having witnessed the way our lads have been performing this seasons.

There are plenty of players at clubs that don''t feel they need to speak to someone about their performances. Bradley Wiggins always said he didn''t need any help from a very well regarded psychologist and he seemed to do ok on his own.

[Y] though I think you are rather jumping to a diagnosis from an inevitably incomplete investigation of symptoms. The points I''m making are more general and strategic, to do with resource allocation than the current performance of our team. I''m pretty sure Parma would say that this is another area where English football lags far behind (in contrast to many other sports in this country, especially individual ones).

It is interesting how the majority of the same team who were so ruthless and efficient at a sold out Wembley are now part of a team who look devoid of belief and confidence.

But then you can''t make people take psychological classes, unless they believe they need it then it simply won''t go in.

Theres certainly a few on this forum who could do with a check up from the neck up.[:)]

[quote user="canarydan23"]Good contribution morty. After all, the thread had stayed on topic for over a full page. Can''t have that now can we?![/quote]Cheers, you''re welcome.[Y]

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]There are plenty of players at clubs that don''t feel they need to speak to someone about their performances. Bradley Wiggins always said he didn''t need any help from a very well regarded psychologist and he seemed to do ok on his own.[/quote]While that''s no doubt true FF, sports psychology is not just about individuals. The psychology of a group is critical to achieving a whole greater than the sum of its parts.

It''s pretty arrogant of our guys if they think they are doing well either as group or as individuals.

If you can see that you need to be be constantly working to improve as a pro sportsman then you''re stuffed.