Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Ben Godfrey

From all accounts he acquitted himself well at Southampton and against some Premiership players.

His reward seems to be a demotion on loan, although AN has admitted that the player had already played plenty of first team games before we signed him.

We are currently short of central midfielders, which we have belatedly decided is his best position, so what message does this give the young player?

Is there some kind of doubt about him, or are we unable to make up our minds, or else seem to have a block in our minds about playing youngsters. Dare I say that Maddison runs the same risk?

[quote user="Salopian"]From all accounts he acquitted himself well at Southampton and against some Premiership players.

His reward seems to be a demotion on loan, although AN has admitted that the player had already played plenty of first team games before we signed him.

We are currently short of central midfielders, which we have belatedly decided is his best position, so what message does this give the young player?

Is there some kind of doubt about him, or are we unable to make up our minds, or else seem to have a block in our minds about playing youngsters. Dare I say that Maddison runs the same risk?[/quote]Why is it a demotion?I believe the article mentioned there was a caveat of "depending on injuries" so I assume that means we won''t just chuck him out on loan willy-nilly.The loan spells did the Murphys good.

In fairness I think the club sees him as a centre back who can also play right back if needed. I think he is rated very highly.

I do tend to agree though its a shame to see him go out on loan as there will probably be opportunities to give him first team run outs here later in the season if the playoffs become out of reach. I would like to see that if we end up in that position. Chuck him in at centre back next to Klose or Martin and see how he gets on.

Neil doesn''t half contradict himself sometimes. If the lad has the physique and has proven he can play against premier league quality players then surely that suggests he is ready to contribute to our cause now rather then be shipped out on loan to the lower leagues.

I think Morty makes a good point re the Murphy''s loans supporting their development - particularly in the case of Jacob.

My perspective (and I don''t want to sound too downbeat) is that this season looks unlikely to result in a promotion charge or a relegation fight. Therefore I concur with some posters that it would be a good time to play a Godfrey, Thompson, Maddison to start to bring them through and embed them in the team. Clearly not all of them at the same time but the opportunity does appear to be there to bed them in.

PS Hope I''m wrong about the promotion charge!

I think realistically this season is a write-off - there''s a chance we could go on an unexpected run of form and get into the play offs but I can''t see where that will come from. Constant injuries and suspensions are making it really difficult to get any form of consistency, so I can''t really understand why he would be sent out on loan.

That said, I think the future is very bright - once we offload our "quality" players we have a lot of very talented and experienced younger guys, who should have passion and desire to win matches, which is a far cry from a few seasons ago.

[quote user="Ian"]I think realistically this season is a write-off - there''s a chance we could go on an unexpected run of form and get into the play offs but I can''t see where that will come from. Constant injuries and suspensions are making it really difficult to get any form of consistency, so I can''t really understand why he would be sent out on loan.

That said, I think the future is very bright - once we offload our "quality" players we have a lot of very talented and experienced younger guys, who should have passion and desire to win matches, which is a far cry from a few seasons ago.[/quote][Y]

"PS Hope I''m wrong about the promotion charge!"

It will need to start with victories in the two up-coming consecutive home games.

We can but dream that AN will suddenly turn things around and get the squad to perform to it''s potential.

For one reason or another he has hitherto failed miserably to the extent that it seems most of the support wants him gone.

These two games should represent his last chance, IMO, but our board seem blinkered.

[quote user="Big O"]I think Morty makes a good point re the Murphy''s loans supporting their development - particularly in the case of Jacob.

My perspective (and I don''t want to sound too downbeat) is that this season looks unlikely to result in a promotion charge or a relegation fight. Therefore I concur with some posters that it would be a good time to play a Godfrey, Thompson, Maddison to start to bring them through and embed them in the team. Clearly not all of them at the same time but the opportunity does appear to be there to bed them in.

PS Hope I''m wrong about the promotion charge![/quote]

This is very much my thinking. I would from now on have 2 younger players at least on the bench each match. However it seems our manager is reluctant to trust any of them even when you have 7 subs. Makes you wonder if we had signed Deli Ali, would he have been given a chance.

How did we go from talking about a young prospect maybe going on loan to slagging the board off?

Because whenever things aren''t going well there always has to be someone to blame?

Re: Godfrey.

Surprised really.

I would say he''s ready for the squad now, but a loan and regular games won''t harm his progress or our prospects for the season. Which are, as stated above, that we are most likely to fall a few places short of a play-off spot.

Disappointing.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Re: Godfrey.

Surprised really.

I would say he''s ready for the squad now, but a loan and regular games won''t harm his progress or our prospects for the season. Which are, as stated above, that we are most likely to fall a few places short of a play-off spot.

Disappointing.[/quote]What are you basing "he''s ready for the squad now" on, just out of interest?

He was singled out by the commentary on Wednesday as being one of our brightest performers and against players in a PL squad.

Besides AN has stated as much:-

“He is certainly capable of playing first team football. He had played first team football before we signed him and that is what put him on our radar and if you look at his physique he is a proper man. He is only 19 and he is a proper athlete."

In general terms, I would like us to start using these one of these promising teens. Other clubs do and it seems to bring them on a lot, to their and our own squad''s benefit.

Godfrey seems to be the top prospect in this respect.

[quote user="morty"]How did we go from talking about a young prospect maybe going on loan to slagging the board off?

[/quote]

My source tells me that Nephew Tom is currently arranging his demotion rest of season loan.That is a real FACT!

There was a lot of moaning about Maddison being loaned to Aberdeen at the start of the season. Is anybody now of the opinion that he didn''t benefit enormously from it? Does anybody now think it would have been better for Maddison if he hadn''t been loaned out?

he is a very talented 19 year old player who made 12 appearances in league two and a couple of one off games for us.

Yes he acquitted himself well on those occasions but it is easy to raise yourself for one off games, compared to delivering week in week out.

Who wouldnt think he would benefit for making regular starts at the right league one club rather than maybe one or two for us this season . As others have mentioned the murphys benefited and if godfrey does then so will we.

Re Maddison being loaned, we don''t know if he''s benefited because he hasn''t played for us yet. He did play in an u23 game last week & to my untrained eye was exactly the same as he was before the loan spell. I still hope (vain) that he will not return to Aberdeen & will be used in the Championship during the rest of the season.

Genuine question re Godfrey- does anyone know his best position? I''ve seen him at right back and central midfield, someone on here mentioned centre back, he was listed as a midfielder when we signed him.

Any idea?

[quote user="king canary"]Genuine question re Godfrey- does anyone know his best position? I''ve seen him at right back and central midfield, someone on here mentioned centre back, he was listed as a midfielder when we signed him.

Any idea?[/quote] "I don’t think centre midfield is his best position, which is why it was

so pleasing to see him put in that performance. His discipline and

ability to fill holes was pleasing but for me his best position is right

centre back. That is where he has operated for the most part in the

development side. That is where he will go on and have a career." (AN in the EDP article which prompted this thread.

Cheers, didn''t read that!

Versatility is an asset though- I''d like to see us keep him here at least until Thompson, Howson or Dorrans are fit.

If the first team is not doing the business like most of ours then why not play these younger players

if Godfrey can play well in the cup against Southampton i am sure he could play against Rotherham

I''d like the likes of Mr Godfrey getting more of an opportunity in the first team here rather than elsewhere. He can not do any worse than some of our more experienced players.

Of course the bonus with Godfrey is that his sister Dolly makes excellent upside down cakes.

Someone suggested having a couple of the youngsters ( i dont include the Murphys or Canos as ''''youngsters'''') on the bench for the remainder of the season, a good idea.

If the playoffs become a mathematical impossibilty, then Godfrey, Maddison et al should play as much as possible in prep for next season. Once our results are pretty much irrelevant then a new, younger team should be formed, and trusted, even if its not an immediate success.

Oh, and Wes should become a Coach/player to keep him interested, so he doesnt leave for pastures new. Properly handled there''s no reason why he cant play for a couple of more years, particularly if we dont go up. his class is invaluable at this level.

I believe that going out on loan is a vital part of a young players education......if Godfrey is going to have three or four senior players ahead of him in the pecking order for the rest of the season then it makes perfect sense for him to go elsewhere and play regularly.

100% agree Gordo, competitive football is essential for Player development. Plus the different environment is a useful experience.The one caveat i would have though is that if a loan player is not being used when fit, we should recall them immediately.If they''re going to kick their heels, they should do it at Norwich.

I''m inclined to think that the smaller the squad AN has at his disposal the better we will do.

Less tinkering for a start. Settled tactics for a second.

Godfrey is a difficult one. Should he be drafted into the playing squad or should he spend the rest of the season on loan and play weekly as a consequence?

The latter is the sensible option, but there''s an outside chance that he might be the catalyst to ignite our squad.

Neil has stated that he thinks he is ready after all.

Loan him out and be expecting good things next season.