Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Wolves

Cold and fairly dull on the way up to the match today and mostly the conversation was about Trump rather than the match in hand. In any event we concluded that we would likely see the season out before Armageddon arrived. Whether AN would do the same was another matter entirely.The opening ten minutes were a total non event with play constricted in the 20 yards either side of the halfway line. Misplaced passes, scrappy play and constant bouts of head tennis pretty much sums it up. Then on 12 minutes and out of the blue, or should I say grey, there was a sublime moment. Johnny Howson carried Wes''s pass into space and a rocket of a shot from fully 30 yards beat the keeper all ends up only to come back off the underside of the bar. The ball bounced over Jerome but fell nicely for Naisy who stroked the ball into the corner first time from 15 yards. I dread to think what might have happened had City not scored the first goal but AN must have been giving thanks under his breath.Wolves then opened up a bit and it got a trifle worrisome when City allowed them a fair bit of possession. There were also a few nervous moments when the City back line looked hesitant and uncertain and bearing in mind what has happened so far this season it was no surprise that the crowd were nervous. When City did spring forward they looked quite dangerous but Jerome skied badly high and wide when Murphy''s pass found him in space in the area. Then a lovely move between Wes and Naisy left Howson with a chance from 6 yards only for the Wolves keeper to pull off a fine reaction save. Then Howson had to show his defensive skills when Wolves had two spare men as a City attack broke down and only a brilliant interception  prevented a clear chance. City were looking pretty at times with Wes at the heart of everything but it was very sporadic and not sustained. With 5 minutes left in the half City might have gone two ahead when Murphy was foiled by a desperate block, then Ikeme only just beat Naisy to the ball as he chased down a weak back pass.It was a deserved lead at the half on chances alone but there had been long periods when it reminded you of unconvincing games earlier in the season. Thankfully they came out for the second half in much better style and for a ten minute period a goal looked possible at any moment. Murphy was hauled down inches from the 18 yard line and somehow the free kick whizzed past everyone in the box. Wes was at the top of his game and only desperate Wolves defending kept him at bay when he combined beautifully with Naisy. The City broke three on two and Jerome seemed to have done all the hard work when he checked back and rifled a twenty yarder past Ikeme only for the ball to hit the inside of the post and bounce to safety across the goalmouth  The game should have been nailed at this stage but all those old familiar failings came back to haunt us as a rare break by the visitors resulted in a penalty as Docherty and Pinto clashed on the City bye line. At a hundred yards away I couldn''t judge but the ref seemed certain and when the ball hit the net we were back to all square. It was hugely disappointing and for the next ten minutes the game opened up and could have gone either way.Eventually City regained the upper hand and when Wolves failed to clear a free kick there was a right old scramble as Wes picked up a loose ball 8 yards out. He rode several challenges before going down for what looked like a clear penalty and once again Ref Coote had not doubts and pointed to the spot. Unfortunately for Wolves it didn''t end there as Ikeme completely lost his rag and floored Wes during an ugly melee. It was an obvious red and when the ref had sorted things we realised that Wolves had used all three subs so the left back had to don the gloves and jersey.There were several minutes wait before Brady could step up as another Wolves player and Wes were booked for their parts in the affair and then they couldn''t find the bloomin ball!!!!! On top of all this my son whispered to me that we would probably miss the kick after the long delay. Thankfully Brady didn''t hear him and rapped the ball powerfully to the keepers left for 2-1.From then it was all City with Wolves surviving by the skin of their teeth. Wes went off with ten minutes left to rapturous applause after another masterclass and was replaced by Pritchard, Then the Murphy''s were swapped and Laffers came on for Jerome. With time running out Laffers won a corner and although it was headed clear Howson caught it nicely and volleyed in the third via a deflection to put a proper reflection on the balance of play.So AN lives on and if only the lads can get some sort of consistency he might still be here at seasons end leading us into the playoffs.MOM, it can only be one man.and it was a privilege to see him in his pomp today.

Yes Ricardo, he remains a joy to watch when on form! Dunno if it was a pen either... I didn''t think much of wolves though, very average team...but we haven''t been setting the world alight the last few months have we ? :-) always a fan , so happy with the points...but still feel the same about AN ...he should have been a gonner

Great report as always.

Wolves were pretty dire, and we should have ripped them apart. that we didn''t typifies our season.

I see the problem as twofold.

1. We are trying to play Premiership football in the Championship.

2. We have no midfield. Today we had 7 at the back and then a long way up the field there was another 4 players.

We were at our most threatening when someone ran through the midfield space with the ball.

Usually agree with your reports but really didn''t think Wes was all that today. Loads of misplaced passes and he totally botched the three on one counter we had at 1-0 (although Jerome did brilliantly to make a chance out of it).

Cheers Ricardo.

Yes, early part of second half we were playing very well and their goal seemed like one of those devestating kicks in the teeth.

The three on one /two was very poorly executed, yes Cams was unlucky but all our guys ran together and nobody went wide.

But an excellent win and one that on another day would have seen jubilant rejoicing at the Carra, well done one and all.

I''m so sorry, but what do you mean by playing premiership football? Losing? I mean we didn''t exactly play much football in the premiership last season, just tried to defend!

Anyhow not having a go just made me laugh, goo report and a very subdued atmosphere, even when we scored it was more like polite applause then the normal roar taking the lead!

The difference today between two ver poor teams was the brilliant Howson and the sublime Wes, the rest of the players on that pitch not in the same league.

I loved their right back, he was like a giraffe on ice!

Hoola Han Solo wrote the following post at 21/01/2017 7:17 PM:

Wolves fan have been ripping into Wes on social media - what did he allegedly do? I couldn''t see what was going on in that melee from the South Stand.

If Wolves fans could see it they must have been in front row of RIver End

[quote user="king canary"]Usually agree with your reports but really didn''t think Wes was all that today. Loads of misplaced passes and he totally botched the three on one counter we had at 1-0 (although Jerome did brilliantly to make a chance out of it).[/quote]

Agree with that chance. Jerome did well & was unlucky to hit the post, but all Wes had to do was simply roll the call to his left and Jerome is 1on1 with the keeper

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="king canary"]Usually agree with your reports but really didn''t think Wes was all that today. Loads of misplaced passes and he totally botched the three on one counter we had at 1-0 (although Jerome did brilliantly to make a chance out of it).[/quote]

Agree with that chance. Jerome did well & was unlucky to hit the post, but all Wes had to do was simply roll the call to his left and Jerome is 1on1 with the keeper[/quote]

I''ve just watched the replay and Wes''s pass deflected off the defenders shin. Jerome actually did well to make something out of it.

Agree with Ricardo "as with many earlier games in the season we looked unconvincing". We just do not seem to play as a cohesive unit. Its all a bit scrappy, with numerous misplaced passes. Individually we were a class above Wolves but as stated elsewhere once again we never seemed to have much control of the midfield. This is partly due to Tettey playing very defensive as if Neill does not entirely trust his two central defenders. I also notice many opponents play the ball in the air a lot nullifying our "smaller footballers". At the moment the atmosphere of the home support is very muted, clearly confirming they are all "unconvinced". To be honest I find it difficult to name a MOM. I thought it was an average game for Wes.

''And they couldn''t find the bloomin'' ball!!''

If the linesman had his eyes open, it was 5 yards away from him while he was standing in the penalty area, tucked next to the advertising hoarding.

Bizarre booking for Wes, pushed over by the keeper, then surrounded and jostled by 2 or 3 others. I''ve watched the Sky highlights again and he doesn''t respond to any of the provocation.

I agree with others who said Howson for MoM, though I thought Jerome put in an incredible shift today and deserved a goal.

Howson mom by a mile. Jerome poor again, one brilliant shot, lots of poor control, Oliveira links much better and encourages more balls along the ground. Tettey really needs replacing, distribution terrible and too slow genèrally.

Howson had a very decent game and two or three spectacular moments. Wes however was at the centre of everything good from City and Wolves couldn''t handle him. The win was largely due to this fact IMO.

We all see different games.

Howson, Naismith and Hoolahan were the pick.

But Howson edges it for his contribution in both halves of the pitch.

Naismith for me. Not much between Hoolahan and Howson also though.And I don''t think there was anything lacklustre about the display either. The penalty for them was questionable, and they rarely threatened our goal apart from it.

[quote user="morty"]Naismith for me. Not much between Hoolahan and Howson also though.And I don''t think there was anything lacklustre about the display either. The penalty for them was questionable, and they rarely threatened our goal apart from it.[/quote]The crowd was so lacklustre that the display seemed that way too.

howson back to his best and two good efforts for goals but I thought wes was the key and very incisive just shading a very solid Klose at the back for my top 3

a comment to me was that it was a roman crowd arriving in the expectation of an emporial thumbs down, but that never looked like happening.

[quote user="ZLF"]

a comment to me was that it was a roman crowd arriving in the expectation of an emporial thumbs down, but that never looked like happening.[/quote]

Lol. Seems like a good analogy.  The gladiator lives on!  And so he should.  Four wins out of five at home prove he and the players are up for the fight.   Just need to sort out the away form......

Only listened on Canaryworld so grateful for Dickie from Portugal''s report.

Chris Goreham and Cedric Anselin''s commentary more or less echoed the report.

I know radio etc filters noise out but it did sound awfully subdued yesterday. I expected to here a bit more noise than that during a game that many different scenarios depending on the result.

Sounded just about noisy enough not to drown out the sighs of relief.