Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Rowett waiting for Norwich job

Only until the promotion chance has gone.Alan Nixon, the Sun, who did get the Oliveira deal correct.So has Rowett been contacted already?

[quote user="dibbler"]Only until the promotion chance has gone.Alan Nixon, the Sun, who did get the Oliveira deal correct.So has Rowett been contacted already?[/quote]I hope it is true that we have Rowett as our first choice if etc etc etc. Under difficult circumstances at Birmingham he did an excellent job. There was always a chance Moxey, with his Midlands background, would have contacted him. That he has missed out on two lower-ranking Premier League jobs (Swansea and Hull) might have convinced him he needs to aim for a Championship club. With any luck he is willing to wait, and possibly until the summer, to see what is available.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Number9"]Rowett is not the answer, his man management and style of play are not what we need.[/quote]

I''m not sure tbh, but look how brum have fallen since he left.[/quote]

That''s because Zola is cack, not that Rowett is brilliant.

[quote user="Number 9"]If you research what the Birmingham supporters say it may surprise you.[/quote]No, it wouldn''t surprise me, because I do my research. I did it months ago, before Rowett was sacked, and again when he was sacked. But I suspect if I looked again now (with his replacement not having won a single game) some of those who were anti may have started to realise what a good job he did under difficult circumstances.Yes, there were some fans who disliked the style of play, and didn''t rate some of his signings, but they were almost certainly not factoring in the financial constraints. And the reporters on the Birmingham Mail were apoplectic over the sacking. They rated Rowett highly on pretty much every level. If he came to Carrow Road, with a talented, under-performing squad, and still some money to spend, I believe he would do very well.

Is Rowett any better than AN though?   My money is on AN. Two promotions in his cv and just seen off a job threatening bad spell with four home wins out of five to keep his team in contention of the play offs.  Room for improvement still of course, but you have to have faith in people sometimes. 

Number9 wrote the following post at 2017-01-22 4:55 PM:

Rowett is not the answer, his man management and style of play are not what we need.

So what is? Please quantify.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Is Rowett any better than AN though?   My money is on AN. Two promotions in his cv and just seen off a job threatening bad spell with four home wins out of five to keep his team in contention of the play offs.  Room for improvement still of course, but you have to have faith in people sometimes. 

[/quote]

No way LDC. AN should have been sacked weeks ago.

AN has failed this season. Too much has gone on now, he''ll never win the majority back. There will always be doubts with him, even if the team sticks a run togtherer, as soon as that run ends the questions will be asked again.

That''s just football. Managers have short shelf lives.

''seen off a bad spell...''

Are you being serious?

Yes we''ve won for of our last five home games. We''ve also taken one point from our last five away games. He''s seen off nothing.

I am sure Norwich United are flattered.

When we replace AN i hope it is with a better candidate than Rowett.

For me Rowett has a limited repetoire with an agricultural style of play from enthusiastic work horses that would better suit the Sh!tland Ponies rather than ourselves and precious little evidence that he will be any better than AN in managing larger resources or bigger egos

[quote user="king canary"]''seen off a bad spell...''

Are you being serious?

Yes we''ve won for of our last five home games. We''ve also taken one point from our last five away games. He''s seen off nothing.[/quote]

Home form is the foundation of any club''s season so four out of five wins is pretty good by anyone''s standards. Away form needs to improve but will improve - probably  on the strength of confidence built from the home form.  Things are on the up.

We''ve taken 13 points from the last 10 games (home and away, they both count strangely enough...). That is midtable form at best. We''ve still not won back to back games since September. He needs to put together a solid run of form (again home AND away) before he can claim to have seen off anything.

[quote user="king canary"]We''ve taken 13 points from the last 10 games (home and away, they both count strangely enough...). That is midtable form at best. We''ve still not won back to back games since September. He needs to put together a solid run of form (again home AND away) before he can claim to have seen off anything.[/quote]Fair enough, but things are looking a bit more positive.  To have withstood the pressure of the situation - which was getting ever greater - with two good home wins speaks volumes for the manager and the players.  The away form is something else, but you have to start improving somewhere - and CR is the best place to start doing it.

Based on what will it improve LDC?

Best performance of the season against Derby and a genuine feeling that a corner had been turned, what followed was one of the worst performances in our easiest away fixture! If we continue to win at home and lose away we''re right on course for where we''ll end up, that''s simply not good enough form to challenge for the play offs.

How many false dawns is it going to take before it finally clicks for you?

AN is not the man for the job, he is not getting anywhere near the best from this team. I''d go as far as saying that ANY championship manager would be able to get more than Neil is right now - a dead cat bounce could easily see a squad as strong as ours into the play offs.

It has been painfully obvious for weeks now just how much these players need a clean slate and a new face to compete for.

I understand you take this view because you want to get behind him and show some positivity, but I find it hard to believe that you genuinely feel as you convey and are not simply trying to put a positive skew on things. I can assure you that, under this manager, no amount of support is going to get this team performing consistently on the level we know it can.

If anything, games like Derby have only served to prove how much of a missed opportunity this season has been.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Based on what will it improve LDC?

Best performance of the season against Derby and a genuine feeling that a corner had been turned, what followed was one of the worst performances in our easiest away fixture! If we continue to win at home and lose away we''re right on course for where we''ll end up, that''s simply not good enough form to challenge for the play offs.

How many false dawns is it going to take before it finally clicks for you?

AN is not the man for the job, he is not getting anywhere near the best from this team. I''d go as far as saying that ANY championship manager would be able to get more than Neil is right now - a dead cat bounce could easily see a squad as strong as ours into the play offs.

It has been painfully obvious for weeks now just how much these players need a clean slate and a new face to compete for.

I understand you take this view because you want to get behind him and show some positivity, but I find it hard to believe that you genuinely feel as you convey and are not simply trying to put a positive skew on things. I can assure you that, under this manager, no amount of support is going to get this team performing consistently on the level we know it can.

If anything, games like Derby have only served to prove how much of a missed opportunity this season has been.[/quote]

After a bad run, things have to start improving somewhere, somehow.  Home is the place to do it - and that is happening - away may be more difficut to turn round, but surely people can see that confidence  built from home form can eventually spill across into away matches?  It was never going to be like turning a switch and everything would be wonderful all of a sudden, home and away. The Rotherham game was a bit of a let down, but the previous away game at Brentford was improved.  Home form is the key to any team''s success - away form has to improve too of course, but Rome wasn''t built in a day! 

Last time I checked we still had a manager. No point obsessing over replacements until that changes and I have a feeling it won''t be soon.

I would dispute that Rotherham away was a terrible performance. Yes, a terrible result but if Oliveira had stayed on the pitch we would probably have won as we outplayed them with 10 men. You cannot point the finger at AN for a sending off.

Red Rufus wrote;

I would dispute that Rotherham away was a terrible performance. Yes, a terrible result but if Oliveira had stayed on the pitch we would probably have won as we outplayed them with 10 men. You cannot point the finger at AN for a sending off.

I have no intention of living in the past, but if you believe that you are deluded, we were pants that day, yes we played better after the sending off, but we did not deserve anymore than we got from that one.

Regardless of results, performances and what league we are in Neil is here for the very long term so get used to it.I think there''s more chance Rowett will end up at Ipswich to be honest.

@Syteanric

This is the second or third time I''ve seen you claim Rowett was only good for a short period- it is still bollocks.

He took them from a club on the verge of relegation to a club regularly challenging for the playoffs with no budget and some pretty average players. He did a fantastic job in his entire time there and since he''s left they''ve nosedived.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Is Rowett any better than AN though?   My money is on AN. Two promotions in his cv and just seen off a job threatening bad spell with four home wins out of five to keep his team in contention of the play offs.  Room for improvement still of course, but you have to have faith in people sometimes. 

[/quote]Nice spin!

It''s now abundantly clear that AN is going to be here for the rest of the season and at least the start of next season, unless we slip into a relegation battle this season, which isn''t going to happen.

Delia and Michael clearly feel a strong affinity towards him and it''s almost a parental style relationship between them. They brought him down from Scotland at 33 years old and he''s almost like a son to them, particularly as they don''t have children of their own and the football club has been an enormous part of their lives for the last 20 years.

For those reasons, Rowett will be waiting a very long time to have stab at managing Norwich. Whether you think that decision is right or wrong is another debate altogether.