Sign in to follow this  
Sussexyellow

"Do Nothing" is always an option

Professionally it was always expected that "do nothing" be included when evaluating options. So why, when Norwich fans were seeing the need for a change in manager as verging on the obvious, did the board opt for do nothing. Well playing devil''s advocate the arguments possibly go something like this.

The wealth of managerial talent in the division is unprecedented. Benitez, McClaren, Hughton, Bruce, Lambert, Stam, Carvalhal, Wagner, Monk plus some canny campaigners Grayson, Warnock, Holloway and even McCarthy. If promotion is the criteria for success most will fail. Even a champions league winning manager (Di Matteo) with a big transfer budget could not deliver results in this division. Change does not guarantee success because you are up against quality.

The level of wealth of owners in the division is unprecedented. I do not know where we stand in the division''s rich list but probably below halfway. We just do not have the money to back a new manager to create the team he would like. A change could only be in the hope that the incoming manager could get more from the existing squad. In terms of squad development it is going to be evolution not revolution, and in that context the strategy of taking a long term view of managerial stability has merit.

That said the Rotherham reverse must have tested the board''s resolve to stick with "do nothing". The Wolves game probably was faced with some trepidation as it looked like last chance saloon with our former favourite Paul Lambert there to deliver the cruel blow. But it did not go to script.

It was thought that the tactically brilliant Lambert (or was it Culverhouse) would completely outsmart Alex Neil. Well that was not the game I watched.

It was thought that the master man manager and motivator Lambert would have his team playing with greater intensity. Again I did not witness that.

Even if the game was going well for Norwich, Lambert would make astute and aggressive substitutions and turn the game. Well the substitutions came but did not really turn the game. A fair penalty call by the ref almost did but not the substitutions, and we could have been out of sight by then anyway.

Subsequent to the game Wolves have been labelled a poor side. Really! They turned up as a form side. Time perhaps to give credit to Alex Neil and our team for making them look ordinary.

So Alex Neil delivered the required victory and with that he will see out not only this transfer window but also the season - save for a calamitous plummet towards the relegation places.

Where does that leave us fans? Still with a gnawing feeling in the pit of our stomachs that too many poor performances have passed under the bridge for it to be turned round. But on the other hand it is neither fair nor helpful to turn up like a crowd of Romans ready to bay for a thumbs down at the next reverse.

Is it another false dawn? Saturday will be revealing. Beat Brum and we may yet have a chance of making a reasonable fist of this season. It will be tough and defined by our away form, but winning on Saturday will give us a chance and maybe even some vindication of the board''s decision making.

OTBC

Good post, to be honest.

But I was always educated that in life you can do something positive, something negative, or nothing at all. But doing nothing at all is usually the same as doing something negative.

Then again, education has been pretty poor for years.

Assuming the board continually evaluate our position then their decision to stick with the manager is as positive and decisive as changing the manager would be. It would only be a non decision, or doing nothing, if they didn''t consider the options.

Good post. To be fair, at Xmas I called for AN''s head. Then the new year recovery came. Then I called for his head again. It''s been tricky and for the first time since supporting (since 1990) I have questioned my own fickleness. I have thought about the points you have made above and have come to think that maybe it is time to accept we aren''t exactly little old Norwich, but we''re medium old Norwich at best and perhaps with the clout other clubs have in this league, perhaps sticking with a good manager having a bad spell was the best move after all. No fan likes their club on a roller coaster like we''ve had to endure but actually, it''s been quite exciting brushing off the fear now and again.

Superb post but two little things

The only owners in this league poorer than ours are either Rotherham or Burton (I forget, but I''m sure we''re second bottom, I''ve seen that somewhere)

And the financial constraints we find ourselves working in are self imposed remember. They will not entertain investment offers so it''s our choice to try and succeed in this league and get to the PL on a tight budget.

If the situation was the owners don''t want to sell, haven''t had any suitable offers but were open to the possibility of selling only to the right person at the right time if and only if it was for the benefit of the club (Lot''s of conditions, basically, but not totally dismissing the notion) and we had to work under this budget I think everyone would be far more tolerant and supportive of the situation.

You make some great points about why even as a bigger fish in this league it''s tough to even get into the play offs.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Assuming the board continually evaluate our position then their decision to stick with the manager is as positive and decisive as changing the manager would be. It would only be a non decision, or doing nothing, if they didn''t consider the options.[/quote]

I agree Nutty there is a whole world of difference between evaluating a properly argued option to "do nothing" and well just doing nothing.

Like you I would expect our board to be continually evaluating our position.