Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Player fitness a genuine problem? Olsson interview.

Can someone make clicky as I''m on my phone

http://m.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/martin-olsson-i-couldn-t-walk-for-two-days-after-first-swansea-city-training-session/story-30079196-detail/story.html

Apparently Olsson couldn''t walk for two days after Swanseas session.

I know some have said our fitness has been partially to blame for some results and performances so an interesting talking point.

Well looking at Klose on the ground for three minutes at final whistle, there could be a point, not that we need another stick to beat AN with! ;-)

Should we also read more into his statement of "when I heard Swansea were interested I knew there was quality here and I felt they had the right manager" is that a dig at AN?

[quote user="Indy"]Should we also read more into his statement of "when I heard Swansea were interested I knew there was quality here and I felt they had the right manager" is that a dig at AN?[/quote]If you want it to be[Y]

Nah, he''s got enough shite at the moment, just a bit of an unusual thing to say!

It''s not unusual in any way Indy. Players going to a new club always say nice things about the club they''re going to - the players at that club, the manager etc. Its normally about as genuine as badge kissing.

Yes that''s true, just the phrase right manager, which all that''s going on here made me think it might be a dig, nothing in it fair enough.

To be honest I highly doubt fitness is an issue although it''s not impossible.

But from a managers point of view the one thing they can do is make the players work on the training field and the one thing you would definitely say about AN is he''s unlikely to be soft in that area!

From when he signed for Swansea -

''“I like the way he trains – it is intense – and I can’t wait to start working with him.''

He certainly wasn''t wrong then!.

[quote user="hogesar"]

Apparently Olsson couldn''t walk for two days after Swanseas session.

I know some have said our fitness has been partially to blame for some results and performances so an interesting talking point.[/quote]

Maybe he was just trying extra hard as he was at a new club.  That is what players going to a new club do - or at least you hope they would do.

I think most people would expect fitness levels to be higher in a higher division. Its probably just a bit of throwaway newspaper column filler.Telling the Swansea fans what they want to hear, ie everyone is working really hard to avoid relegation.

Also with less games in the season, you can push players that bit harder, as they will have more recovery time between games.Theres only so hard you can train players, without adequate rest you are far more prone to injury.

Think it was more a comment aimed at pleasing his new club and supporters at they are moving in the right direction. Also AN has often made new signings wait until their fitness is up to speed, in Oliveria''s case felt like months. Sure there may be a small step up, but equally cant believe we have slowed or eased up on our training regime?.

Two things that might mean that training hard doesn''t always work out;

1) Swansea''s League Position

2) Swansea injuries - they currently have 7 injured players (according to Physio Room), 4 of which are confirmed as muscular injuries.

[quote user="morty"]I think most people would expect fitness levels to be higher in a higher division. Its probably just a bit of throwaway newspaper column filler.Telling the Swansea fans what they want to hear, ie everyone is working really hard to avoid relegation.

[/quote]

This is not another dig at Neil but your comment above raises an interesting point. Neil himself said something similar in an interview recently before the Cup game, along the lines that the players approach games in the premier league with more intensity.

Does it not beg the question why?

Why should the same group of players be less fit for a championship campaign or approach games with any less intensity. It almost suggests that they are not going flat out in games at tis level and perhaps hints at one of the problems we''ve been having this year. For be they should be just as fit, if not fitter this season which is more of a physical challenge. We have better players than most teams at this level and better players putting in 100% effort and intensity are likely to win more often than not.

I would concur Jim, is it any coincidence that Newcastle''s players usually win each week and also coincidentally look more up for it?

There''s no doubt our intensity under Lambert meant we were playing above our means, and aside of course having a few key talented players, our work ethic and intensity are the reasons we got two promotions and successfully stayed up under his leadership.

We''ve played good football at times under AN, but there''s no doubt the intensity has gone missing in a lot of games which coinciceded with that terrible run of games...

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="morty"]I think most people would expect fitness levels to be higher in a higher division. Its probably just a bit of throwaway newspaper column filler.Telling the Swansea fans what they want to hear, ie everyone is working really hard to avoid relegation.

[/quote]

This is not another dig at Neil but your comment above raises an interesting point. Neil himself said something similar in an interview recently before the Cup game, along the lines that the players approach games in the premier league with more intensity.

Does it not beg the question why?

Why should the same group of players be less fit for a championship campaign or approach games with any less intensity. It almost suggests that they are not going flat out in games at tis level and perhaps hints at one of the problems we''ve been having this year. For be they should be just as fit, if not fitter this season which is more of a physical challenge. We have better players than most teams at this level and better players putting in 100% effort and intensity are likely to win more often than not.[/quote]Of course it is Jim[:)]Read my post at the top of this page, it answers your question.

Base fitness is built pre-season. The fitter they can get the squad pre-season the better. Fitter players can play at a higher intensity, train harder and RECOVER quicker. With more games the players need to start off with a higher level of fitness in order to avoid injuries.

There is no club out there who will deliberately not get their players as fit as they possibly can. The difference is in the level of fitness their conditioning team can get their players too. The top clubs have the fittest players as they have larger departments of sports scientists dedicated to fitness and conditioning. I would hazard a guess that ours is not up there with the best anymore.

A pretty simple explanation.

Norwich implement a fitness regime they believe gets the players as fit as possible for football, with techniques and excercices they believe are specific for football. Over a period of time the players bodies adapt to the training regime and their fitness levels improve with the adaptation. The bodies become as efficient as possible at dealing with the regime, and as a result their recovery times get shorter as the body stresses less.

A new club, a new training regime. I can pretty much guarantee no club has the same regime as each believe to have found the most specific and efficient techniques. With new types of excercise, the body needs to re-adapt, as the muscles are worked in a different way. Some times the adaption is small, but it still stresses the muscles differently. This stress, results in Muscle soreness. Often In the form of DOMS.

This is most certainly the case with Olsson.