Sign in to follow this  
GJD

Most welcoming and intimadating grounds you have been to?

Following on from the Millwall post about being best away fans at the Millennium stadium which surprised me.  I thought I would start a thread along similar lines.

Basically what''s the most intimidating ground you have been two and which was the most welcoming?

For me I have been to about 33 grounds now and I would have the following two.

Most intimidating – Wolves and I did not go to the playoff game, which I hear was most interesting!

Most welcoming – Crewe, especially the last visit. I did nearly get thrown out of the home section for celebrating our first goal a little to heartily, but the head steward let it pass and the fans around were a great bunch all game, plus great scenes on the pitch afterwards. Happy days!

I have been spat at and had stones thrown at me at Elland Road but I prefer not to dwell on that and tell you about the positive experience I had at Bournemouth. I was with my friend Keith who is in a wheelchair and as there was no designated disabled area we had to watch the match from the touchline. Thre had been heavy showers all day and these continued into the match. The roof didnt extend out far enough to cover us so it looked like we were in for a soaking. One of the stewards without being asked suddenly appeared with two umbrellas for us. Then at half time he went and got us hot drinks and wouldnt take money for them. I have been to several grounds with Keith over the years but never been treated as well as this. Top club

Worst - the Old Den, Elland Road and that walk from the tube to West Ham when it was a night game...

Most welcoming - Crewe are great, also having been one of about 3 City fans in the Spurs home fans end, I can safely say that the banter was great and I felt completely at ease...

most intimidating (in recent history) has to be molineux, i did go to the play off semi and it was pretty scary, especially for my son (19) who had never seen anything like that place, of course for an old person like me who went to football in the 70s it just seemed like stepping back in time

most welcoming, lots and lots, recently fulham (we sat in the home end for the last game of last season and they were great), barnsley, walsall, tranmere, QPR, to many to mention really - sunderland and newcastle are always v welcoming

[quote]The two times I''ve been to Millwall have been a bit intimidating. Probably the only ground in the entire football league I wouldn''t go to is Cardiff. That would be scary[/quote]

hi DD

yes, cardiff is scary, have been now and won''t repeat it, though not as bad as wolves due to huge police presence - it was one of our glorious away performances too, which didn''t help!!

I never made it over to the old Den and it did sound a place that you kept your mouth shut when out in the streets, but the new one was OK. Fair enough they had just beaten us 4-0 on the opening day, so the locals should have been happy!

Went to West Ham last year and the walk down from Strafford station we passed some of the most unappealing pubs in London. However around the ground was OK, but might not have felt the same in the mid-80''s.

Was looking forward to Leeds this year, since I have not been to the ground, but maybe not so much now. Also planning to go to Cardiff, since the it''s another one to tick off on the list.

Always had fun at the two Sheffield clubs and every Yorkshire club apart from Barnsley funnily enough where I seemed to remember some of the Burberry clad locals inviting us to dance on the pitch afterwards. Still they had just been relegated the poor dears.

Glad to here that Bournemouth treated you so well Kathy. It does make a difference to one memories.

The old Millwall ground on Cold Blow Lane, aptly named, chill down spine stuff.

Me and my mate had to put on London accents in the ground, in the days before crowd segregation.

i went to Millwall when we got promoted, the year Muscat got sent off for taking out Crouchy off the ball.... it wasnt that bad and there was a rather attractive young lady serving pints in the away end .. which made the day all the more worth while!

Friendliest ground was probably the Hawthornes, good stewards and police and the staff who work there are friendly too... also, their fans are top notch, we got chatting to a bunch of them who even walked us all the way up the away turnstyles.. fantastic fans and much as i dislike RObson i wish them all the best

Worst has to be St Andrews last season, we drew and they wanted a fight! god knows what would of happened had we of won... i dont care what anyone says about the playoff final.. had we of won that day they would of murdered us.

Most intimidating - probably Carrow Road in the early 70s after we won promotion and before they put fences up in the Barclay - the running battles with the likes of Chelsea in the League Cup semis in 1973 and Man U in a league match in 1972 are etched in my memory. The Old Den was certainly fairly ferocious although after they''d kicked s*** out of the Norwich fans there in 1971 I did spend the afternoon chatting with a very friendly Millwall fan. As I recall, they also had a ''nice'' chase you all the way to Liverpool St routine.

Have to say the most welcoming ground i have been to was newcastle last year, and i have been to about 65 grounds following Norwich. 

The worst has to be Wolves, we won there a few years ago 2-1 when Steve Bull got sent off.  It kicked of after the game my mate had a screwdriver pulled on him.

Also Maine Road when the Kippax was terracing you had to walk past there as you were stuck at the platt lane end sitting on wooden benches.  It could get lively after the game even if Man City had won.

Never had any trouble at Millwall, Chelsea, Leeds or Man United, one of the worst has to be a trip to Birmingham again when they had the massive terracing going round two sides of the ground.  This was about 15 years ago and have never worn a shirt since.