Sign in to follow this  
 chaywa

Palace £9m for Brady

According to the Guardian''s live transfer blog page:

"It’s all happening. Palace have now agreed a £9m fee for Norwich City’s Robbie Brady.

Crystal Palace have agreed a deal worth an initial 9m with Norwich City for the Republic of Ireland wing-back Robbie Brady to cast doubt on the south London club’s pursuit of Patrick van Aanholt. The offer for Brady could potentially rise to as high as £12m with appearance and achievement related add-ons, an identical arrangement to that negotiated with sunderland for Van Aanholt earlier this week. The Dutch international had agreed personal terms at Selhurst Park and is understood to have initiated what would be a stringent medical. Yet Palace’s decision to explore a deal for Brady would suggest Sam Allardyce is keeping his options open as to which left-sided defender to sign.

Brady had been expected to move to Burnley. It remains to be seen if Palace also match the Clarets’ £10m offer for Hull City’s Robert Snodgrass. That deal may only be possible if Palace move on one of either Yohan Cabaye or Andros Townsend to Marseille or Newcastle respectively."

I''d hold out for £12m as an upfront fee, but I do wonder if we''ll buckle at £9m - although in todays market it wouldn''t buy us much in needing to buy 2 left backs and a left winger!

[quote user="AJ"]I''d hold out for £12m as an upfront fee, but I do wonder if we''ll buckle at £9m - although in todays market it wouldn''t buy us much in needing to buy 2 left backs and a left winger![/quote]More likely we''ll go with one, with Whittaker as emergency cover this season. With Toffolo for next season.

Or more realistically, we''ll just play Whittaker there with Russ as back-up and sign no-one ;)

[quote user="AJ"]Or more realistically, we''ll just play Whittaker there with Russ as back-up and sign no-one ;)[/quote]Oh you.[:)]

9m pounds seems on the low side.

Some would suggest rising FROM 12m rather than too. The player has a high profile, especially on the international stage, is a good age and excites the interest of a few clubs.

The money will instantly give us further push in the market in order to strengthen our areas of weakness and make a belated push for the play-offs, or at least build up the core of a team for a real push forward next season.

Get the team sorted out now and, along with the youngsters coming through, we might not need much activity in the Summer.

It''s now a question of getting rid of the high-earning deadwood., sooner rather than later.

Personally, I regretted the loss of Nathan Redmond, not so much Robbie Brady.

if the £12 mill add on figure are likely to be activated, i.e just appearance count etc then it''s an alright price.

If it''s 9mill then an extra mill for 20 goals or something stupid then we should definitely hold out.

I wonder how strong our bargaining position is in reality? Redmond''s sale appeared to be that of a gift. Similarly, Brady''s disposal looks to be a steal. Reminders of the Chase years? Possibly. Preparing for league one? Probably. Giving up on promotion? Certainly.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I wonder how strong our bargaining position is in reality? Redmond''s sale appeared to be that of a gift. Similarly, Brady''s disposal looks to be a steal. Reminders of the Chase years? Possibly. Preparing for league one? Probably. Giving up on promotion? Certainly.[/quote]Oh Highland, keep banging that misery drum mate.[:D]

Maybe we are playing clever, and stoking the fire of the bidding war?Don''t rule Hull out.

It is a fair point King, if we were in the Prem we''d have a bit more bargaining power.

I guess it depends on the situation behind the scenes, if we''ve got decent replacements lined up and are waiting on the cash then it makes sense to get it done. Otherwise, I''d hold out for closer to 12 upfront.

Also interest angle Morty, maybe we''re waiting on bigger clubs to actually put a firm offer so have accidentally leaked the fact we are thinking about accepting a bid...

We wouldn''t be that clever though, would we?

Morty is your man for behind the scenes news, he''s in the know, but obviously can''t disclose anything.

Tips hat Mortys way.

[quote user="AJ"]Also interest angle Morty, maybe we''re waiting on bigger clubs to actually put a firm offer so have accidentally leaked the fact we are thinking about accepting a bid...

We wouldn''t be that clever though, would we?[/quote]If True Grit says Moxey checks out, thats good enough for me.[;)]

I don''t think leaking the we''ve accepted a £9m bid would help spark a bidding war? If I was another club I''d then just bid the same £9m...

When you look at some of the absurd fees flung around by Premier League teams this season it doesn''t seem like we''re getting decent value here.

However it hasn''t happened yet so you don''t know what is going to happen.

Congratulation to Morty for breaking the 35K barrier. In your acceptance speech can you please say ''that this award is not just for me but for LDC and more recently Greavsy as well''.

morty

Top 10 Posts

Joined on 27/09/2003

NR1 / The sea.

Posts 35,000

Re: Palace £9m for Brady

AJ wrote:
Also

interest angle Morty, maybe we''re waiting on bigger clubs to actually

put a firm offer so have accidentally leaked the fact we are thinking

about accepting a bid...

We wouldn''t be that clever though, would we?
If True Grit says Moxey checks out, thats good enough for me.Wink [;)]

Decent player Brady and has started to look more the part in my opinion but looks like the Portuguese lad Marvin Zeegelaar maybe the replacement as he can play left back / left wing.

Poor poor price if true given other fees being paid and leaves us woefully short of left sided defenders / midfielders.

Hopefully the changes work but given history doubt it strengthens us. Hope I''m wrong.

@Mike

How are we short of left sided midfielders? Wes and Naismith seem to interchange there currently, we''ve got Josh on the bench and Pritchard can play their too.

The formation we play doesn''t demand an out and out left winger out there and works pretty well with players drifting inside and interchanging.

[quote user="king canary"]@Mike

How are we short of left sided midfielders
? Wes and Naismith seem to interchange there currently, we''ve got Josh on the bench and Pritchard can play their too.

The formation we play doesn''t demand an out and out left winger out there and works pretty well with players drifting inside and interchanging.[/quote]Don''t forget Dorrans...............he can play on the LHS (when fit), so I''m told.[;)]

I really don''t rate him to be honest. But in today''s market that seems to be on the cheap side

Overall, assuming we are fairly certain of ending up with £12 million in due course, I don''t think that''s too bad. Added to the Olsson money we could end up with Zeegelaar and pocket around £13 million.

Taken as a package I think that''s Ok.

If we''d have sold him soon after the Euros - where he was excellent - we''d have got a much better price. His performances have definitely deteriorated since then.