Sign in to follow this  
Mason 47

Mitchell Dijks

[quote user="king canary"]@Morty

It was pretty well covered that Haller came here and decided not to join- something that should have been pretty obvious as he was saying he wouldn''t move without European football being on offer.

''Haller held talks with Alex Neil on a flying visit to Colney earlier this month, but the 21-year-old will not be returning ahead of Monday’s 11pm deadline.''

As mentioned showing ambition is fine but not if it gets in the way of you bringing in other targets. For instance it seems summer of 15 we put al our eggs in the Kouilbaly basket and when we couldn''t convince him to join we ended up without a new centre half.

If Dijks has turned us down but we still bring in Marvin Z then fine.[/quote]"Wouldn''t move without European football being on offer" actually means "I''ll go and have a chat, and if they offer me enough money then sod European football".Do you know that got in the way of bringing in other targets then?

As Morty said, maybe it''s paper spin and it was Neil who didn''t fancy him. Can''t see the agent coming out and saying the other way round, would wound the players pride and damage other interest.

I hate these windows.

@Morty

A quick google has Alderweireld (sp?) being unable to agree personal terms and Kouilbaly not fancying it- his agent said the clubs who they spoke to (us Southampton and Bayer Levekusen) were not on the same level as Napoli.

Again, going in for these sort of targets is fine but you need to have back up plans. The summer we went after Kouibaly we didn''t sign another centre back despite it being a position of need.

Transfer deals seem to get more complicated and difficult by the season.

Trying to sign players from Europe seems to be the most difficult of all.

It is what it is, fell through for one reason or another which happens a fair amount - at least it wasn''t 11pm on the 31st and we can move on to the next target.

[quote user="king canary"]@Morty

A quick google has Alderweireld (sp?) being unable to agree personal terms and Kouilbaly not fancying it- his agent said the clubs who they spoke to (us Southampton and Bayer Levekusen) were not on the same level as Napoli.

Again, going in for these sort of targets is fine but you need to have back up plans. The summer we went after Kouibaly we didn''t sign another centre back despite it being a position of need.[/quote]You''ll never know what made those transfers break down.And anyone can spin it either way they want, we either aren''t showing ambition, or we''re being unrealistic.I would suggest that, perhaps, the board was striving to buy quality and establish us in the Premier league. I''m sure others would see it differently.

norfolkngood wrote:

The fee and wages would have been sorted out before he made the trip over ! no point coming over here and we offer him 5 k a week ! why waste your time flying over unless you were happy with wages so the final details would be sorted out once he came here for talks something put him off what i have no idea

Thats the only sure thing here....

Morty play nice !

you know my inside knowledge is running at 90 % this season you will miss out on the stories !! x

[quote user="norfolkngood"]norfolkngood wrote:

The fee and wages would have been sorted out before he made the trip over ! no point coming over here and we offer him 5 k a week ! why waste your time flying over unless you were happy with wages so the final details would be sorted out once he came here for talks something put him off what i have no idea

Thats the only sure thing here....

Morty play nice !

you know my inside knowledge is running at 90 % this season you will miss out on the stories !! x[/quote]I am playing nice.Did we offer him 5k a week then?

I''d agree they were trying to buy quality- but as I stated you need to have a back up plan at the ready.

Because we spent too much time chasing an unrealistic target in Kouilbaly we ended up without a centre half in the summer and paid the price.

We need to make sure that isn''t the case this season.

[quote user="king canary"]I''d agree they were trying to buy quality- but as I stated you need to have a back up plan at the ready.

Because we spent too much time chasing an unrealistic target in Kouilbaly we ended up without a centre half in the summer and paid the price.

We need to make sure that isn''t the case this season.[/quote]Or maybe consider that they did have a back up plan, that maybe failed also?Lets try and get away from the notion that theres nobody at the club that knows how all this works.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Transfer deals seem to get more complicated and difficult by the season.

Trying to sign players from Europe seems to be the most difficult of all.[/quote]All down to Brexit & the Exchange Rate. No point in getting £50k a week here when it''s only worth £42.5k when you send it back home

Seems to be a recurring theme here.

We identify a player and get the deal to a certain point. Newcastle or Villa suddenly become interested, the deal stalls and the player either moves to one of them or he doesn''t move at all.

I expected this kind of thing to happen on a couple of deals but not almost every bloody one. We all said at the time it was a bad year to be relegated being alongside those two but this takes the pi55 quite frankly.

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]Seems to be a recurring theme here.

We identify a player and get the deal to a certain point. Newcastle or Villa suddenly become interested, the deal stalls and the player either moves to one of them or he doesn''t move at all.

I expected this kind of thing to happen on a couple of deals but not almost every bloody one. We all said at the time it was a bad year to be relegated being alongside those two but this takes the pi55 quite frankly.[/quote]We shop in Lidl, they shop in Waitrose.Its just how it is.Did you see the stats about Villa having the 20th biggest wage bill in world football? I think Mr Financial fair play may be having a word with them, should they fail to go up.

I bloody hate transfer windows!! They can make or break a season ffs, surely they shoudn''t be like this? I understand why they put them in place but there must be a better way.

Have to say I find it a bit lazy when people say how useless we are at transfer windows. We''ve signed some quality players over the last few windows. Just to name a few, Klose, Brady, Oliveira, Olsson, Pritchard. Even Naismith is starting to look decent. All clubs have their fair share of failures too, but I don''t see our record of signings being much different to other clubs. Some signings work out, some don''t.

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]Have to say I find it a bit lazy when people say how useless we are at transfer windows. We''ve signed some quality players over the last few windows. Just to name a few, Klose, Brady, Oliveira, Olsson, Pritchard. Even Naismith is starting to look decent. All clubs have their fair share of failures too, but I don''t see our record of signings being much different to other clubs. Some signings work out, some don''t.[/quote][Y]

Why is it lazy?

I think we''ve been pretty useless in transfer windows. You mention Naismith as ''starting to look decent'', I generally expect more than ''looking decent'' after a year with the club when you spend £8m and god knows how much on wages.

[quote user="king canary"]Why is it lazy?

I think we''ve been pretty useless in transfer windows. You mention Naismith as ''starting to look decent'', I generally expect more than ''looking decent'' after a year with the club when you spend £8m and god knows how much on wages.[/quote]It is very easy to fall back into the "Why would anyone want to come to little old Norwich" and "Our board are clueless" though, isn''t it?We get some right, we get some wrong.Just like every single other club in every league in the world (Unless they are minted)

It''s easy to get them wrong, just ask Alex Ferguson;

Bébé: £7.4 million from Vitória de Guimarães

David Bellion: £3m from Sunderland

Dong Fangzhou: £3.5m from Dalian Shide

Eric Djemba-Djemba: £3.5m from Nantes

Gabriel Obertan: £3m from Bordeaux

Kléberson: £6.5m from Atlético Paranaense

Diego Forlán: £6.9m from Independiente

Yeah that''s hit the nail on the head Morty, if you''re minted,transfer windows are no problem but for the rest of us a bad one can be a big problem.

I don''t think generally we''ve been too bad in windows and as I said in another thread losing out on deals happens all the time. The only slight concern would be we managed to get him over here, it''s then our job as a club to do enough to make him want to sign. I (think) Grant Holt spoke about it a lot and so did Huckerby when it came to doing enough at Carrow Road / Colney etc to make a player sign.

Past that, King Canary has a relevant concern. As Morty said, the chances of us signing Koulibaly etc in that summer window before the prem season were....slim....at best. Theres no problem targetting them and seeing what happens but I don''t know anyone who thinks that window was successful - the failure came down to not having, or maybe more so not succeeding, in attracting our second or third choice targets.

The key thing to realise is many deals will collapse but it''s still the clubs job to get one or, however many, over the line.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]It''s easy to get them wrong, just ask Alex Ferguson;

Bébé: £7.4 million from Vitória de Guimarães

David Bellion: £3m from Sunderland

Dong Fangzhou: £3.5m from Dalian Shide

Eric Djemba-Djemba: £3.5m from Nantes

Gabriel Obertan: £3m from Bordeaux

Kléberson: £6.5m from Atlético Paranaense

Diego Forlán: £6.9m from Independiente

[/quote]Loose change for Manure so worth the gamble

Ok so lets take the argument we''re not bad in transfer windows and we''ve added a good amount of quality in the last couple of seasons.

On that basis the manager must be failing miserably right now surely?

[quote user="Bagster"]Yeah that''s hit the nail on the head Morty, if you''re minted,transfer windows are no problem but for the rest of us a bad one can be a big problem.[/quote]Suddenly all those players who used to be all about "playing for the biggest clubs and achieving success" are more about "Oh, hi China".Always has been, and always will be, all about the money.

[quote user="king canary"]Ok so lets take the argument we''re not bad in transfer windows and we''ve added a good amount of quality in the last couple of seasons.

On that basis the manager must be failing miserably right now surely?[/quote]No one is saying its all sunshine and smiles.But there is a middle ground here.

No Morty not saying we offered him 5k a week

just using that as a example that the wages would have been sorted out before a player comes over from holland

No point agreeing a fee with a club for him to get all the way here to find out we are only offering 5k a week

so we agree a fee then speak to agent say we are around the same wage as they expect come over for discussions on final details

just pointing out that some posters think he got here and we offered some wages he said no thankyou and got on the plane home

it must have been something else not wages

Maybe I just have higher expectations of new signings that you guys.

Brady is about to be sold for a minimal profit and nobody is hugely gutted about him leaving- how much of a success has he been really?

Naismith was bought to help us stay up- he failed and has spent time in and out of the team and only just started to ''look decent.'' Hardly a success.

This summer we bought in four players, only one gets any regular game time- one in four is not a great hit rate.

Last summer we failed to address our key positions of need and spent £40k a week on a midfield crock- success?

Four of our five most expensive transfers of all time came under Neil and are part of squad that has taken us from Premier League to mid-table Championship. Where is the success?

I just don''t see it.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]No Morty not saying we offered him 5k a week

just using that as a example that the wages would have been sorted out before a player comes over from holland

No point agreeing a fee with a club for him to get all the way here to find out we are only offering 5k a week

so we agree a fee then speak to agent say we are around the same wage as they expect come over for discussions on final details

just pointing out that some posters think he got here and we offered some wages he said no thankyou and got on the plane home

it must have been something else not wages
[/quote]I wonder what else you think it could have been.[^o)]