Sign in to follow this  
Mason 47

Mitchell Dijks

With little, if any, footballing ambition to highlight, I suspect money is the only thing we can offer. And, with a likely, relegation scrap to come during the course of any contract, I suspect we need to be mindful of our tier three business plan.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Apparently didn''t like Norfolk, quote -  "If I wanted to live in a flat landscape, I would have stayed in Holland" [:O]

[/quote]Probably thought we had enough dykes already

He (or his agent) actually said some nice things about the Club.

He didn''t quite fancy the package (90% approval) so with a degree of uncertainty turned the deal down.

His prerogative.

Happens all the time.

Pity though, quite fancied this player.

With just 5 days left, it may be that we  will have to wait until the summer to get the cover we need, i guess Whitts is the only happy man about a player turning us down. The Brady situation is still not finalised yet so,,,it remains...1 senior player gone...zero new senior players in...talk about a quiet January transfer window. Alex talked about a domino effect, but so far does not look like happening.

[quote user="Essjayess"]With just 5 days left, it may be that we  will have to wait until the summer to get the cover we need, i guess Whitts is the only happy man about a player turning us down. The Brady situation is still not finalised yet so,,,it remains...1 senior player gone...zero new senior players in...talk about a quiet January transfer window. Alex talked about a domino effect, but so far does not look like happening.[/quote]Its obvious it all hinges on the Brady transfer, which will happen. Have patience.

[quote user="Ginja"][img]http://i.imgur.com/4NY5eDZ.png[/img][/quote]Getting kinda bored with Butler trying to stir the pot recently. #understatement.

Dijks didnt want to move to England, only to have to stay in the Holiday Inn at the corner of Carra until he had found a new home. His agent was overheard commenting to Delia that the Ajax stadium had a full quota of seats in each of their corner stands rather than a hotel.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]The problem is Morty that he is correct, we seem to have been in for an awful lot of players recently but we always seem to lose out[/quote]Who are they then?Take away all the rumours, then I suspect we have no more failures than any other club. I should imagine players go and have a look at clubs every day, then look elsewhere.

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]Aldeweireld, Halley and Koulibaly instantly spring to mind[/quote]Were any of those, realistically, actually ever going to come here?Alderweireld, especially.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Rogue Baboon"]The problem is Morty that he is correct, we seem to have been in for an awful lot of players recently but we always seem to lose out[/quote]Who are they then?Take away all the rumours, then I suspect we have no more failures than any other club. I should imagine players go and have a look at clubs every day, then look elsewhere.

[/quote]Peter Odemwingie does, he''s always looking for parking spots for future transfer windows.This does work both ways, sometimes the player turns up and the club doesn''t like the look of him, they file this under ''couldn''t agree personal terms''.

So presumably we had agreed a fee and the player came over to talk personal details. Presumably then he must have been one of our main targets so now he''s blown us out I wonder, but doubt, if we''ve got a Plan B in mind5 days left is not long to start from scratch again unless you''re happy to end up with more dross

[quote user="Making Plans"]So presumably we had agreed a fee and the player came over to talk personal details. Presumably then he must have been one of our main targets so now he''s blown us out I wonder, but doubt, if we''ve got a Plan B in mind5 days left is not long to start from scratch again unless you''re happy to end up with more dross[/quote]Presumably + presumably = unsubstantiated doom and misery.

There''s only one way you''ll get a certain type of player to come to a part of the country like this

Money

Norfolk is awesome, it is genuinely one of the nicest places in the country to live but a certain type of foootballer clearly looks at this as a backwater

We tend to get a lot of family centric guys and it''s no coincidence that plenty of ex pros move to Norfolk when their playing career ends.

But for a guy in this early twenties on 30k a week maybe "gorn up thu citee" isn''t enough

It''s a sad fact

"Were any of those, realistically, actually ever going to come here?

Alderweireld, especially."

Sort of begs the question of why we were trying to sign them then?

[quote user="king canary"]"Were any of those, realistically, actually ever going to come here?

Alderweireld, especially."

Sort of begs the question of why we were trying to sign them then?[/quote]So we shouldn''t show "amishun" and try and aim high?The board really can''t win sometimes.

But if there was never any realistic chance of them coming here as you state then it is just wasting time isn''t it?

Fer was an ambitious signing and player who was happy to come here.

Bids for unrealistic targets with no real interest in playing for Norwich isn''t ''ambition'', it''s silly.

The fee and wages would have been sorted out before he made the trip over !

no point coming over here and we offer him 5 k a week ! why waste your time flying over unless you were happy with wages

so the final details would be sorted out once he came here for talks

something put him off what i have no idea

So should we only settle for players from lower/weaker leagues then, rather than aiming high but not securing every transfer we want?

Bit "little old Norwich" isn''t it?

[quote user="king canary"]But if there was never any realistic chance of them coming here as you state then it is just wasting time isn''t it?

Fer was an ambitious signing and player who was happy to come here.

Bids for unrealistic targets with no real interest in playing for Norwich isn''t ''ambition'', it''s silly.[/quote]Where does ambition stop and unrealistic start? Who decided that?Did we even talk to any of the players mentioned? Did the players maybe show interest, just to stir up newspaper column inches?I remember, years ago, we had a keeper on trial, Jussi Jaaskelainen, and suddenly crowds watching reserve games are full of club scouts, and he signs for Bolton. Lots of things to do with transfers aren''t as they seem.Also, the only way you find out if a player is genuinely interested is by talking to him, and as pointed out in a post above, quite often its the club that decides its not right.

@Ian

I don''t think anyone has said anything like that have they...

In the modern footballing world transfer targets will be well sounded before a bid is even made- no point bidding for someone who has zero interest in playing for you.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]The fee and wages would have been sorted out before he made the trip over !

no point coming over here and we offer him 5 k a week ! why waste your time flying over unless you were happy with wages

so the final details would be sorted out once he came here for talks

something put him off what i have no idea[/quote]Thats the only sure thing here....

We should be a Dutchmans dream first step, just 30 minute flight to Amsterdam!

Who knows why he decided against Norwich, could be the manager, the club, at 23 he might look for a move to London.

That said it''s right to ask the question on why we do appear to miss our first choice targets more often than not. It''s like any other business, without getting feed back we can''t improve what the requirements are.

[quote user="Indy"]We should be a Dutchmans dream first step, just 30 minute flight to Amsterdam!

Who knows why he decided against Norwich, could be the manager, the club, at 23 he might look for a move to London.

That said it''s right to ask the question on why we do appear to miss our first choice targets more often than not. It''s like any other business, without getting feed back we can''t improve what the requirements are.[/quote]Or the fact that its reported Newcastle are interested.....

@Morty

It was pretty well covered that Haller came here and decided not to join- something that should have been pretty obvious as he was saying he wouldn''t move without European football being on offer.

''Haller held talks with Alex Neil on a flying visit to Colney earlier this month, but the 21-year-old will not be returning ahead of Monday’s 11pm deadline.''

As mentioned showing ambition is fine but not if it gets in the way of you bringing in other targets. For instance it seems summer of 15 we put al our eggs in the Kouilbaly basket and when we couldn''t convince him to join we ended up without a new centre half.

If Dijks has turned us down but we still bring in Marvin Z then fine.

[quote user="Buh"]Norfolk is awesome, it is genuinely one of the nicest places in the country to live but a certain type of foootballer clearly looks at this as a backwater

But for a guy in this early twenties on 30k a week maybe "gorn up thu citee" isn''t enough

It''s a sad fact[/quote]

I don''t buy this view at all.

London is an hour 50 on the train. I live in Crystal Palace and my commute every morning isn''t far off this! I agree that most kids would rather live in London, but surely Norwich is a darn sight closer to the capital than a lot of other clubs.

Let''s face it, it''s all about the money. If we stumped up enough, I doubt living in Norfolk would be an issue at all.