Sign in to follow this  
ec-p

AN on talksport- coming up.

As above Alex Neil is being interviewed on Talksport, on the Jim White show, between 10 and 1 pm today.

AN: "You don''t become a bad manager overnight."

Self belief?

Conceit?

Self-kidology?

Apart from that he gave a good account of himself, IMO.

Standard responses, but he seemed laid back about it all.

High praise for Delia, as expected.

More importantly he confirmed that there had been bids for Robbie Brady but not up to our valuation and that the Olsson sale meant we could stick to our valuation.

AND: he confirmed that he hoped to bring players IN.

As i thought, Alex doesnt get involved with the nitty-gritty when dealing with signings - All down to Jez. Im pleased about this, Jez is a top negotiator and isnt going to be taken advantage of by rouge agents.

[quote user="True Grit"]As i thought, Alex doesnt get involved with the nitty-gritty when dealing with signings - All down to Jez. Im pleased about this, Jez is a top negotiator and isnt going to be taken advantage of by rouge agents.[/quote]I certainly hope not - that would really make him blush.

AN "You don''t become a bad manager overnight."

Self belief?

Conceit?

Self-kidology?

LDC "Fact?."

To become a bad manager overnight assumes that he is/was a good manager.

To be determined over the next few months. The jury remains out.

He''s not and never will be a bad manager. what he may be is a limited manager, who can only succeed under the right circumstances. The jury is out as to whether he can get anywhere near the best out of our squad on a consistent enough basis like he did when he first arrived. sometimes even good managers need replacing when things go stale.

Same happened with Hughton at us. he was and still is a good manager but he lost his way with us and wasn''t backed to bring in a striker in that Jan window when it was clear the money he spent on strikers in summer had flopped.

hopefully despite me leaning more towards the Neil out camp, he can prove us wrong and get us winning again. no true Norwich fan wants us to lose and Neil to be sacked as a result etc but I can appreciate taking 1 step back to take 2 forward.

He was never going to say anything too controversial let''s be honest.

Boasted about the play offs and 2015 and our recent "upturn in form" (not won in 10 away games though), without delving into our horrendous run but I don''t suppose anyone would be mentioning this if they were in his shoes.

Pretty sure Jim White and Harry Redknapp don''t watch a lot of Championship football though - "most Norwich fans are behind the manager", "Brady''s been a top player".

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]AN "You don''t become a bad manager overnight."

Self belief?

Conceit?

Self-kidology?

LDC "Fact?."

To become a bad manager overnight assumes that he is/was a good manager.

To be determined over the next few months. The jury remains out.[/quote]Thats just plain silly Broady.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]AN: "You don''t become a bad manager overnight."

Self belief?

Conceit?

Self-kidology?[/quote]

Fact?

[/quote]

So at what point did he prove himself a good manager to back up his conceited statement ?

To be a good manager you need the full package a variety of different tools in the box....

To date he has proved he can motivate a bang average team to push for short periods of time (both at Hamilton and Norwich 2 yrs ago) and over achieve.

He has also shown he has very little in the box to change or effect situations when plan A isnt working

Clearly doesnt know how to motivate or man manager players of a higher calibre, that have already peaked in their careers

Many managers can have a successful ''honeymoon'' period the sign of a good manager is getting the best out of what you have available time and time again.

Judging ''the good'' is all relative to what/where you start delivering on expectation

Getting us promoted 2 years ago was indeed indeed an achievement, although it has to be said that Neal Adams needs some credit for having the club in a position where by the new man could finish the hob (although you could argue prior to the boro home and R''ham away games automatic should have been achieved)

However getting us relegated from where we sat last Jan, with the huge investment the board made in that window was failure of epic proportion....

The no show at home to Sunderland after the get out of jail card the match before at home to Newcastle was criminal !!

The rate of decline this season given the squad the board equipped him with is again failure (large scale failure)

Yes we could have done with investment in key areas which didnt happen.....BUT the sums spent and quality recruited over the last 12 months is unprecedented in Norwich history.....everyone pundits and bookmakers included expected a top 2 finish

With that as the back drop, to be mid table without even challenging for a top 6 position at this stage ranks as one of the worst managerial displays I have witnessed !!

Seems a strange turn of events by the board to make such heavy investment in terms of outlay and wages and then settle for a bargain basement manager ?

And so while I accept you dont become a bad manager overnight.... I dont see that you actually warranted the title you bequeathed upon yourself initially !!

Jim white. That bloke is a d1ck head. Seems to have quite a high opinion of himself. Made a reputation out of w4nking himself silly over transfer deadline day. Where nothing exciting actually happens.

Ha he did, I ticked it off my bingo card

Wembley ✔️

Manager of the month ✔️

Not a bad manager overnight ✔️

Owners are fully behind me ✔️

Home form good ✔️

We''ve turning it around ✔️

HOUSE!!!

Crikey.

There must be a statue of limitations for how long you can keep mentioning a manager of the month award. It was over 3 months ago now...

Fair to say that you don''t become a bad manager overnight but there are different aspects to the job that come to the fore after a certain length of time.

For instance after two or three windows you have had the opportunity to mold the squad into your way of playing, address weaknesses and move on people you don''t rate.

Also man management becomes different (maybe more difficult) with people you know as opposed to when you first come into a job and everyone is trying to impress.

Then there is the bringing through of younger talent and developing and improving the players you have available.

As an example you could argue that Jose Mourinho''s record shows that he finds longer term management more difficult than when he has the initial impact of a new boss.

So no you don''t suddenly become a bad manager but you do have to have different abilities for the long term. Has AN developed and balanced the squad well over time. Has his man management stood up to the test of time. Has he improved the playing abilities of the squad and brought through the youngsters.

Very much open to debate IMO.

If any of you can show me your posts from when we were winning for fun last time in the Championship, or winning at Wembley, saying you didn''t rate Alex Neil, I shall happily commend you on your opinion.Alex Neil appeared to outmanage the Messiah this weekend, where does that fit in?In fact you could say, if you so wanted to, that Lambert''s poor substitutions cost them the game.But, of course, it was all about Wolves being poor, wasn''t it?

Has he distanced himself from the transfer side of things for a reason with 8 days to go and no one in through the door yet, and if we dont bring in anyone or get the players we want then there is someone else to blame?

Because we have been in this situation before through these transfer windows.

I think your first point is more than fair Morty.

But I reckon I could out-manage most in this league with this squad. The question I guess is what if Lambert or similar had this squad? As always, no-one knows.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think your first point is more than fair Morty.

But I reckon I could out-manage most in this league with this squad. The question I guess is what if Lambert or similar had this squad? As always, no-one knows.[/quote]You couldn''t really though, could you?Exactly, no one knows. Though plenty will pretend they do[;)]

Hogesar.

What you should have said is that you reckon LDC could out-manage most in the league with the squad then you would have avoided the rebuke and the mandatory smiling facey-wacey.

Is he a good manager?

His time at Hamilton certainly suggests so.

Since he''s been here though...

The run when he first came in was incredible- to almost get automatic promotion considering where we were when he took over was pretty amazing.

However in the Premier League season we went down with a whimper. I was particualrly troubled by the no-shows in some big relegation ''6 pointers'' - notable Palace, Bournemouth and Villa away and Sunderland at home.

This season we somehow managed to go top without look convincing quite a bit of the time (and quite a few posters said so) and have then gone on a staggeringly bad run.

As others have mentioned you do get some managers who excel at motivating players for short bursts but struggle to sustain it longer term- Tim Sherwood is an obvious example. Is Alex Neil one of those? I''m not totally sure.

Well, I don''t know. I fancy my chances. You think some of our players are prima-donnas, you should see some of the apprentices i''ve had to deal with!

TJ

"He''s not and never will be a bad manager. what he may be is a limited manager, who can only succeed under the right circumstances. The jury is out as to whether he can get anywhere near the best out of our squad on a consistent enough basis like he did when he first arrived. sometimes even good managers need replacing when things go stale."

That''s a fair summary.

[quote user="morty"]If any of you can show me your posts from when we were winning for fun last time in the Championship, or winning at Wembley, saying you didn''t rate Alex Neil, I shall happily commend you on your opinion.Alex Neil appeared to outmanage the Messiah this weekend, where does that fit in?In fact you could say, if you so wanted to, that Lambert''s poor substitutions cost them the game.But, of course, it was all about Wolves being poor, wasn''t it?[/quote]

Come now Morty we all know its subjective....

we all said he looks like a bright young fresh up coming manager....which at the time he did, likewise after relegation we all with hindsight thought he could have done with another season in the chumps to aid his education, but he apologised and promised to learn...we took him at his word and rallied NOW that will only last for so long before (and as has happened) people start to question what/when will the learning bear fruit ?

Some of us realised early on (myself Brum away sowed the seed of doubt, the Brighton shocker and QPR team selection sealed the deal) others have slowly but surely lost faith. What must be accepted is that now there is a large majority that dont believe he is at present the man to take us forward.

Nothing to say with time or a change of club he couldnt go on to be a good/great manager....have we got or are we prepared to stick with him over a prolonged spell 3 or 4 seasons to see ? Or do we need the lucrative promised land to progress as a club ?

As for the weekends match taken in isolation it would appear AN was the shrewder of the two !

HOWEVER I consider myself capable of much deeper interpretation than that of face value.

The facts PL went for it after halftime trailing by a single goal as we know is his style....did it work ?

Yes they levelled and looked to be in the ascendancy....

However fate conspired against him..... and Wes did what we all know Wes can and produced some magic!

Now here''s the question....IF Martin hadnt departed for Swansea a day earlier would Wes have been on the pitch, would Ollson have been LB, Brady Left Mid and Wes on the bench ?

Of course we will never know but looking at AN record I fancy ''he got lucky'' with team selection on the day !

Yes Wolves were poor on the day, we werent much better with the ball in the air or being given away cheaply on a regular basis in the first half !

BUT here is the real gem....72mins gone Wolves down to 10 men with their LB in goal, and PL choosing to play 3 at the back and go for it !

Why then did our manager continue with his Plan A....and continue to try and play out from the back, soak up pressure and insist on the usual slow methodical build up and lots of sideways passing ?

Even when the changes came they were like for like...

Yes we eventually got another goal after we managed our first shot in the final 18 minutes ! Job done !

I agree there was some merit in replacing/protecting Wes and Cam given more games approaching and injuries/suspensions taking a toll

But surely there was a case for pace and height in the box with crosses coming into the penalty area from all parts of the pitch as quickly and ferociously as possible.

Worry the inexperienced keeper give him something to do, find the weak point and exploit it !

Instead we got more of the same from AN....with an edgy crowd sweating on tender hooks for the final 20 minutes !

The Carra was like a fooking morgue Saturday afternoon,

guess I;m not the only one in need of a trip to the pub to make things look sweeter ;)