Sign in to follow this  
Yakkers

Shackell and Barnsley?

On the Norwich section on the bbc website it says that Barnsley have been looking at Shackell as a transfer target!  Surely if they are they could only be looking to loan him as i would have thought that if he leaves Norwich he would be looking for a step up.

They could never afford him, with all respect.

Nigel wouldn''t let him go on the cheap. A young, gifted defender who has worked his way up through our ranks? What is Shackell worth?

[quote]They could never afford him, with all respect. Nigel wouldn''t let him go on the cheap. A young, gifted defender who has worked his way up through our ranks? What is Shackell worth?[/quote]

How many Shekels to a Shackell then ? Far to many for Barnsley I feel.

Anyway how come Barnsley suddenly think he is affordable or even up for a move ?

I can''t believe the Barnsley manager just walks in from the street and makes these statements unless he has already been led to believe the lad is available, can he ?

Im still not convinced about the ability he has to become an avarage, let alone top, Premiership player.

He is still better than Flem and on his day Doc but Davenport (who is nowhere near the Spurs first team and was shown up when playing in the Saints defence last year) is so far ahead of him as a player.

If Shacks hadnt come through the youth system would we rate him as highly?????

If I can just set the record straight here, the RUMOUR relates to barnsley LOANING him, not buying. Anyway his injury has probably scuppered any deal they were hoping could be done.

[quote]Im still not convinced about the ability he has to become an avarage, let alone top, Premiership player. He is still better than Flem and on his day Doc but Davenport (who is nowhere near the Spurs ...[/quote]

Lets look at davenport.A very good player?Games so far : Ipswich-  10 men very poor div 2 striker on his own. Reading- tried to stop his player with strength got out muscled led to goal. Hull- worst team to visit carrow road in many seasons very poor strikers,small,slow.Brighton-like hull very poor side no attatack.I will pass a better judgement on davenport with a few quality teams in the next  weeks.Shacks played against Prem strikers  last season and showed a great deal of potential.This season it was mumps,in the pree season,then rumour says bad back,then flem struggling along side him, also Charlton at left back for 3 games.The team low on confidence at the wrong end of table.The lad has got talent as the team has,so I would like to see him along side davenport or docs and see what result we get then,subject to the lads latest injury.

A short term loan might be the making of him, Worthy whatever we think of him has a problem with Shackell, a month in S Yorks might just focus his mind, will not get into !st team soon unless injury.

However injury could put paid to any loan.

As for Davenport just watch the way he can read the game so much time this lad is a class act, which only City fans can see st the moment, signing Dav could be the best signing ever.

I have to agree Davenport would be a fantastic signing - the money would be better spent IMO  on him than it would have been on Morrison as this is more of a problem area for us (current freak injury crisis aside) although he almost certainly will cost more than we wanted to spend on Morrison. It cant be a coincidence that the defence has tightened up since he came in and all of a sudden the Ginger Pele looks like a different player too alongside him. We can only hope.

I personally rate Shackell very highly, and I do back Worthy, but I feel that the thought of loaning a player of Shackells quality would be nothing short of a disgrace. Shackell when included in the team made such a difference and was one of the players who contributed to us almost acheiving the impossible dream. Why would Barnsley be benificial to Shacks. He has prem experience, what would he gain from playing for a poor divsion one side.

Anyone with half a brain can see this guy is class.  The people I sit with all comment on the massive impact and contributution Shackell made last season. Barnsley, Luton, I can not believe what I am reading. Totally disrespectful.

I do rate Davenport but I dont think he has that much more to offer then Shackell. What massive contribution did he make to Southamptons cause. Compare the efforts of the shacks who was almost man of the match in nearly every game he played to Davenports last season.

I am mighty confused to what is going on.

I am also worried that when Davenport leaves we are left with the flem and doc partnership. Doc has been awesome in the last few games and this is not being disrespectful to Flem who has been amazing in his service to Norwich but that partnership just does not work, and it will leak goals.

It is amazing how fickle people can be. When Shackell broke into the team and put in a string of amazing peformances, he was getting heavy praise on this message board, and now he is out of favour in peoples opinions.

He is young and he did not have the best start this season, but name a Norwich player apart from Safri who did start the season well. If we are basing our opinions on this and people think that Barnsley is a good idea for Shacks the we might as well send Ashton to Scunthorpe and Hucks to Peterboro!!!

Barnsley will have him for Free when Worthy releases him because hes injured (Gaetano Giallanza, Zema Abbey to name but 2)

jas

you can''t compare Shackell with Gallianza or Abbey. They were crocked well and truly. Where are they now?

Shackell is a very good central defender. He has one bad game vs Watford and Worthy conveniently made him the scapegoat.

Worthy had an abysmal game vs Reading but he''s redeemed himself partly with 2 successive wins. Why deny Shackell the same chance?

Davenport and Doherty are playing so well that you couldn''t drop either but should Davenport not stay or either gets injured i know who my first choice replacement would be.

Shackell? Barnseley. My arse.

It looks likebarnsley have got wind of the worthy/shacks/behind the scenes rumours that were on here a few days ago and wanted to try their arm - Mondays injury will have scuppered that though.  It wouldh ave been interesting to see whether worthy would have sent him out for a month without that though, given flem and charlie as cover...

I said at the start of the season that doc and shacks were citys future and nothing Ihave seen since has changed my mind on that.   Flem has been out performed by shacks, doc & davenport and with three better options should not start for city again unless injuries hit the team or the others suffer as serious loss of form as flem had over the last 12 months. 

Davenport better than shacks - not on the basis of the games I have seen - shacks is stronger in the challenge and matches clum in every other aspect.  Doc has outplayed calum in every game and I would not pay £3m for doc.   If we can sign calum at a decent price then excellent - otherwise he has done the main job in moving flem out of the starting 11.  

Shacks is still the defender at the with most potential to succeed at the highest level - we have to keep him for that reason alone.   It may take another season before he is consistent enouigh but that happens with the vast majority of young players - it will happen, if worthy can keep the faith with him

OTBC