Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Southampton and Redmond

Great performance over two legs from Redders and a league cup final. Well deserved and I hate Liverpool.

The thing with Remond is that as well as he played, the tie was still not finished until the 92nd minute of the 2nd leg.

Southampton could have easily been 4-0 up after the first leg if Redmond could finish consistently

A good friend of mine sees every Saints game, and his, and other Soton fans, description of Redmond, is uncanny;

''He hides from receiving a pass'', ''One good game in a few'', ''Inconsistent'', ''Doesn''t utilise his talent'', ''Slow in his thinking'', (you get the jist)

They think they definitely overpaid for him......

Don''t really see how criticism is justified in ths case.  Two pressurised semi-final matches against Liverpool, both won, Redmond featured heavily in both.  End of story.Good luck to him in the final - Wembley suits him.

LDC, read the post again. It''s not about if he played well in the Semi-finals (In fact, someone said he could have done a lot better in the first leg). Also that is pretty much all you have seen (or at least a small percentage) of Southampton this season. My Saints friend has seen every minute of every game, and talks to other Saints fans.

Its simple - Southampton won the tie 2-0 on aggregate. Redmond could have scored 4 & put the tie to bed in the first leg alone.

Fair play to him & credit to him for scoring in the first leg though, but seems the inconsistencies have followed him to Southampton

Good luck to him but I would imagine most feel that it was good business selling him for a large profit and having arguably, for NCFC, a better replacement in Jacob and hopefully Josh.

[quote user="hogesar"]I like Jacob, but Redmond is a better player.[/quote]

11 goals in well over a hundred appearances as opposed Jacob''s 6 in 21 means ability aside, the end product which is the crucial part of the game, would support my thesis more suitably though.

I would say that Redmond currently has more technical ability than Jacob, but doesn''t consistently apply that in such a way to produce tangible end product.

That said, if Jacob can continue his rapid rate of improvement I think he will be the superior player in all respects sooner rather than later.

Isn''t Redmonds ''career''in first teams a lot older than Murphys though? Wasn''t he a regular for Birmingham at 17?

So on that basis you would expect Redmond to be more advanced than Murphy, although as already stated Murphy seems to have a better goal to game ratio

Redmond is far better in terms of linking up play and awareness.

But Jacob is always likely to score more goals because he''s a bit more powerful and eager to get a shot away.

Mark Lawrenson described his play as brilliant in the first half last night-I didn''t see it but it sounded like he was taking the defenders on, which he didn''t do enough off for us.

So what is that down to? Can the coaching at Soton have made such a difference in 6 months? More attacking manager? (Although Puel has been criticised for being too defensive). Happier and/or more confident? Anyone got any ideas?

Hasn''t Redmond himself made comments about being part of a better atmosphere at Southampton?

If he has I haven''t seen it GJP...would blow ANs claims about improving him as a player etc out the water...

It''s out there somewhere. A video interview. He makes it very easy to read between the lines.

To be fair the little i have seen of Redmond on TV (which only gives a slight insight) he seems to be enjoying his football with Soton, and looks like the Redderz from the play offs v the scum and Boro. Playing with better players will only bring him on, imo.

I''ll save you the search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKCbMIaUOU

Watched the video once and can''t say I heard him slate Norwich, bigging up his new club but he would wouldn''t be, best of luck to the guy... Onwards and upwards now it''s the twins turn