Sign in to follow this  
Eastonpromise

Am I the Only Person......

Am I the only person who is not to concerned about some of the tactics Norwich have been playing this season. Let me explain the one scenario I am talking about.

Norwich have posession and are pressing forward, get to the penalty area and hit a wall of defence, now rather than try and force there way through they pass back to halfway line and attempt to attack from other side and try again. I have no issue with this, but it seems the people around me tend to moan about it and shout at the players saying they don''t know what they doing, and how we going to win with tactics like that - I would rather we kept possession than lose it and get caught on the fast counter attack. How many times in the premiership did we see Norwich play well but lose to teams who had 2 shots and 2 goals simply because they were doing exactly what i said above.

Comments please

Nice name, Eastonpromise.  Just wanted to let you know that Dicky is the only poster on here not to be concerned by some of the tactics that we have been playing this season.  Welcome to the Pink''Un Message Boards, home of the Thousand Poster-Managers

[quote]Am I the only person who is not to concerned about some of the tactics Norwich have been playing this season. Let me explain the one scenario I am talking about. Norwich have posession and are pressi...[/quote]

Exactly. Some of the fans seem to groan whenever the ball is played back. But as you say Id rather we kept hold of the ball, let the opposition chase us about, and not get caught on the counter-attack.

Interesting point Easton !    and I , too , have  vented some frustration  when I see  us bouncing off a solid defence ..  the tactical  purists  will probably wince at this ,  but , Hey , its a simple game really !  all thats required is to get the ball into the net  ,  and you don`t do that  by  passing back to the halfway line !     penetration [ if you`ll excuse the expression ]   comes  [ ! ]   from getting bodies into  the box  ,   having just  one or two of our strikers   battling against  , say , eight or nine defenders ,  is really  asking to lose the ball !   more goals are made  from a goalmouth ding dong scrap .....

Breakaways  can be catered for by a sweeper

[quote]Nice name, Eastonpromise . Just wanted to let you know that Dicky is the only poster on here not to be concerned by some of the tactics that we have been playing this season. Welcome to the Pin...[/quote]

The ONLY one eh?  That must mean that EVERYONE else on here is concerned about our tactics.  And I thought we had started on a fairly good run of form, but it must just be me.

Sometimes I get frustrated, but then we have a dilemma, as Worthy himself has said "should we just lump it forward route-one?" when this point was put to him in an interview a few weeks back. Bear in mind that the second goal against Plymouth came from a long string of passes and the ball was moved about until the right opening appeared.

I''d rather see a patient build-up with a quality finish than just sticking the ball in the box when the defenders are all in position and marking our players.

However I do think we''re a little too slow sometimes. On a few occasions I''ve though that we break quickly to the edge of their box then stop, turn, wait for other players to get up and support the attack, by which time the opposition defence is all back in position.

So when we are breaking I''d like to see more support from midfield so that we can create a better chance from it, but I/we can''t have it both ways.

Actually I don''t care, provided we score more than the opposition. First half against Hull-type performances are a bonus...