Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Investment

See Southampton in talks regarding Chinese investment.... we use to be so similar as clubs, they are now light years ahead in terms of ambition, planning, academy, status......

Really depressing that in my opinion the gap will just keep getting bigger.

[quote user="Mike "]See Southampton in talks regarding Chinese investment.... we use to be so similar as clubs, they are now light years ahead in terms of ambition, planning, academy, status......

Really depressing that in my opinion the gap will just keep getting bigger.[/quote]

Why do you think we were similar clubs?  You could compare us with several clubs of similar ilk (depending on what you mean by similar). Coventry, maybe?  Portsmouth?  Even 1p5wich.  Plenty that have done worse, too. Southampton have done brilliantly - off the back of going into administration. Would we really want to go into administration, even if it meant we would do what they have done afterwards?   Southampton are a success story - but they had to be utter failures in nearly every way before they succeeded.   I wouldn''t like Norwich to sink as low as they did.

My point is that foreign investment has clearly pushed Southampton onto heights that we will not reach (IMO) with our current owners.

Southampton did go bust but we were perilously close to it ourselves and only the genius that is Paul Lambert saved us from the same fate.

The statement from their current owners about potential investment couldn''t be further from our owners Times interview.

It''s that lack of hope that kills...

"Why aren''t we Southampton?"

By J.R. Hartley

Foreword by Matt le Tissier

"Soutttthanptonnnn!!!SOUTHAMPTONNN!!south...south...southamptooonn!!southampton??south-ham-TONNNN"

Chapter one - "wy hint we tha thar sampton eh buh??"

An exceptional academy, fashionable status and millions and millions of pounds of external investment

Southampton net spend in five years £6,650,00 but I''d suggest that they have spent far more on the team that recruits players and are highly successful at doing that. Us? Ricky Martin....

Why aren''t we Southampton? You should be asking why are we not achieving our potential like clubs such as Southampton.

But hey you crack on lads

Lambert? Pretty much yes... without the two promotions and the increase in revenue generated by a successful 1st team then the board could not have moved us to a more financially stable position.

[quote user="Mike "]One of life''s great challenges.... trying to have sensible discussion on here....[/quote]

You started it.

Yes the ''why aren''t we *insert club here*'' response to anyone who has anything positive to say about another team is one of the more tiresome things on this board...

As is the head in the sand "it''ll be fine" mentality of those self appointed "special / real" fan retorts

[quote user="Mike "]As is the head in the sand "it''ll be fine" mentality of those self appointed "special / real" fan retorts[/quote]

Don''t forget the Happy Clappers.

[quote user="king canary"]Yes the ''why aren''t we *insert club here*'' response to anyone who has anything positive to say about another team is one of the more tiresome things on this board...[/quote]I think you''ll find it''s generally used in response to facile comparisons along the lines of "Southampton were in League 1 like us not so long ago, therefore we should be doing as well as them now".Whereas the scampi thing is genuinely tiresome.

No it''s not.

It''s used by some as soon as anyone mentions anything positive about another club.

The scampi thing is funny though.

Or nappy crappers!

It''s become a bit tedious at times on here, if you want change, question the clubs direction or say you feel distant as a fan then in the old days.

That said the other side is just as tedious, constantly bleating when we lose then never being happy to win as it secures AN as manager, he''s not going anywhere and there will be no change at owner level, so like it or lump it is up to you.

I can''t be arsed to even think about investment, we are a mid table championship club pushing above our potential and if we make the premiership all well and good, if not it''s not the end of the world.

Yes I got a lovely email from my a Southampton season ticket matey who again thanked us for Redders, they love him today!

It would be Morty but middle ground would need some compromise by both parties, that doesn''t happen, when we lose and the negative nellies turn up you guys go ultra defensive about the club.

The middle ground is done at the pub as I have older season ticket holders who mirror your views of our board, mine is vastly different, I''ve seen so many changes in my working environment that I welcome change, and after 20 years I''d love to see a fresh direction, IMO we are stagnating and our owners have this agenda of big money investment which might just not be the best for this club long term. But that''s just me.

I''m with Indy.

The likes of Highland, Keith etc just delight in being negative- no real discussion to be had with them.

However there are some on the other side of things who just won''t hear a thing said against any aspect of the club and it just gets further entrenched.

Unfortunately Mike that won''t change, so you''ll need to try and adjust your hopes......

I would also say that our management isn''t really in place as it should be either, but last week was a nice day, to beat Wolves is always nice a close second to beating the binners.

I don''t disagree with you that neither one end of the spectrum or the other is right, although personally I rarely see anyone refusing point blank to accept any criticism of the club, most of those characterised as happy clappers are merely the sort of people who see a glass as half full. But IMHO the original post was a simplistic observation with nothing to back it up, so fully deserving of the put down it got.

Yes but you can''t argue that at the core of the OP he''s right, we actually got promoted out of the third division when Southampton still down there.

They did already have a superb ground and decent facilities in place, but they went through administration where we held on and restructured with Bowkett & McNally, they were bought by Markus Liebherr.

In reality money talks, it''s never just about how much you plough in, but how you structure things, Southampton have always produced good players through their youth system, they buy lots of good youngsters, but they do sell lots of players at vast profits.

It''s no coincidence that certain players we were after have ended up at Southampton and our youth set up is also now in a top class so in the near future we might start to see the same rewards Southampton have from their sales.

To say we wish we were Southampton is pretty much what we are looking at, I''m pretty sure we would be very happy to see our club achieve the same.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I don''t disagree with you that neither one end of the spectrum or the other is right, although personally I rarely see anyone refusing point blank to accept any criticism of the club, most of those characterised as happy clappers are merely the sort of people who see a glass as half full. But IMHO the original post was a simplistic observation with nothing to back it up, so fully deserving of the put down it got.[/quote]

Oh no how will I cope.... It was a fair comparison on how one club has moved on with foreign ownership and now one has stagnated (IMO)

I care not one jot for petty put downs.... they say more about the person doing it.

Got some serious decision going so all good...