Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

....never settle for second best????

".............but the Scot insists scouring Europe for top talent is the right strategy."

Now let me see where have I heard that before? After all it is the policy of our board.

Scouring Europe is one thing Alex, but then settling for a green individual that requires a father figure to hold his hand is another.

Why should it be different this time?

Leagues 1 and 2 players being pretty much disregarded despite plenty of evidence throughout the championship showing different.

Bad scouting will result in bad players or even good players who dont fit and look bad players wherever they come from around the world.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Leagues 1 and 2 players being pretty much disregarded despite plenty of evidence throughout the championship showing different.

Bad scouting will result in bad players or even good players who dont fit and look bad players wherever they come from around the world.[/quote]

He did say "If I did find a player who could improve us I would try and get them.” in relation to the lower leagues.

Playing devils advocate,

We''ve bought numerous players from lower leagues over past couple of years, many of whom have been young talents, so I suspect that Neil''s interview comments were ill thought, not entirely accurate.

Unfortunately, this a recurring theme with his interviews, many things he says don''t appear to be logical or factual.

The key is the phrase "if I was a supporter that''s what I would want to hear", that''s not an exact quote because I can''t be bothered to get a clip from the article, but it''s what he was reported as saying.

Those of us with children, or in a supervisory capacity at work, know that sometimes people say what they think you want to hear. Most of the time that just causes confusion and delay, it''s usually better to stick to the facts, people respect honesty and the story makes sense.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]What are you actually talking about?[/quote]

Have you been asleep for the past few years? I''m talking about our board''s/manager''s propensity to say one thing and then do another.Particularly in regard to recruitment of managers/players. They know that fans have, in general, short memories and that it takes only one win to ''bring them back on board''.

Surely we want to sign the best players we can, and the only challenges to that are budget, wages and whether the player wants to come here. Two of those factors are in our control and as the recent Dutch defender experience has shown, the third is not.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Leagues 1 and 2 players being pretty much disregarded despite plenty of evidence throughout the championship showing different.

Bad scouting will result in bad players or even good players who dont fit and look bad players wherever they come from around the world.[/quote]

He did say "If I did find a player who could improve us I would try and get them.” in relation to the lower leagues.

[/quote]

Thats my issue at the moment, i dont think the club can "identify" players that actually fit. I''m not laying all the blame at AN door, i think these last 2 years our scouting has been shocking. Anyway lets hope it''s just boxing clever talk, to get the clubs targets.

Or are some people just desperate to jump on anything said by the club / manager and pull it to bits?

I don''t think it is that Morty , I for one read that report and thought "really?" That old nonsense again b

It''s the repetitive nature of excuses being made , same old same old , from the tactics , explanations as to why we have been so bad lately , down to our continuing failiure in consecutive transfer windows .

Not just a stick Morty , I love the club as much as anyone , but getting sick to death of the nonsense, obviously many others are too. If you choose to be , or can genuinely feel more pragmatic , good on you . 👍

quote user="morty"]Or are some people just desperate to jump on anything said by the club / manager and pull it to bits?[/quote

Blimey, Morty, that''s radical thinking.No place for that sort of talk here, thank you

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]I don''t think it is that Morty , I for one read that report and thought "really?" That old nonsense again b

It''s the repetitive nature of excuses being made , same old same old , from the tactics , explanations as to why we have been so bad lately , down to our continuing failiure in consecutive transfer windows .

Not just a stick Morty , I love the club as much as anyone , but getting sick to death of the nonsense, obviously many others are too. If you choose to be , or can genuinely feel more pragmatic , good on you . 👍[/quote]I honestly pay little attention to it.Its the manager answering questions from journos, that he basically doesn''t have an answer for. We are constantly surrounded by (or choose to surround ourself with) media and opinion. Its up to the individual how much of it they take onboard, or grab with both hands. Was our prospective left back covered in the national press? No, of course it wasn''t, because it really matters little, player couldn''t agree terms, and doesn''t sign, we move on.What will happen, will happen, and getting bent out of shape will have absolutely zero effect.I have learned to try and not get worked up about these kind of things any more.

Morty

Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd wrote:

I don''t think it is that Morty , I for one read that report and thought "really?" That old nonsense again b It''s the repetitive nature of excuses being made , same old same old , from the tactics , explanations as to why we have been so bad lately , down to our continuing failiure in consecutive transfer windows . Not just a stick Morty , I love the club as much as anyone , but getting sick to death of the nonsense, obviously many others are too. If you choose to be , or can genuinely feel more pragmatic , good on you . 👍

I honestly pay little attention to it.

Its the manager answering questions from journos, that he basically doesn''t have an answer for. We are constantly surrounded by (or choose to surround ourself with) media and opinion. Its up to the individual how much of it they take onboard, or grab with both hands. Was our prospective left back covered in the national press? No, of course it wasn''t, because it really matters little, player couldn''t agree terms, and doesn''t sign, we move on.

What will happen, will happen, and getting bent out of shape will have absolutely zero effect.

I have learned to try and not get worked up about these kind of things any more.

Definitely best !

Basically Neil has two press conferences to prepare for each week, before and after a game.

If any of us had that task we would surely spend time considering:-

* What info regarding player x do I want to divulge?

* What key messages do I want to project to my employers, the players, the supporters and the opposition?

* What odd questions are the journos likely to ask?

We would almost certainly have conversations with our assistants to ensure nothing is missed.

We would appear professional and by our choice of words, convey the intended message to our target audiences.

I know it''s not a perfect world, but every week we scratch our heads and have these conversations about what the ''intelligent'' man has said.

[quote user="Number9"]Basically Neil has two press conferences to prepare for each week, before and after a game.

If any of us had that task we would surely spend time considering:-

* What info regarding player x do I want to divulge? * What key messages do I want to project to my employers, the players, the supporters and the opposition?

* What odd questions are the journos likely to ask?

We would almost certainly have conversations with our assistants to ensure nothing is missed.

We would appear professional and by our choice of words, convey the intended message to our target audiences.

I know it''s not a perfect world, but every week we scratch our heads and have these conversations about what the ''intelligent'' man has said.[/quote]

It just seems that whatever manager we have he is slated for the way he talks to the press.  Lambert too (oneliners etc)If you watch AN in interviews he is focussing entirely on the questions being asked - just look at the way he concentrates eye to eye with the questioner - and he answers them clearly and honestly.  If people try to read stuff into it that isn''t there, then that is their problem.

Take press conferences like I take Prime Ministers'' Questions and other similar shart......Da proove iz in da poodin''.....

Sorry LDC, our expectations differ as to what is expected from a high earning manager who has as part of his remit to conduct interviews with the press.

Can you not grasp how much opportunity this gives Neil to project the message and image of his choice, and how woeful he actually is by the words he chooses and his not managing the situation to his, and the clubs,advantage?

How can you blame the scouts ?

the found the 2 x LB''s not their fault they turned us down is !

if any of the people moaning knew a scout they would know the fact we have found plenty of targets and that''s a FACT

Now if that player comes here or not

or if we can afford them or wages or if the like colney or the manager is not the scouts fault

How do people blame the scouts when they do not decide who the club buys

final say if everything is agreed is down to AN

I''d blame the fact we''ve waited forever and a day to finally make some waves.

We''ve known Olsson and Brady were likely to leave some time ago - why therefore have we managed to be in a position where we have no recognised actual left back?!

Aj is that the scouts fault ?

or clubs for no money

or AN

or players not wanting to come ?

the scout finds the player the rest is upto club etc

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Aj is that the scouts fault ?

or clubs for no money

or AN

or players not wanting to come ?

the scout finds the player the rest is upto club etc[/quote]

I''m not judging the scouting on players not signing i''m judging it on the players that have signed and there''s been to many failings on that front imo. It may not be down to the scouting at all and maybe they are being totally ignored either way we need to improve the success rates of our signings.