Sign in to follow this  
Balham Yellow

We were still dreadful in the 2nd half.

We could have had no complaints if Brighton had equalised.  Once Safri went off we were atrocious.  We couldn''t retain the ball at all and just continued to concede possession cheaply.  Still waiting for a 90 minute performance.  God help us if Safri gets a medium/long term injury.

[quote]We could have had no complaints if Brighton had equalised. Once Safri went off we were atrocious. We couldn''t retain the ball at all and just continued to concede possession cheaply. Still waiting ...[/quote]

Were you there?  Doesn''t sound like it.  Still, why let the facts get in the way of a good moan, eh?

[quote]We could have had no complaints if Brighton had equalised. Once Safri went off we were atrocious. We couldn''t retain the ball at all and just continued to concede possession cheaply. Still waiting ...[/quote]

Its a good job we were rubbish in the 2nd half though...what would you have had to moan about otherwise?

If Worthington held a press conference tomorrow and unveiled Beckham, Terry, Henry *and* the moon on a stick, I swear there would be someone posting here saying "Yeah but we''re still rubbish" and stuff.

Cheer up for Flecks sake. We''ve just won two away games on the bounce. If that continues I couldn''t give a monkeys what our second half performance is like. We''re clearly doing more right than we''re doing wrong at the moment. Thats what gets promotion, not playing like Brazil for 90 minutes.

How exactly were we dreadful in the second half?

We played professionally in the 2nd half, closed out the game, and won comfortably. In the second half, they didn''t create one chance. Their goal was a terrific hit, and we could have easily won by more, most down to poor decision making by Lisbie.

Some people just won''t give the team credit when deserved. Brighton had only lost one home game previously, and to come away such easy victors was rich reward for a good performance

i agree that like Ipswich and Hull it was an anxious 2nd half and I was mighty relieved to see the 4th goal of the match at the other end of the pitch at brighton but we won and I was a very happy geezer and thoroughly enjoyed the day. I can take a few more repeats if that''s what it takes.

when we get promotion this season will you still be moaning if it has not been the way you want them to play.would you be happier if we start losing games 3-1 but dominate for 90 mins.surely you can see the improvements made.it has taken time since being relegated same with palace and southampton but worthy knows his best team now. and we are coming to terms with the in your face football of the championship.you have to win how ever you can.reading we outplayed and lost same applies to the leeds match.you will never dominate for 90mins in the championship not enough time or room is given unlike the prem.take your point about safri could really do with some more cover for him fingers crossed he stays injury free untill we get that cover.

When we get promotion? Out of the (seven) teams above us that we''ve played, we''ve only managed to beat one, and that''s a 10-man Binners team. I should wait until we''ve beaten the majority of the teams currently above us before I come out with a statement like that!  

That is the nature of the game. How many games do you see where one team dominates 100%, it doesn''t happen, if it did football would become predictable and boring (Chelsea!). I think that tactics on behalf of both teams, forced substitutions and pressure etc. have something to do with it, thats why we watch it ! Although I joke about Chelsea even they don''t dominate for 90 mins do they? some people just want the "moon on a stick"  don''t they?

Actually not even Chelsea dominate games for 90 mins. It doesn''t happen. When I take my seat for a game I always think ''there will be a spell when we''re on top and there will be a spell when they''re on top''. The trick is to score while you''re on top, and to ride out the part where they''re on top.

If we dominate in the first half (Hull, Brighton), do you not think those managers are competent enough to see that and to rearrange things at half time? Hence the second half is never as dominant. In Hull''s case they put 5 in midfield, but at the expense of an extra man up front. Result? They looked tighter but never looked like scoring the equaliser. When Brighton pushed forward they left gaps at the back and we exploited one.

Another truism: the opposing team always looks/feels more dominant than they really are. It''s part of the nervousness of being a fan!

Do some people moan for the sake of it!?  We were not dreadful at all in the second half.  We had several chances to score a third (Lisbie, Colin, Hucks) before we did.  Of course Brighton were going to come at us in the second half.  They''d probably received a rollicking at half time because we totally outplayed/outclassed them.  As Amarillo says no team will dominate from the first whistle to the last.

I was absolutely delighted with the performance and the result on Saturday.  I thought it was professional, clinical and very much deserved.  The Norwich City of two years ago.  3-1 away?  I''d take that every week thank you very much

[quote]When we get promotion? Out of the (seven) teams above us that we''ve played, we''ve only managed to beat one, and that''s a 10-man Binners team. I should wait until we''ve beaten the majority of the tea...[/quote]

please please please post something of a positive nature. i am looking at all the good things which is happening at the moment and i truly believe we will get promoted this season.if you cant post one single positive comment about the club please leave the samaritans number because you aint half depressing me. 

[quote]Actually not even Chelsea dominate games for 90 mins. It doesn''t happen. When I take my seat for a game I always think ''there will be a spell when we''re on top and there will be a spell when they''re o...[/quote]

great post!

Always travellin'' - I''ll swap your Samaritans number for that of either a good optician for you or a qualified psychgiatrist! 

[quote]Always travellin'' - I''ll swap your Samaritans number for that of either a good optician for you or a qualified psychgiatrist![/quote]

i bet if you really tried you could have something positive to say about worthy and the boys.bite the bullett and admit worthy and the team are getting it together now and you do fancy us for promotion.  

I use http://www.newsnow.co.uk/newsfeed/?name=Norwich+City to try to see any stories about City. It also picks up opposition pages with fans reports - handy if you''d like a balanced view on a game. After Brighton, there were several Seagulls fans'' reviews which said they''d ''lost to the better team'' ''Norwich dominated the whole game'' ''City ran the show for the WHOLE 90 minutes'' ''Norwich were the best team to visit the Withdean so far this season''.

Those were the home fans views of the game, perhaps we are more critical of our performances than outsiders, hmmm?

[quote]Actually not even Chelsea dominate games for 90 mins. It doesn''t happen. When I take my seat for a game I always think ''there will be a spell when we''re on top and there will be a spell when they''re o...[/quote]

Exactly right Ama, I can''t remember the last time I saw a team dominate a game for the full 90 minutes.

It''s also worth noting that with both Brighton and Hull the score was 2-0 at half time.  It''s easier to come out and play and better in the second half when you''re losing.  The pressure is off and you have very little to lose.

I guess we''ll have to agree to disagree.  I still think we were awful against Brighton in the second half as indeed we were against Ipswich.  I cannot comnment on the Hull game as I wasn''t there.  I am fully aware that it is unlikely that one team will dominate for 90mins but that does not mean that it isn''t possible to play well for 90 mins.  If you believe, as some of you obviously do, that ''Worthy and the boys'' have sorted it out and are heading for promotion then we have different ideas of what it takes to get out of this division.

I don''t think we have progressed as we should have over the last 18 months.  Is it a coincidence that every team promoted to the Prem last season has managed to win away from home before October where as we couldn''t manage a single away win all season.  I don''t think so.

It all boils down to what you''re happy with.  Many of you seem content with what we''re doing currently, I and others like me aren''t.

[quote]I guess we''ll have to agree to disagree. I still think we were awful against Brighton in the second half as indeed we were against Ipswich. I cannot comnment on the Hull game as I wasn''t there. I a...[/quote]

Unless you really enjoy a good moan, I suggest that you look at supporting another team then (Chelsea perhaps?) as with Norwich there are ALWAYS going to be spells where we underperform.  We are a small team, with a limited budget - that will never change, and I personally quite like it how it is.

The bad times make the good times that much better....

Dicky, you perfectly illustrate everything that frustrates me about too many people associated with this club.  You cannot transcend the ''small club'' mentality.  You''re happy to accept that there will be times when we ''underperform'' - for how long?.  You quite like thing the way they are  - what nine years in Div 1, one season in the Prem and immediately relegated?  What lofty aspirations you have?

You and people like you think that I and people like me are a hinderence to the club, I would argue that exactly the reverse is true.

I agree with you 100% Balham Yellow. Dicky has a problem with anyone choosing to call themselves a Norwich fan unless they happen to be attending the games currently. This post here, however, shows how narrow and small-minded his thinking is. Norwich are quite capable of being one of the top 16 teams playing in the English league. If Dicky had any time invested in where we came from ( when we were a small club ) he might feel a little differently. A lot of good people have contributed over the decades to building the club to this point, and this small-minded attitude by Dicky ( and any others who think like him ) is an insult to that heritage.

[quote]I agree with you 100% Balham Yellow. Dicky has a problem with anyone choosing to call themselves a Norwich fan unless they happen to be attending the games currently. This post here, however, shows ho...[/quote]

Oh hear we go - so we can compete with the top teams and unless we do then we should sack the manager, the board, the tea lady....  How about a dose of reality.

Or perhaps you do just enjoy a good moan, cos I can''t remember too many "non-moany" posts from you.

You never know, if you went to games you might appreciate the great atmosphere amongst the fans that are there.  It is not all doom and gloom.

I''m afraid you ( and others like you ) are the one that needs to deal with reality Dicky. The reality is that there is absolutely no reason at all why Norwich can not, and should not, aspire to be one of the top 16 teams in England. Don''t just give us your same old old nonsense suggesting that anyone who does not agree with your point of view is a "moaner". Come up with some intelligent input as to why you disagree with others....not this same old song book you keep singing from. Of course we cannot compete with the scale of teams such as Chelsea, Manchester United etc. However, of the 20 teams in the Premiership there is no reason we cannot regard ourselves as equivalent or better in scale than West Brom, Wigan, Fulham, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Bolton or Charlton. To me, that''s a reason for having a healthy outlook to improve. Not this small attitude of "we''re a small club and that will never change". We are already capable of competing with the clubs I identify if we are managed in the right way, no question in my mind about that whatsoever. Incidentally, I think it''s great if there''s a great atmosphere at the ground and I am happy that you enjoy it. Just don''t be so bloody minded to not recognise and appreciate why the fans react negatively sometimes, such as when McVeigh was substituted for in the Reading game. Incidentally, instead of just complaining about other people and categorizing them as "moaners" take a look at the variety of input provided by people like me and others that you have pigeon-holed. If you broaden that little mind of yours you will see a great variety of input and, who knows, it might even rub off on you and you too will become a more interesting poster.

[quote]I''m afraid you ( and others like you ) are the one that needs to deal with reality Dicky. The reality is that there is absolutely no reason at all why Norwich can not, and should not, aspire to be one...[/quote]

Something to aspire to - becoming as interesting at you!!

[quote]Dicky, you perfectly illustrate everything that frustrates me about too many people associated with this club. You cannot transcend the ''small club'' mentality. You''re happy to accept that there will...[/quote]

Okay, so you name me one team that doesn''t underperform at times?

Go on, try it.

Just because we''ve had one season in the Premiership doesn''t suddenly mean we are going to p**s all over every Championship squad. The fact remains, we are playing much better as a team than we were at the start of the season.

Back to your original post - we were not awful in the second half at Brighton. If we had been awful they would have generated many chances and won the match. As it stood they had one wonder-goal, and not many other chances. I don''t really see how that can be classed as awful. Would you rather we went all out for the entire 90 minutes, risking injury and fatigue, even though we were cruising at 2-0 up and went on to win the game very comfortably?

[quote]I agree with you 100% Balham Yellow. Dicky has a problem with anyone choosing to call themselves a Norwich fan unless they happen to be attending the games currently. This post here, however, shows ho...[/quote]

You presumably would be happy to see a well run club descend into a downward spiral of sack the manager at huge expense and replace with some overpaid has-been, then rinse and repeat every 12 months when the inevitable happens ''till we''re bankrupt?
Not my idea of how to run a football club.

If you want to establish a club of our size at the top level it takes time, nurturing of homegrown talent, canny transfer dealings and often a relegation before you bounce back stronger.

All seems to be progressing acceptably from my point of view.

Balham - I do have to disagree with your assertions too. Say we were awful against Watford or Stoke and people will agree I''m sure, but against the teams we beat. Well, all I can say is, if we were awful then don''t they say... if you can beat teams when playing badly then that is the sign of a great team.

Against Ipswich, we scored in the second half, they didn''t. They were always going to come at us once we''d scored... I think it''s completely unrealistic to think we can steamroller teams, especially away from home. We''re not good enough to do that. I''d expect Chelsea to steam-roller Brighton away (although judging by cup upsets over the years that sort of thing isn''t even guaranteed!). You really need to look at how sport works.

There are two sides in it. Were we awful in the second halves, or did the teams we were playing reorganise and go for it? Of the three games - Hull, Brighton, Ipswich, in which game did we concede more than we scored in the second half? Truly awful not.

" If you believe, as some of you obviously do, that ''Worthy and the boys'' have sorted it out and are heading for promotion then we have different ideas of what it takes to get out of this division."

Other than winning games, what do you think it takes then?

Time for some relaxation. It all reminds me of Monty Python... What have the Roman''s ever done for us?

As in "What has Worthy ever done for us?"
Erm, the Play-off final at Cardiff?
Yes but, what has he ever done...?
Promotion?
Yes but we got relegated. And players - his signings have been c**p!
What about Huckerby, Ashton?
Yes, well apart from them, his signings have all been c**p. And we haven''t really played well this season!
We beat our arch rivals away from home... again (infact we''ve never lost there in the 5 years Worthy has been in charge).
Yes but we haven''t beaten anyone good. And so on.

----------------

For your amusement:

REG: Yeah. All right, Stan. What have the Romans ever given us in return?!
XERXES: The aqueduct?
REG: What?
XERXES: The aqueduct.
REG: Oh. Yeah, yeah. They did give us that. Uh, that''s true. Yeah.
COMMANDO #3: And the sanitation.
LORETTA: Oh, yeah, the sanitation, Reg. Remember what the city used to be like?
REG: Yeah. All right. I''ll grant you the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done.
MATTHIAS: And the roads.
REG: Well, yeah. Obviously the roads. I mean, the roads go without saying, don''t they? But apart from the sanitation, the aqueduct, and the roads--
COMMANDO: Irrigation.
XERXES: Medicine.
COMMANDOS: Huh? Heh? Huh...
COMMANDO #2: Education.
COMMANDOS: Ohh...
REG: Yeah, yeah. All right. Fair enough.
COMMANDO #1: And the wine.
COMMANDOS: Oh, yes. Yeah...
FRANCIS: Yeah. Yeah, that''s something we''d really miss, Reg, if the Romans left. Huh.
COMMANDO: Public baths.
LORETTA: And it''s safe to walk in the streets at night now, Reg.
FRANCIS: Yeah, they certainly know how to keep order. Let''s face it. They''re the only ones who could in a place like this.
COMMANDOS: Hehh, heh. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.
REG: All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
XERXES: Brought peace.
REG: Oh. Peace? Shut up!