Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Re: Jordan Hugill

the Preston striker.

I note that Ip5w1ch Town have now put in two bids for this player, 1.5 and 2m. and both have been rejected.

I know little about him, but do know that McCarthy is a wily old bird when it comes to plucking talent from the leagues and 2m is a king''s ransom in terms of the finances he is afforded. He must rate Hugill very highly to bid so much.

Could we do with casting an eye in that direction?

We could offer that little bit more, presumably.

he was released as a youngster but then went through the Glen Hoddle academy.

looked a busy player in the recent FA cup tie against Arsenal and his contract finishes in the summer I believe - hence the price.

£2 Million pretty big bid for them , alas well above what we can afford without selling and thats how it will be from now on we will be a club with less money than the Binners .Well done Delia what a success you have made of this club , where has all the money gone ????? not on the team thats for sure or the ground  , just vanished into thin air maybe .

Isn''t he a bit of a big target man type player? If we were going to sign another striker I''d hope he''d be a bit different to the three we already have.

"It seems all we can offer is Half a crown and a Bernard Matthews turkey a week in wages."

We were able to offer decent money for the two Dutch (?) defenders and both signings have now fallen through.

We have the Olsson money at least, but I think that there might be a little bit more than just this available.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]the Preston striker.

I note that Ip5w1ch Town have now put in two bids for this player, 1.5 and 2m. and both have been rejected.

I know little about him, but do know that McCarthy is a wily old bird when it comes to plucking talent from the leagues and 2m is a king''s ransom in terms of the finances he is afforded. He must rate Hugill very highly to bid so much.

Could we do with casting an eye in that direction?

We could offer that little bit more, presumably.[/quote]You have no idea who Ipswich have bid for, or what they have bid. "Sources" or "reports" ARE NOT any verification whatsoever, as the recent guff £9m for Brady from Palace have shown.M

McCarthy is a wily old bird when it comes to plucking talent from the leagueseh ! ! !The one thing noticable about McCarthy''s tenure at poorman road is the huge number of failures he has dragged through the club. That is one of the major gripes the binners have with him. As well as any number of aged has beens he has brought in umpteen lower league players that have just not been up to it.Just because an agent is able to place a ''story'' in the media does not make that story either true, or have any element of truth in it.And City''s priority''s lay else where... a left back, left midfield, centre back(s) and maybe defensive midfield.

Calm down! I only suggested that "we could cast an eye" in the direction of Hugill.

Besides McCarthy said just today that he had made several seven figure bids for players and has previously mentioned Hugill as being a player who interests him.

At the same time TWTD reports that:-

"McCarthy says Town have made “millions-pound” offers with a second bid for Preston frontman Jordan Hugill of £2 million reported to have been rebuffed."

That''s good enough for me.

I have no intention of defending or detailing McCarthy''s record in the transfer market but am aware that he has had as many, if not more, failures than successes. I am also aware of the limited funds that have been made available to him.

I am also aware that from Mings through to Webster, with a few decent signings in between, of the market successes he has had despite these limited funds.

As a result of that that impoverished, spendthrift club have over-achieved for the last three seasons, even reaching the play-offs as we know.

That''s ''wilyness'' in my book.

" reported to have been rebuffed"by who ?Has it never occurred to why none of these stories are ever confirmed by an accountable source. Just as Brady''s swap with McCormack and Brady''s £9m transfer to Palace was ''reported''So why not simply say who reported it, just as the Pinkun''s report on AN''s denial of the Brady transfer. ?"I am also aware that from Mings through to Webster, with a few decent

signings in between, of the market successes he has had despite these

limited funds. "
Perhaps you would care to name these decent signings, and I presume you are including Mings in that lot.As to over achieving they have overspent in those seasons by an amount that a few years back had us in absolute terror because of the debt that caused. Having a ground that has had far call spent on it and almost non existent youth policy is hardly in the realms of over achieving.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"It seems all we can offer is Half a crown and a Bernard Matthews turkey a week in wages."

We were able to offer decent money for the two Dutch (?) defenders and both signings have now fallen through.

We have the Olsson money at least, but I think that there might be a little bit more than just this available.[/quote]
[:)]

[quote user="Billy Banter"]" reported to have been rebuffed"by who ?Has it never occurred to why none of these stories are ever confirmed by an accountable source. Just as Brady''s swap with McCormack and Brady''s £9m transfer to Palace was ''reported''So why not simply say who reported it, just as the Pinkun''s report on AN''s denial of the Brady transfer. ?"I am also aware that from Mings through to Webster, with a few decent

signings in between, of the market successes he has had despite these

limited funds. "
Perhaps you would care to name these decent signings, and I presume you are including Mings in that lot.As to over achieving they have overspent in those seasons by an amount that a few years back had us in absolute terror because of the debt that caused. Having a ground that has had far call spent on it and an almost non existent youth policy is hardly in the realms of over achieving.

[/quote]coo-eee Mr Broadstairsany news on these ''decent signings'' ?

I wasn''t going to bother answering you (as with others, ) but as you seem to be getting over-excited about this trivial point I will attempt a reply.

The exact words in my opening post were that McCarthy is a ''wily old bird at picking talent from the leagues.'' The "leagues" meaning other than the Premier League (ie, Football League.)

I did not specify age-range either.

When McCarthy took over that club were sitting bottom of the league. He elevated them to 14th. in his first half season.

In his first full season he ''bought'' the likes of Chambers and Berra and strengthened the defense taking them to 9th. Over-achievement indeed without real funding.

He was then to add the like of Pittman and Sears and he took the club into the play-offs. There are a few other decent players, but there is no reason why I should be an expert other than occasional visits to TWTD, (the same as you apparently and also many others on here.)

He has acquired the best rated goalkeeper (by many) in the league in Bialkowski.

It has been estimated by a poster on TWTD (and who are we to argue) that MM has spent just over 4m pounds during his four year tenure at Ipswich Town ( cv with AN who spent twice as much on Naismith.)

That he may have spent more in loan fees is probable, but he has acquired some good loanees, eg. Jonny Williams that have contributed to this over-achievement.

His achievements with such limited funds have resulted in a club expecting relegation achieving 9th., play-offs and 7th. in the last three full seasons.

Where do we currently sit? How much has AN spent?

The wheels at McCarthy Town have come off recently and the support has turned because of the dire quality of the football. Long may it continue.

(I am not in the slightest indicating that I would want McCarthy at Carrow Road, but credit where it is due.)

However, I retract nothing at all from my original posting.

Happy now?

Trivial pursuits indeed.

Come on Billy Banter, or whatever you call yourself today.

Please reply.

I couldn''t play golf today so I''m in the mood for some aggro., and you are the prize plum.

Aha, a cornerstone of your argument now becomes trivial .... because you cannot offer up anything factual in it''s support. Dear me.As to where we currently sit, if that was the sole arbiter then I would ask where the two clubs sat exactly two years ago. We were 7 points below them. Was that position then any means of judging the season ?I suspect that you have dropped your claims about transfer dealing once you checked that those recent multi million pound sales were not from players McCarthy signed ... shame you didn''t check who signed Mings before you used him as part of your argument. Those sales do suggest that the funds were not as limited as some would have us believe.It is just that McCarthy chose to use those funds to pay high wages to a small few ''senior'' players. Fine if it comes off (which it hasn''t) 7th is no better than 17th in what it achieves, but disaster when you measure the cost of the long term damage to the squad and the youth policy.You mention Pittman, who actually joined as part payment for Mings rather than being discovered by McCarthy. Simliarly the keeper, who had been on loan at Ipswich, before McCarthys arrivalAnd Williams who has spent more time injured, whilst on his various loans, than actually playing. Is Leon Best another one of these decent signings ? Even McCarthy has accepted that he is shyte and stated that he will not play for the club again.I suspect McCarthy may well be off this summer, leaving a wreckage of a squad. More than half of the regular 1st team are 30 plus (with that showing) with few youngster coming through. His time has seen an endless stream of lower league failures passing through and aging has been wheezing out their last few games on high wages.However much you might want to spin it, an aircraft plunging to the ground is not in the same position as one it momentarily passes on the way up. Yep they may share air space in close proximity, but that is all.Finally as to trivial pursuit I would suggest it is more a case of a fruitless pursuit. The one you undoubtedly took in search of McCarthy''s supposed transfer success. Not so much a wily old bird, as a dodo. Non existent.

No doubt about it McCarthy is  head and shoulders better than Neil , for me Neil galvanised Adams squad to promotion since then its been all downhill , and a very expensive hill too . Millions upon millions wasted , still no decent defence still only one passable striker ,Any decent manager would have shipped out the likes of Martin , Jerome , Bassong the moment we were promoted but no they are still here after yet another relegation .Alex Neil for me is a fraud and ranks up there with the worst managers we have ever had , luckily for him Delia seems to find him irresistable but in what way i have no idea but its certainly nothing to do with his ability as a manager.

[quote user="Time to go Delia"]No doubt about it McCarthy is  head and shoulders better than Neil , for me Neil galvanised Adams squad to promotion since then its been all downhill , and a very expensive hill too . Millions upon millions wasted , still no decent defence still only one passable striker ,Any decent manager would have shipped out the likes of Martin , Jerome , Bassong the moment we were promoted but no they are still here after yet another relegation .Alex Neil for me is a fraud and ranks up there with the worst managers we have ever had , luckily for him Delia seems to find him irresistable but in what way i have no idea but its certainly nothing to do with his ability as a manager. [/quote]Now there''s a surprise, you popping up on here praising the blue filth and attacking CitySomething you were doing a day or so ago on another thread.Perhaps your time might be better stealing charity collection boxes young binboy

"Finally as to trivial pursuit I would suggest it is more a case of a fruitless pursuit. The one you undoubtedly took in search of McCarthy''s supposed transfer success."

Blimey, you seem to know more about Ipswich Town football club than our own.

I suggest you transfer your obvious talents to TWTD. You might even be more popular.

McCarthy has achieved a lot there considering the funding he has had.

Deny that?

As usual you will only select the facts that suit you.

Some City fans and its getting more and more can see what a disgrace these owners are and what a shambles of a club this will be untill they are gone , the sooner time marches on and rids us of them the better .

"Some City fans and its getting more and more can see what a disgrace these owners are and what a shambles of a club this will be until they are gone , the sooner time marches on and rids us of them the better .

Well said.

I''m a happy clapper by instinct.

Even sands shift.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"Finally as to trivial pursuit I would suggest it is more a case of a fruitless pursuit. The one you undoubtedly took in search of McCarthy''s supposed transfer success."

Blimey, you seem to know more about Ipswich Town football club than our own.

I suggest you transfer your obvious talents to TWTD. You might even be more popular.

McCarthy has achieved a lot there considering the funding he has had.

Deny that?

As usual you will only select the facts that suit you.[/quote]or in reality merely refuting, with evidence your unsubstantiated claimsif you post up a claim that I then refute it is hardly a defence to say I am being selectiveyou then go on to challenge me to refute something that is subjective an arsonist achieves a lot, just as a wrecking ball does to a buildinghowever what you have failed to do is qualify any of these ''achievements'' by putting them into any contextwhereas I have pointed out that McCarthy has had the benefit of transfer income from sales of players that have been sold during his time as manager, which he has then wasted on numerous lower league failures, aged has beens and injury prone sick notesthe youth policy is shot, with barely any being brought through the ranksif a wild west locomotive keeps going by dint of ripping up the carriages behind to feed into the firebox, then that''s an achievement, of some kind... but at what cost some might saythe club is millions more in debt, has seen it''s attendances drop even further and has a squad that doesn''t have another season in it - some achievement that, if keeping a corpse warm is an achievement

ps bothering to back your claims with evidence is not a talent as you claim, more a courtesy to others

ok, slowly for youyou made claims that you could not backI have not, or am, trying to change your point you asked me to disprove your opinion, which even you must recognise is not really possiblewhereas refuting the ''facts'' that form that opinion is what is debate is about... that''s what I what I didbut then you do have form in having rather odd opinions, as with this -[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Neil denies every rumour.

It''s becoming a pattern.

Believe him and NCFC has no communication with the outside world (of football.) whatsoever.[/quote]A post that as good as states that Alex Neil is lying when he refutes rumours. A situation I cannot see the directors allowing, were it to be true.As with above, you seen unable to distinguish between what is factual and what is your rather Walter Mitty view of the world.So might I ask, has Alex Neil been lying ? A simple answer without resorting the the ''victim card'' will do.

P.S. Laughing stock.

eg. This thread is about Hugill, yet you are so worked up about it all that you now pluck from other threads.

Relax.

You are only digging a deeper hole for yourself.

"It''s really not worth giving City1st the time of day."

True, but it''s only an occasional pastime and he gets so worked up it becomes fun.

More important is that these spats are rude and not considerate of other users on this forum.

I''ll end it.

From TWTD:-

"McCarthy on Hugill: "It''s Sod''s Law that he scores. Simon (Grayson) just nudged me and said ''four million''!"

We do need another striker and this player can score.

We most certainly need to strengthen the defense as a priority, so 4m would likely be out of the question in view of our finances.

Poverty is beginning to hit us where it hurts.