Sign in to follow this  
morty

Mulumbu

Can''t say we''ve missed him, how far away is Thompson from being back?

If DR Congo – who also have former Norwich loan striker Dieumerci Mbokani in their squad – win their quarter-final then Mulumbu will be away until at least Saturday, February 4 for a third-place play-off.

That would mean he would also miss the trip to Cardiff City and potentially the match at Wigan Athletic on Tuesday, February 7 as well.

[quote user="Indy"]Can''t say we''ve missed him, how far away is Thompson from being back?[/quote]Everything I have heard sounds like "Nowhere near".Couple of games recently when he played, he was pretty good actually.

[quote user="VanWink"]If they lose the QF on Sunday he''ll be heading home.[/quote]Yeah.You said.

Can''t say I miss him. Would much rather Dorrans or Thompson heal up!

[quote user="AJ"]Can''t say I miss him. Would much rather Dorrans or Thompson heal up![/quote]

In my opinion Dorrans is not missed at all. Brings very little to the team, and his presence coincided with the terrible run.

Out of contract at the end of the season, won''t be missed when he leaves.

You can see the signs of a good player on there but he looks so immobile and slow.

[quote user="king canary"]Out of contract at the end of the season, won''t be missed when he leaves.

You can see the signs of a good player on there but he looks so immobile and slow.[/quote]As I said, the few times I saw him fill in, I thought he looked okay.Okay to fill in, not win another contract. Our options in central midfield are pretty limited, we seem to be one injury away from disaster there, just now.

[quote user="VanWink"]"As I said, the few times I saw him fill in, I thought he looked okay."

Yeh we know.[/quote]Stop being a pr1ck, theres a good lad.

Dr Ink - I thought Dorrans had done well in most of the games he''s played this season to be fair. Was on fire for the period in which we went top.

He''s certainly better than Mulumbu.

Also, sort of going back to topic - has Mulumbu actually played any game time at the ACON?

[quote user="AJ"]Dr Ink - I thought Dorrans had done well in most of the games he''s played this season to be fair. Was on fire for the period in which we went top.

He''s certainly better than Mulumbu.

Also, sort of going back to topic - has Mulumbu actually played any game time at the ACON?[/quote]Yeah he played in the last game, I thought I read 75 minutes, but could be wrong.Agree re Dorrans.

Just had a look and it seems like he played the entire game - which is good. Having him sat on the bench out there is no benefit to us, it''s much better if he''s actually getting some game time.

[quote user="AJ"]Just had a look and it seems like he played the entire game - which is good. Having him sat on the bench out there is no benefit to us, it''s much better if he''s actually getting some game time.[/quote]Very much so. If he gets a bit fitter then I have no issue with him as a squad filler, maybe with a one year extension, if necessary.

If he stays as ''squad filler'' it would be absurd.

He''s probably on some decent wages as he was signed for the Premier League and yet has been nothing more than a backup in the Championship.

I''d much rather see us use the likes of Thompson and Godfrey who actually have a future here rather than over paid, over the hill players like Mulumbu.

[quote user="king canary"]If he stays as ''squad filler'' it would be absurd.

He''s probably on some decent wages as he was signed for the Premier League and yet has been nothing more than a backup in the Championship.

I''d much rather see us use the likes of Thompson and Godfrey who actually have a future here rather than over paid, over the hill players like Mulumbu.[/quote]Well obviously so would I, but that very much depends on the pace of their development, doesn''t it?We find ourself in a situation, right now, where we could actually do with overpaid, over the hill Mulumbu.

We only need him due to an injury crisis though- Thompson and Dorrans injured, Tettey on the verge of a suspension.

And yet still he''s not exactly missed is he? A quick google seems to suggest he was on £40k a week in the Premier League- obviously will have gone down on relegation- and we can''t afford that for a player who has made a grand total of 13 starts in a season and a half.

[quote user="king canary"]We only need him due to an injury crisis though- Thompson and Dorrans injured, Tettey on the verge of a suspension.

And yet still he''s not exactly missed is he? A quick google seems to suggest he was on £40k a week in the Premier League- obviously will have gone down on relegation- and we can''t afford that for a player who has made a grand total of 13 starts in a season and a half.[/quote]I think its patently obvious that if he were to be offered a new deal, it wouldn''t be at the money he is on now.

But even at half the wages he''s on now we could surely find someone better?

I''m just a bit confused how anyone can think on the basis of what we''ve seen from Mulumbu that he is worth keeping around. He''s on a downward slope, is often out injured and has never managed to establish himself in the first team. Why not use that money on someone younger or another area of the team?

As of next season we should have Tettey, Howson, Dorrans and Thompson to compete for those central midfield positions plus Godfrey and Grant coming through from the youth teams. Mulumbu would be a waste of space.

[quote user="king canary"]But even at half the wages he''s on now we could surely find someone better?

I''m just a bit confused how anyone can think on the basis of what we''ve seen from Mulumbu that he is worth keeping around. He''s on a downward slope, is often out injured and has never managed to establish himself in the first team. Why not use that money on someone younger or another area of the team?

As of next season we should have Tettey, Howson, Dorrans and Thompson to compete for those central midfield positions plus Godfrey and Grant coming through from the youth teams. Mulumbu would be a waste of space.[/quote]The original intention of the thread was about how I wouldn''t mind him as an option right now.When he filled in, recently, he wasn''t bad, and certainly fine as a squad filler.Really thats all, I''m not advocating us suddenly building our team round him. You have to remember that within a squad you need players that are fine with the fact that they aren''t going to start every game.

I think Dorrans is really good at this level. Interestingly he used to play a much more attacking role at West Brom whereas here when he plays he tends to be the deeper of the central two.

Either way, he very rarely gives away the ball, can run with it well and can kind-of tackle too. He certainly has quiet games but never terrible ones.

Mulumbu is OK but I can''t help but think of a baby Giraffe chasing a ball around for the first time every time I see him play.

Yes I know you need squad players. I just don''t want those squad fillers on wages for first teamers. Gary O''Neil is an example of a perfect squad filler- happy to be in and out of the team, good solid pro and not on too much money.

[quote user="king canary"]Yes I know you need squad players. I just don''t want those squad fillers on wages for first teamers. Gary O''Neil is an example of a perfect squad filler- happy to be in and out of the team, good solid pro and not on too much money.[/quote]Which is why I said, above, that were it to happen, it would have to be on reduced wages.

I quite like Dorrans. On the ball he''s a great example of a deep-lying playmaker at this level, only problem being a lessening mobility so teams can give him the runaround. Was exactly what happened at Brighton, with the equally cumbersome Tettey getting turned around time and again.

Where Mulumbu is concerned, he''s just never really arrived, has he?